Jump to content
CoachWrestling

Gable Stevenson will go down as the greatest college wrestler ever

Recommended Posts

On 1/31/2019 at 11:09 AM, ionel said:

First reason I'd say you are wrong is because you probably don't even know who is on the list.

But, if before his 3rd year of college he is an undefeated 2x NCAA champ and has won a men's Olympic gold in wrestling then come back and talk to us cause he's half way there.  Till then its just a silly thread.

How would you know what I know about wrestling. Quit making an ass out of yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 6:39 PM, CoachWrestling said:

Convince me I’m wrong.  

How would you know what I know about wrestling. 

See above, if you don't want to know/be convinced then don't ask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, tommygun said:

How many 133lbers could beat 165 or 174lbers?  That’s what Gable does (Snyder did) many matches.   Oh, and that dude wrestles like a light weight in my opinion.  His ankle pick reminds me of Cael’s too.   

Snyder can't ride to save his life, either. He's better suited for FS, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 7:30 AM, Plasmodium said:

Stoll is going to beat him and this thread will be moot.

Can’t lose to Stoll if he’s quacking. And Steveson is most likely going to embarrass him when they finally met up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Spencer Lee, but there were many asking the same foolish question early last year.

BTW while we are at it. Spencer Rattier the top HS QB in the Nation just signed with Oklahoma.  Do you ink he will win multiple Heismans, bring them a championship, and go down as the best collegiate football player of all time?

Before I go, I have a serious response to this thread's premise - No, he won't.

Edited by Hman1979
incomplete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen Gable a few times this season and so far and he's looked great.

Was really looking forward to his match against Sam Stoll but unfortunately it didn't happen. Hope to see this match-up somewhere in the postseason and will be interesting to see if Stoll locks up and goes Greco against Steveson. We saw how Gable lost at Jr World's last summer (thrown and decked), and I'm sure Stoll is still dangerous with his throws. Otherwise I would think Gable beats Stoll handily.

Really looking forward to this style match-up, if Stoll goes for it, meaning upper body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May not be a popular opinion but...I would have a tough time considering any Hwt 4X champ as the GOAT. The weight class as a whole is not as competitive as the others.  The skill level of the No 10 to 15 HWT is not as close as say the No 10 to 15 guy at 133. A top 5 Hwt can be having a really bad day and still demolish a no 10 to 15 Hwt but a top 133 lb guy having a bad day could easily lose to a 10 to 15 tanked guy.  There's just not the same depth

Not sure how to phrase this but - what percent of wrestling positions and technique will a no 20 hwt never be in or experience in a season compared to the positions and technique that every 133 lb wrestler  will experience many times in a week?  The point is that Hwt's do not have to be as proficient in wrestling moves and situations compared to the skill level in the lower weights. Does a Hwt have to be aware of the defense for a Kolat flip or execute one ? 

I am not saying that they do not work hard or are not tough and I am sure they take a beating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, Hman1979 said:

I love Spencer Lee, but there were many asking the same foolish question early last year.

BTW while we are at it. Spencer Rattier the top HS QB in the Nation just signed with Oklahoma.  Do you ink he will win multiple Heismans, bring them a championship, and go down as the best collegiate football player of all time?

Before I go, I have a serious response to this thread's premise - No, he won't.

 

IF Rattler starts at OU, not a given despite being the consensus #1 dual threat QB, he WILL win multiple championships (Big 12, not NCAA) and if Mayfield/Murray are any indication I'd say he has a fair chance of winning the Heisman. Greatest collegiate football player of all time? Well, as the #1 QB he probably has a higher chance than anyone else in his class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jstock said:

May not be a popular opinion but...I would have a tough time considering any Hwt 4X champ as the GOAT. The weight class as a whole is not as competitive as the others.  The skill level of the No 10 to 15 HWT is not as close as say the No 10 to 15 guy at 133. A top 5 Hwt can be having a really bad day and still demolish a no 10 to 15 Hwt but a top 133 lb guy having a bad day could easily lose to a 10 to 15 tanked guy.  There's just not the same depth

Not sure how to phrase this but - what percent of wrestling positions and technique will a no 20 hwt never be in or experience in a season compared to the positions and technique that every 133 lb wrestler  will experience many times in a week?  The point is that Hwt's do not have to be as proficient in wrestling moves and situations compared to the skill level in the lower weights. Does a Hwt have to be aware of the defense for a Kolat flip or execute one ? 

I am not saying that they do not work hard or are not tough and I am sure they take a beating. 

