Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Edinboro Open

I got to watch Sasso at Schultz.  I think Sasso is going to dictate whichever weight he wants.  The best lineup for the bucks is probably Kinner, Hayes, Sasso next year.  But... after witnessing what I witnessed first hand, oh golly.  Sasso is gonna be real good.  Sasso is AA-ready as we speak, and with his freestyle aspirations (a la Schultz), he could further improve rolling with Stieber and company.  

Heinselman needs to hit the weight room still.  He beat people he should.  His win vs. Mckee was more impressive than anything. 

I saw Hoffman at Schultz.  Although a prized recruit, he didn't give that "wow factor" that Sasso did and does.  In person, he didn't really seem "that big" at 86kg, so assuming that 197 may be his better/future weight is probably contingent on his nutrition and lifting plan.  

Mattox... in high school he was always "right there" with Carr in Ohio.  I could see a situation where Kharchla redshirts next year, for the good of "everyone", including himself, and Mattox goes 165, making it Kinner, Sasso, Hayes, then Mattox.  That's not a bad lineup. 

Ethan Smith is looking better and better every week.  At NCAA's this year... watch out.  He could be this year's "giant killer".  I'm very excited about his prospects.

3 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I thought Sasso would bonus everyone yesterday and that did not happen. Two guys came close to beating him. Braxton Lee looked like the aggressor the whole match, constantly getting to legs. That being the case, finishing on Sasso seems really difficult. 

He bonuses 5 of the 6, 3 pins 2 techs and a major along with a decision if I’m not correct.

TBar I think Hoffman’s best weight very well may be 197, but I’m not entirely sure how much the cut to 184 is effecting him. He’s not quite as dominant as I expected in his redshirt freshman season, but just about anyone would take the season he’s having so take that with a grain of salt. I think without question the best OHIO STATE lineup moving forward has Hoffman at 184 and either Amos/Ferrari at 197... but are you asking me is that’s what best for Hoffman? I can’t say yes if I’m being honest but I don’t know that for a fact:

Just now, Aviator12 said:

TBar I think Hoffman’s best weight very well may be 197, but I’m not entirely sure how much the cut to 184 is effecting him. He’s not quite as dominant as I expected in his redshirt freshman season, but just about anyone would take the season he’s having so take that with a grain of salt. I think without question the best OHIO STATE lineup moving forward has Hoffman at 184 and either Amos/Ferrari at 197... but are you asking me is that’s what best for Hoffman? I can’t say yes if I’m being honest but I don’t know that for a fact:

Aviator, I agree with this answer 100 percent. Think Hoffman is slightly better at 197, but Ohio State would be slightly better if he stayed 184 AND, of course, this being predicated on you landing either Amos or Ferrari. 

I think it's very possible that Hoffman heads up to 197 after Moore graduates and 174/184 are manned by some combination of Romero, Smith and Rocky Jordan.  Romero went 170 as a high school senior and 174 as a redshirt.  Maybe the cut is effecting him.  Smith was 184 as a redshirt and most people in the know seem to think Rocky will be the biggest of the brothers.  Hayes is a much more proven commodity than Kinner or Mattox and I think at 141 or 149 (if Sasso at 157) he is a contender.

6 hours ago, Aviator12 said:

Yeah it’s a moot point if Ryan whiffs on those two... Hoffman is the 197 if that happens period. I think Amos ends up at tOSU and I think Ferrari ends up at Penn State.

Ferrari goes to PSU, but pulls a Suriano and scoots to Rutgers after a year or two. 

20 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I thought Sasso would bonus everyone yesterday and that did not happen. Two guys came close to beating him. Braxton Lee looked like the aggressor the whole match, constantly getting to legs. That being the case, finishing on Sasso seems really difficult. 

Evan Cheeks is a former EWL champ in redshirt who has been coached up a lot by Josh Moore.  He is a dangerous wrestler and Sasso did an excellent job of coming back to stick him.  Sasso looked tired vs Lee but still did what was necessary to beat him.  Both are true frosh stud recruits.  Sasso has wins this year over Lugo, Carr (freestyle), Collica (freestyle) and Cheeks among others.  He's doing fine.  

22 hours ago, Sstern said:

Kaleb Romero not even a thought?  I wouldn’t undersell what improvements he may make in the offseason.  There is no better athlete at his weight.  I like guys who are excellent in more than one sport (all state quarterback in football) but he may be an example of someone who lack of specialization has set back.  He still has a lot to learn which means a lot of potential yet.

Sstern:  If the objective of a D1 wrestler was to pass and score touchdowns, Romero might be ranked #1. 

Hoffman looks too light at 184.  He's an excellent wrestler who is sacrificing strength by wrestling at this weight.  Bucks need to decide how he fits and what to do.  Personally, I'd like to see him as the next 197.  Bucks have too many big men already.  Let's stock up on stud middle weights.  

On 2/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, 1032004 said:

Speaking of Edinboro, they’ve really dropped off this year.

Looking at some results:

This year lost to George Mason 20-19 after beating them 41-0 last year.

