Sign in to follow this  
jerbufoon

Hodge Run

Who are in it?

Ruth 10 pins

Dake 16 pins

Oliver 14 pins

Stieber 12 pins

these numbers are totally bogus and just came out of my head. Can someone give the correct numbers if they know them.

who else are in the running?

Guys lets not kid ourselves. If Dake wins the title it is his. Ruth is the best guy in college I think but I would give it to Dake hands down. If Taylor pulls an upset it is Ruth's. If Ruth has bad tourny and Kigore gets more pins and beats Q easily then I go with Kilgore.

Guys lets not kid ourselves. If Dake wins the title it is his. Ruth is the best guy in college I think but I would give it to Dake hands down. If Taylor pulls an upset it is Ruth's. If Ruth has bad tourny and Kigore gets more pins and beats Q easily then I go with Kilgore.

It's not an MVP award. But yes, they will probably break the rules if Dake wins.

Lot of ifs there. Let's take a look at the Hodge criteria after all is said and done. Usually it (the criteria) tells a true tail.

I understand that I keep bringing up the criteria. However, that is what the voters go by. All said and done, I agree with the Dake choice. If he stays on this role, it is his. Should the big guy Kilgore dominate to the finals, then beat Q (an NCAA champ) in the finals..........then .....??

And the beat goes on.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I think it's Dake's to lose, even with a lower number of total pins than Killer.

But Dake racked up 2 more pins and a TF at the EIWAs, distancing the total further from Ruth and... maybe becoming the pin leader now? What's the latest count for the contenders? How many does Killer have now?

Dake is going to pin Taylor in a defensive cradle and finish with one pin more than Killer to win the Hodge and go down as the best wrestler in history with his 4 titles at 4 weights without a redshirt achievement.

So much wrong...head is going to explode... :shock:

Seriously. I get the jest of the first part, and assume it is probably also present in the second part of your post as well.

Just in case it isn't however...redshirt or not...Dake can not be the best collegiate wrestling in history, no matter what.

Edit: As for the topic...I think it is Dake's to lose at this point as well. I think Ruth is the better/more dominant wrestler - but Dake's numbers can wash with Ruth's, and when it gets to past accomplishments Dake is obviously a lock.

I am a fan of Ruth but I think he hurt himself with that 5-3 win at Big Ten finals. I have to slide Killer into that #2 slot now. But of the top three guys Ruth is almost certain to win it. KIller and Dake have the two most anticipated matches of the tourny which they could easily lose. I am really looking forward to Q vs Killer.

Darkhorses are:

Oliver

Maple

Waters

I am a fan of Ruth but I think he hurt himself with that 5-3 win at Big Ten finals. I have to slide Killer into that #2 slot now. But of the top three guys Ruth is almost certain to win it. KIller and Dake have the two most anticipated matches of the tourny which they could easily lose. I am really looking forward to Q vs Killer.

Darkhorses are:

Oliver

Maple

Waters

I don't think it is at all fair to say Ruth "hurt himself" because he won by decision in the B10 Finals. Truth be told, that single decision win is not changing a single thing. He, Dake, and Kilgore are have basically the same # of regular decision wins (somewhere around 5). Just because his last match was a decision win doesn't change his standing in the race. They evaluate your entire season for the Hodge...winning a match "only" by decision more recently than anyone else in the race will not hurt.

Like I said though, Dake is at the top in pins (with Kilgore) and Ruth not far behind. The dominance factor is basically a wash between these 3. If they all win titles - Dake gets the Hodge because he is the clear favorite over the other two in past accomplishments.

Dake is going to pin Taylor in a defensive cradle and finish with one pin more than Killer to win the Hodge and go down as the best wrestler in history with his 4 titles at 4 weights without a redshirt achievement.

With all due respect, I am somewhat surprised that you stated "best wrestler in history".

My my , how soon we forget.

With all due respect, I am somewhat surprised that you stated "best wrestler in history".

My my , how soon we forget.

denny and PR-Fan, it was in jest. I was trying to cram as much controversial stuff in as I could. I could have added more.

Amazing how the (relatively blowout) leader in the pound-for-pound rankings of the Takedown Wrestling Media Dual Impact Index has only one mention, in the first post of the thread...

If you are talking about Logan-he didnt wrestle enough to be considered.

Hodge winner ...Eric Larkin:

This might/could be used as a template of sorts. Eric had a mostly dominating season, had his share of sticks. He came in to the big tourney with a rather striking (?) history of 4-3-2.

At Kansas City (his sr season) he stuck his first 2 early. Then 15-7 in the quarters. His semi bout ended 5-3......Sanders I think. Larkin's finals bout pitted him against the returning champ in the weight class......Jared Lawrence of Minnesota. The final score of that bout (10-8) is waaay deceiving. Larkin actually dominated ......giving up a very late 'cut and TD' to Lawrence.

Johnny Thompson , a 2Xer won a title at that same tourney.

My intention here is to - perhaps - provide at least some insight as to how this Hodge thing can sometimes work.

Full knowing that we have our share of (you) experts out there ;)

Granted , this year we have a plethora of talented/truly successful/dominating guys, in several weight classes. So, it could be (at the very least) interesting to see how all of this plays out this month.

Agree ?