Not completely disagreeing but, just because a technique or style is different or not as exciting, is it less technique?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, teach said:

Not completely disagreeing but, just because a technique or style is different or not as exciting, is it less technique?

Less is more, sometimes. Kyle Dake was an amazing wrestler, but nobody would ever accuse "Kid Dynamite" of being a scoring machine out there. David Taylor on the other hand pinned or teched nearly everybody he wrestled every year. We all saw what happened between those two amazing wrestlers. 

Hwt wrestling is different than the other classes. But I think Steveson's credentials on the FS WORLD scene show that he's a top notch wrestler regardless of weight. He's a natural athlete, not even filled out yet, not a flabby dude like most of the HWTS. I think he needs to be a little more aggressive, personally, but he's well on the way to 4 years of unbeaten greatness. Is it possible he could be upset? Hell yeah, you never know what the hell these kids are thinking of. But he's got a mean edge to him, hates to give up points, is competitive. I'm a huge fan already.

Here's a fat boy. Kinda interesting what happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about this - Gable is a big kid and has some room to lean out. What if he did a reverse Dake and wins at 4 different weight classes, dropping down each year. I could see giving him the nod if he does that.  He would not only have to wrestle more guys that posses the full compliment of wrestling skills, he would also experience a weight cut like most others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Less is more, sometimes. Kyle Dake was an amazing wrestler, but nobody would ever accuse "Kid Dynamite" of being a scoring machine out there. David Taylor on the other hand pinned or teched nearly everybody he wrestled every year. We all saw what happened between those two amazing wrestlers. 

Hwt wrestling is different than the other classes. But I think Steveson's credentials on the FS WORLD scene show that he's a top notch wrestler regardless of weight. He's a natural athlete, not even filled out yet, not a flabby dude like most of the HWTS. I think he needs to be a little more aggressive, personally, but he's well on the way to 4 years of unbeaten greatness. Is it possible he could be upset? Hell yeah, you never know what the hell these kids are thinking of. But he's got a mean edge to him, hates to give up points, is competitive. I'm a huge fan already.

Here's a fat boy. Kinda interesting what happens.

 

What state is this in? New Mexico? No way its a top tier state. Who runs a half on a fat man and isn't looking for a roll? Having said that, when it comes to a guy who rolls, the shorter and fatter the better. Used to have a kid on my team who placed in state with that move alone. He would give up the takedown and get a pin damn near every time unless it was a legit guy.  It was very hard to stop, and he was least impressive looking athlete in the tourney. Ok, continue the Gable discussion. 

Edited by russelscout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, russelscout said:

What state is this in? New Mexico? No way its a top tier state. Who runs a half on a fat man and isn't looking for a roll? Having said that, when it comes to a guy who rolls, the shorter and fatter the better. Used to have a kid on my team who placed in state with that move alone. He would give up the takedown and get a pin damn near every time unless it was a legit guy.  It was very hard to stop, and he was least impressive looking athlete in the tourney. Ok, continue the Gable discussion. 

It's from Pennsylvania.

JK, I have no idea what state it's from. Frankly I thought the skillset of the 220 pound "State Champ" was pretty weak. NM could be correct, this state is essentially Hell for wrestling. 

Don't underestimate the fat boys. Some of them are real beasts. Just because a guy weighs 400 pounds that doesn't mean he's packing 400 pounds of lard around. There may very well be a svelte 300 pounds of muscle hiding under that lard.

 

 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

It's from Pennsylvania.

JK, I have no idea what state it's from. Frankly I thought the skillset of the 220 pound "State Champ" was pretty weak. NM could be correct, this state is essentially Hell for wrestling. 

Don't underestimate the fat boys. Some of them are real beasts. Just because a guy weighs 400 pounds that doesn't mean he's packing 400 pounds of lard around. There may very well be a svelte 300 pounds of muscle hiding under that lard.

 

 

You’re right. 

As a senior in high school, Jimmy Jackson was a physical specimen of a heavyweight - not fat at all.

Fast forward a couple of years at Oklahoma State and he’d put on a lot of body fat, I’d estimate at least 75lbs.

He looked more like a soft, fat guy than anything else, but clearly, there was a huge amount of muscle under all of that body fat. 

And he was a dominant 3x NCAA champion in the era of Unlimited mastodons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to say for certain but at minimum he'll have to go undefeated and 4 titles. The fact that he is a true freshman makes it even more impressive.

I don't want to definitively say yes or no but he is one of a handful of wrestlers in decades that have the ability and talent to do so. 

And someone mentioned being adored by fans or counting coaching record which is bollocks. He is a cocky SOB but that doesn't diminish what he is doing/will do on the mat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×