Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Edinboro Open

Ohio State, Michigan and Minnesota sent some of their redshirts to this event. Ohio U., Cleve State, Pitt, WV, Indiana, Navy etc.  and several other teams have nice groups of wrestlers there. PSU has Michael Beard and Seth Nevills in their respective brackets. Just watched Sammy Sasso pinfall(tic) a Pitt wrestler. 

Edited by TBar1977

Beard looks like the 197 lbs version of Spencer Lee. Every match looks the same. Quick TD, a bunch of cross wrist tilts, first period TF.

He has tougher matches coming up, so the pattern should break but sheesh he is good at tilting guys.

Edited by TBar1977

Good day for the young Bucks.  Sasso wins a brawl with former EWL champ Evan Cheeks then decision fellow stud frosh Brayton Lee en route to the title.  Heinselman, Hoffman and Jaden Mattox all took titles as well.  Hoffman is wrestling well despite having to make a big cut.  He's the future at 197 for Bucks but has to wait for Kollin Moore to graduate.  Quinn Kinner takes 2nd losing in OT to Pitt's Matthews.  Jaden Mattox has apparently resurrected himself after some early issues and is now competing with distinction as a redshirt for the Bucks.  He gives them some interesting options for next season if Sasso can make 141.  

42 minutes ago, silvermedal said:

Good day for the young Bucks.  Sasso wins a brawl with former EWL champ Evan Cheeks then decision fellow stud frosh Brayton Lee en route to the title.  Heinselman, Hoffman and Jaden Mattox all took titles as well.  Hoffman is wrestling well despite having to make a big cut.  He's the future at 197 for Bucks but has to wait for Kollin Moore to graduate.  Quinn Kinner takes 2nd losing in OT to Pitt's Matthews.  Jaden Mattox has apparently resurrected himself after some early issues and is now competing with distinction as a redshirt for the Bucks.  He gives them some interesting options for next season if Sasso can make 141.  

141 Hayes 

149 Sasso

Speaking of Edinboro, they’ve really dropped off this year.

Looking at some results:

This year lost to George Mason 20-19 after beating them 41-0 last year.

This year lost to Bloomsburg 21-19 after beating them 35-3 last year.

This year lost to Lock Haven 30-10 after beating them 22-14 last year.

1 hour ago, OBXWrestler said:

141 Hayes 

149 Sasso

I think this is more likely or even Sasso moving up to 157 as he continues to mature.  Already owns wins of Pantaleo and David Carr.  Imagine next year with 149-Hayes, 157-Sasso, 165-Karchla.  Sasso and Karchla at 157/165 for the next 4 years works for me. 

33 minutes ago, balanceseeker said:

I think this is more likely or even Sasso moving up to 157 as he continues to mature.  Already owns wins of Pantaleo and David Carr.  Imagine next year with 149-Hayes, 157-Sasso, 165-Karchla.  Sasso and Karchla at 157/165 for the next 4 years works for me. 

Agree. Sasso's recent success at the Dave Schultz tourney shows he can handle 157 (beat Anthony Collica and David Carr at 70kg). Also, I'm not sure Hayes can get back down to 141 after a year at 157. I think next year could be...

141 Kinner

149 Hayes

157 Sasso

The wild card is Jaden Mattox who could force himself into the lineup with continued strong performances like today. He has already wrestled 165 this year and Mattox 165 and Kharchla 174 could eliminate a potentially weak weight for tOSU next year.

Edited by DocBZ

53 minutes ago, balanceseeker said:

141 kinner 149 sasso 157 mattox 165 kharchla could be a solid option too

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Speaking of Edinboro, they’ve really dropped off this year.

Looking at some results:

This year lost to George Mason 20-19 after beating them 41-0 last year.

This year lost to Bloomsburg 21-19 after beating them 35-3 last year.

This year lost to Lock Haven 30-10 after beating them 22-14 last year.

The loss of their coach was huge.  Everyone transferred(Geer, shomers, russell, hvywt, others?).  With all those kids in the lineup, they would be still tough.  Still wonder why Sanderson didn't look to pick up Russell for 125.

8 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Tom Ryan is not all in recruiting Braxton Amos and AJ Ferrari with the intention on Gavin Hoffman being the future at 197 once Moore graduates.

If he whiffs on both, then yes Hoffman will most likely bump back up and be the future 197 by default.

This would also be good news for Rocky Jordan, as 184 would then be his for the taking with Ethan Smith emerging this year as the future 174.

Make no mistake though... if Ryan lands Amos/Ferrari this recruiting cycle, Hoffman stays at 184 for the next several years and 174 will be between Jordan and Smith with Carson Karchla taking over 165.

Edited by Aviator12

Kaleb Romero not even a thought?  I wouldn’t undersell what improvements he may make in the offseason.  There is no better athlete at his weight.  I like guys who are excellent in more than one sport (all state quarterback in football) but he may be an example of someone who lack of specialization has set back.  He still has a lot to learn which means a lot of potential yet.

2 hours ago, Sstern said:

Kaleb Romero not even a thought?  I wouldn’t undersell what improvements he may make in the offseason.  There is no better athlete at his weight.  I like guys who are excellent in more than one sport (all state quarterback in football) but he may be an example of someone who lack of specialization has set back.  He still has a lot to learn which means a lot of potential yet.

Maybe give kharchla a red shirt and see how Romero does next year but I would have expected him to be better by now

I thought Sasso would bonus everyone yesterday and that did not happen. Two guys came close to beating him. Braxton Lee looked like the aggressor the whole match, constantly getting to legs. That being the case, finishing on Sasso seems really difficult. 

Edited by TBar1977

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

I thought Was so would bonus everyone yesterday and that did not happen. Two guys came close to beating him. Braxton Lee looked like the aggressor the whole match, constantly getting to legs. That being the case, finishing on Sasso seems really difficult. 

What was the score between Lee and Sasso?