CoachWrestling

Gable Stevenson will go down as the greatest college wrestler ever

Not that it’s necessarily ‘fair’ but with Cael now dominating as a coach added to his college career he will forever he cemented as the GWOAT. Hard to think of Cael and not associate both attributes. 

Unrelated but ‘funny’ to think about... with Cael, the fact that he’s an Olympic champ gets glossed over.

In before Stevenson won’t be the greatest.

Ok getting that out of the way, I think the fact that he’s a heavyweight will hurt him since people think of many of his opponents as big fat dudes.  He’ll need to be a lot more dominant in his matches before getting consideration IMO.

You are not necessarily wrong but you are not necessarily right either.   It is neither verifiable or falsifiable at this time. 

It is pure speculation right now and in order to be considered, he will minimally have to (a) win four titles and (b)  go undefeated over that time and (c) a have a very high bonus rate.  Having (d) three or more Hodge trophies will help the case. 

That is a tall order indeed. 

The conversation probably shouldn't even start until he wins two titles as an undefeated 285 pounder.

My sense is that if you truly believe your claim, you will be able to get some folks to bet against you that the above requirements won't happen.  That will make your claim more interesting.

"Greatest college wrestler" will still even be debatable if he somehow manages to match Sanderson's accomplishments.  A long shot for sure. 

The odds of all that happening are .... what?  Maybe 20% tops at this point in his career?

Edited by dmm53

If he goes undefeated and wins 4 NCAA titles without a red shirt then he will surpass Cael. That’s pretty much the only way to do it. Plus he has to be very dominant for at least his last two years or some will still use that to argue for Cael. He is capable but it’s just so hard to do that it’s still unlikely. Even if he wins this year, there are some other stud heavyweights coming along that depending on their development could challenge him.

His last loss was to Tony Nelson what like 5-3 and his other loss was by tech 10-0 to Coon at the US Open. The heavyweight division has cleared out in college. I agree Snyder, Gwiz, Coon and a few others would have easily beat him. Varner, Cox I bet could beat him as well. When Cael went up between his Freshman and Sophomore year he should have beat Gutches. Even if he did go unbeaten he is going to need to step it up to be GOAT. I just don't see it. 

When IMart finished his first year undefeated he was looking good. When Nolf pinned him midseason his second year and then beat him in big tens and nationals he was looking like a shoe in to be a 4x champ. We all know what happened. 

If he can go undefeated and win it all 4x then yes, he would be the goat. No red shirt and undefeated > Carl. Really the only way to take the throne, honestly (4 different weights isnt even close)

Just now, WF89 said:

When Gwiz was a true freshman,  rSo Tony Nelson beat him 8-0 first round at NCAA’s.  

Gable was a hair away from beating Nelson, when Nelson was a 27 year old man (age estimated not precise) and Gable had recently turned 18. Amazing.  When you think about how much bigger, stronger, and better he will be three  years from now it's scary.  He will be an absolute force.  

As to whether he can be a four-time unbeaten champ, that's a tall order.  One thing that helps him is that his style is so active, as opposed to if he was a plodding 3-2 type of wrestler, so that makes him more upset proof.  That said, when you look at how many impressive young heavyweights there are it's going to be a very tall order.  Seems like every week you've got a young gun here doing something amazing.

Mason Parris dismantled #1 ranked Desi.

Seth Nevills won convincingly over All-American Hemida- and looked great doing so.

Cassioppi, Hilger, Orndorff, Singletary and Elam have all showed great potential at times.  Some wrestlers in that group will progress way more than we're expecting right now.

Still in HS you have Connor Schultz and Kerkleviet- who to me shows more raw talent than any heavyweight prospect I've ever seen...

27 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

When IMart finished his first year undefeated he was looking good. When Nolf pinned him midseason his second year and then beat him in big tens and nationals he was looking like a shoe in to be a 4x champ. We all know what happened. 

But IMar was not the phenom that Gable was coming into college.  He was very good but not great.  Remember he got worked by BoJo in HS a few times.  IMar never won a world title, much less multiple ones.  So the comparison is not a good one.  Gable is a phenom and his current trajectory is pointing to a 4 X'r.  However, Hwt is going to be the best it has been in the next few years. 

1 hour ago, randyfoxwell said:

Hes definitely good, but I also think kerkvliet and schultz will give him trouble in the next few years. Also hes lucky he wasn't a year older and missed out on snyder 

In which case, he would’ve redshirted like Sanderson. 

2 hours ago, Perry said:

If he can go undefeated and win it all 4x then yes, he would be the goat. No red shirt and undefeated > Carl. Really the only way to take the throne, honestly (4 different weights isnt even close)

four different weights is just the START of Dakes credentials to be in the argument.

Strange and unexpected things happen over the course of four years and maybe 120 matches. 

Could a 197 pounder bump up over the next three years and beat him?  Not likely.  But I bet Nickal gives Cassar a good match and if Minnesota had wrestled PSU in a dual that didn't matter much for standing or rankings, he could conceivably have given Steveson a solid match if he was game.

Guys take losses because of in-match injuries (e.g., Nolf vs. Rutgers). 

Wrestlers sometimes compete when under the weather and lose in OT or TB (maybe Steiber vs. Zain).

Elite guys occasionally  get caught in a throw or because of their own bad moves  (Nickal vs. Indiana or Myles Martin freshman year; or perhaps Joseph against Marinelli).

Contingencies, contingencies, contingencies. 

Gable has been pretty impressive this season, there's no doubt about that. I find it a bit premature to ask if he will go down as the "greatest college wrestler ever" considering he hasn't won an NCAA title yet. Right now, he's probably the favorite this year and could very well be an undefeated true freshman champ when the year ends. But over the course of 4 years, there are a lot of things that can happen. At the beginning of this season, there were many people who thought Spencer Lee might never win by less than a major for the rest of career, let alone lose a match, and we see how that's played out. I wasn't active on these boards until recently, but I imagine people were saying the same thing about Imar after his freshman year. No doubt that all of the aforementioned wrestlers are freaking studs, but "greatest ever" is quite a distinction that, IMO, can't be accomplished in one year