6 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

Cassar is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch at any weight. The way he explodes through on his shots is amazing to watch. 

Yeah, still think he can go all the way in March

5 hours ago, PSUMike said:

I might eat my words here but I think picking Parris over Cassar is pretty dumb. Mason has a ton of potenial but is still really, really raw. Cassar can match him physically but has much cleaner technical skill. I think a Cassar major happens before a Parris win. There are several matches that are coin-flip type matches tonight but I don't see that as one of them.

14 minutes ago, PSUMike said:

Called it.

I was going to congratulate you on this prediction, but you beat me to it.

1 hour ago, westfan said:

Did Hall even come close to taking a shot that match? That's why wrestling has a hard time breaking through as a spectator sport. One of our top wrestlers never does anything except wait for someone else to make a mistake.

He took one. 

56 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Not fair or really even accurate relative to the opponents. You are talking about 2 guys that may literally be the 2 best defensive wrestlers in all of DI. A high level of attacks on those two isn’t going to work out in the favor of ANYONE, especially when they both stay almost exclusively defensive the entire match. 

Odds are against either winning, but the reasoning missed by a ton....

Re-watch the matches and tell me how my reasoning was wrong. Also, I was exactly referring to Massa and Amine against Hall and Joseph. If I were extrapolating what they did in that match and using that as evidence to say they won't all-american this year, then it would be unfair. I was specifically referring to their abilities against Hall and Joseph. Tell me where I was wrong if my reasoning was wrong?

To explain my points:

Most of Massa's attacks were literally just shots from space...no set-ups. Which, as you stated, isn't going to work against an incredible defensive wrestler like Cenzo. If you watch Massa wrestle-that's kind of his style. Shoot from space in volume and wear his opponent out-that's not happening against Cenzo. He also seemed uncomfortable in the hand fight against Joseph. He wasn't close to a takedown and if he continues that style, I don't see him winning against Cenzo. Also, he got caught underneath way too much and I could see Massa getting taken down more than once if that scenario continues to play out. 

And Amine-I believe only took 3-4 shots the whole match. He got in on the first one and then wasn't really close to scoring the rest of the way. Ultimately, Amine's attack is how Hall scored with 30 seconds left. As the match went on it became more clear that Hall felt very "in control". 

So you tell me, how is that reasoning off?  It's not personal, as you seemed to have implied, but given the 7-8 matches we've seen, I just don't see Massa and Amine's offensive ability as being able to overpower Joseph and Hall. As a Michigan fan, I hope I'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, russelscout said:

He took one. 

You write that like if you say it enough times it might eventually come true, except it is not true. 

You can argue quality of shots, but you can't argue that Hall did not take 4 shots.

Period 1 - 1:14, period 2 0:24, period 3 1:06 and the one nice counter shot he converted at 0:30. This is in addition to multiple other non converted counter attempts.

Edited by TBar1977

1 minute ago, TBar1977 said:

You write that like if you say it enough times it might eventually come true, except it is not true. 

You can argue quality of shots, but you can't argue that Hall did not take 4 shots.

Period 1 - 1:14, period 2 0:24, period 3 1:06 and the one he converted at 0:30. This is in addition to multiple counter attempts.

I had just watched the match. Thats what I remembered. 

And is Berge injured or benched?  Verk has started the last 3 duals

It’s very odd. Berge is clearly the better option. Per Cael he’s healthy. Said it was the plan to wrestle Berge but something happened yesterday morning and he had to tell Verk he was going. Verk was heavier than normal since he wasn’t expecting to wrestle and had a hard cut that led to him gassing.

My opinion from trying to decipher Cael speak..something personal (family issue, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, MSU158 said:

A high level of attacks on those two isn’t going to work out in the favor of ANYONE, especially when they both stay almost exclusively defensive the entire match.

Worked for Zahid Valencia against Hall, multiple times.  In fact in his losses he took less shots, so an argument can me made for a high level of attacks against Hall if he wants to win.

A number of wrestlers seem to have taken the tact that slowing down the matches with Cenzo and Hall gives them their best chance to win. They don't really take any totally committed shots and just hope to make it a one TD match. They are succeeding at making the matches close, but Cenzo and Hall still come out on top of the one true position battle every time.

Definitely agree in regards to Cenzo but Hall is a different story.  Hall's been complicit in slowing down matches; the match against Joe Smith stands out.  Hall has demonstrated he can score when he needs to, I don't think the same can be said for the guys wrestling him. 

13 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

PSU now winner of 55 consecutive duals! 123-7-1 the past 8 years in duals!

Pretty amazing record.

At this point in his career, if he doubles his # of wins, maintains the winning % and continues his rate of AAs and NCs,, his record will be approximately equal to Gable's. I see that happening, and then some.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

Worked for Zahid Valencia against Hall, multiple times.  In fact in his losses he took less shots, so an argument can me made for a high level of attacks against Hall if he wants to win.

You only referenced a guy that has close to the best neutral offense in DI as evidenced by his results at last years WTT’s. Even then, he still got stuffed the last time they wrestled.

Volume is RARELY going to get it done against Hall. Quality setups and crisp finishes OR frustrate Hall Into making a very rare, over aggressive mistake.   That or push-pull as much as you can and hope you can get a ref that will call stalling on a defensive, counter wrestler. 

For anyone OTHER than Valencia, the latter is really the only reasonable option. 

PSU now winner of 55 consecutive duals! 123-7-1 the past 8 years in duals!

Wrestling a schedule much like Brandon HS during its steak.

TBar probably has not been a wrestling fan long enough to understand the analogy.

8 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Wrestling a schedule much like Brandon HS during its steak.

TBar probably has not been a wrestling fan long enough to understand the analogy.

Wrong on both counts, but keep trying if it suits you.

Halls style, albeit not as pleasing to the eye as Nolf and Nickal is why he is so successful internationally. He rarely if ever gets out of position, is a phenomenal scrambler, and he is patient. He is like a cat waiting to pounce on impatience on the part of higher end opponents.