This year lost to Bloomsburg 21-19 after beating them 35-3 last year.

This year lost to Lock Haven 30-10 after beating them 22-14 last year.

There are not to many teams that would not look really weak after their 5 best returning/projected starters all jump ship.  Miller and Myers are at VaTech, Geer & Shomers are at OSU and Russel is at Mn and they are all starting and doing pretty well. I believe they lost other wrestlers and recruits that are not as well known too once Flynn went to WVU.  I just hope they can recover and get back to being a competitive team.

41 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Moore will be the 197 favorite, so don't see that happening at all.  

Has trouble making weight and Singletary has no spot two years from now and is a small HWT.  Could very well happen two years from now but I fee like Moore is going to hit up Red Lobster in the summer and come in next season about 235. 

And also, hot takes normally aren't based on logic.  That's what makes them hot!

Edited by Gantry

The more I think about it though.... where does Ferrari fit at Penn State? The future lineups are set 184-HWY for the foreseeable future, right?

184 Brooks

197 Beard

HWY Cassar (possible 2 more years 1 for sure) and Younger Nevills.

Where would he fit? 

7 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

The more I think about it though.... where does Ferrari fit at Penn State? The future lineups are set 184-HWY for the foreseeable future, right?

184 Brooks

197 Beard

HWY Cassar (possible 2 more years 1 for sure) and Younger Nevills.

Where would he fit? 

And all three of those guys are studs, including Seth Nevills. Beard has figured out neutral and top pretty good already. He is going to be a hammer. Aaron Brooks has maybe the best pure athleticism of anyone coming into college from 165 on up. Buckeye fans correctly note Sasso getting 4th at Schultz as a big accomplishment. Brooks won Schultz. That's pretty good. 

50 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Hot, uninformed take - Singletary and Moore swap weights next year. 

I too have wondered if the Bergman/Morrison/Capone/Snyder route may be something to be considered for Moore. It's not like it hasn't happened under Ryan at Ohio State and I would assume it has been discussed even if it doesn't happen. If Singletary drops he and Hoffman figure out 197, if he loses he is on the bench and if he wins Hoffman drops down and is in a dogfight with Smith and Jordan to figure it out at 174/184. With that said I think where Moore and Hayes go impacts every spot in the Buckeyes' lineup except 125 and 133. Considerring Decatur or DeEmilio could beat out Malik or Pletcher could redshirt all ten weights are open in those regards with at least eight returning lettermen returning.

35 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

And all three of those guys are studs, including Seth Nevills. Beard has figured out neutral and top pretty good already. He is going to be a hammer. Aaron Brooks has maybe the best pure athleticism of anyone coming into college from 165 on up. Buckeye fans correctly note Sasso getting 4th at Schultz as a big accomplishment. Brooks won Schultz. That's pretty good. 

Beard’s tilt game seems to be pretty advanced for a 197...

1 minute ago, Aviator12 said:

Beard’s tilt game seems to be pretty advanced for a 197...

Yeah, you don't see that often in 197. His riding game is good enough, but if he can also tilt guys he is going to be really good. Now I just want to see him get out from bottom against someone good. 

23 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

I thought Sasso looked a little sloppy/disinterested.  He did enough to still come away with the win, but he was content all weekend to let guys get to his leg and look to score from there.  A little lazy on his part vs. his performance at the Schultz where he was, for the most part, very active and scoring with a number of attacks, in addition to being stingy defensively.  

4 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Evan Cheeks is a former EWL champ in redshirt who has been coached up a lot by Josh Moore.  He is a dangerous wrestler and Sasso did an excellent job of coming back to stick him.  Sasso looked tired vs Lee but still did what was necessary to beat him.  Both are true frosh stud recruits.  Sasso has wins this year over Lugo, Carr (freestyle), Collica (freestyle) and Cheeks among others.  He's doing fine.  

Sstern:  If the objective of a D1 wrestler was to pass and score touchdowns, Romero might be ranked #1. 

That’s a cute comment but the lack of consideration of him for one of those spots is a glaring omission at this point, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

Beard's tilts are great, but from what I've seen he uses the same tilt every single time.  That will get scouted when he gets in the lineup, so he has to keep evolving with his top game. 

Yeah, kind of like how everyone is able to avoid Spencer Lee's tilt.

So now everyone with a good top move is Spencer Lee?  There are lots of examples of freshman who have a great top move early on and by the end of their career aren't nearly the rider because it is taken away.  Dustin Schlatter was absolutely unstoppable with his rebar tilt (spelling) his freshman year, ditto with BoJo's top prowess.  By the time they were seniors, they were pretty much only winning matches on their feet and didn't ride any top10 guys.

Freshman coming out like a ball of fire with a great top (or neutral) move and getting scouted is very very common in D1 wrestling.  Spencer is Spencer... 

I'm not saying Beard isn't going to be a total stud on top and maybe I haven't seen enough of his matches, but  freshman with a single great top move more often than not get scouted and have it taken away against the top guys.

Edited by Gantry