CoachWrestling

Gable Stevenson will go down as the greatest college wrestler ever

He’ll be back. 

Maybe, but that's not what this thread was about.  Your first post said convince me that I'm wrong, well I think Gable just did.

Edited by KCMO2

If he wins out this year and beyond without another loss I'd still put him over cael. Cael lost as a redshirt and there's no telling if he would have won it all. You could speculate that he would but you could never be sure

8 minutes ago, Perry said:

If he wins out this year and beyond without another loss I'd still put him over cael. Cael lost as a redshirt and there's no telling if he would have won it all. You could speculate that he would but you could never be sure

Not after losing to a first time Big 10 qualifier who is giving up at least 30 lbs

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Gable hasn't red shirted and probably won't so we can't say for sure if he would lose two matches during that year, so i'll stick with Cael.

Gable has done great this year, for sure. 

I don’t think anyone would be shocked to see him win the title in a couple of weeks. 

That said, I’m predicting that he’ll be scouted and figured out by mid-next year, as was Lee and countless other stud freshman in the past. 

After this happens, he will still be a force to be reckoned with and should win at least a couple of titles, but I really don’t think he’ll be a 4x’er.

Some here are already predicting he won’t give up another takedown during his career.

I think he’ll be taken down several times during his career (like most wrestlers).

In fact, I’m making the bold prediction that he gets pinned at least once during his career.

Don’t get me wrong, he has talent galore and the potential to win 4 titles.

I don’t believe he’ll be able to do it. 

He’s a superb wrestler, but dominating for 4 years in DI has proven to be very difficult to do. Those who’ve managed to do it are truly special!

10 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I haven't seen the match, but losing to Cassar has certainly taken the shine of Steveson's "greatness".  Hopefully I can watch it tonight.

Don't bother cuz you didn't miss much of anything. I thought it look like 2 normal heavy wallowing around not doing anything until the very end of the match. Just fast forward to about a minute to go within the third that's all you need

2 hours ago, Perry said:

Hard to compare.  Less depth at HVWT in general.  You could also argue what Dake accomplished is more impressive than Cael's 4 titles.    

12 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Don't bother cuz you didn't miss much of anything. I thought it look like 2 normal heavy wallowing around not doing anything until the very end of the match. Just fast forward to about a minute to go within the third that's all you need

I agree with your assessment, but what transpired does pose a some important and interesting questions. 

Why did Steveson wrestle almost completely differently than we seen in his previous matches? He seemed very tentative and passive on his feet, vice being the hunter-killer we’ve become used to seeing. 

Did Cassar’s strength and mobility impress/intimidate him? 

Did he lack confidence?

If so, what about Cassar and this match got into his mind?

To me, Gable didn’t seem himself right from the starting whistle. 

Perhaps he was overconfident in his ability to intentionally wait to score a late takedown and win a close match?

Gosh, for a "197" lber, looked like Cassar was actually bigger and stronger than Steveson. Could be deceiving on tv but wonder what their actual weight was at weigh-ins.

Agree with Connorsdad, too bad they didn't open it up earlier. They both have great offense.

Cassar looks like a beast now. Seems like Gibbons and Johnson are right, Cassar looks 5 lbs heavier every time out. 

19 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Gosh, for a "197" lber, looked like Cassar was actually bigger and stronger than Steveson. Could be deceiving on tv but wonder what their actual weight was at weigh-ins.

Agree with Connorsdad, too bad they didn't open it up earlier. They both have great offense.

Cassar looks like a beast now. Seems like Gibbons and Johnson are right, Cassar looks 5 lbs heavier every time out. 

In an earlier post on this thread I raved about Steveson but complained about his passivity. He needs to work out there, stop being lazy. I can't stand when guys try to do the bare minimum at HWT.

9 minutes ago, Boompa said:

When we keep seeing 197 pounders go up to heavy and keep dominating....can we then stop talking about hwt like it's a relevant weight class?

And like we need a 220? Unless we need it to protect the big guys.