Sign in to follow this  
Marcus Cisero

Why didn’t #2 Joey McKenna OH wrestle #4 Michael Carr ILL last night– Was this another case of Ducking?

13 minutes ago, Katie said:

There's a lot wrong with NCAA wrestling. Almost like it's trying to make itself extinct.

Meaningless regular seasons is one of the big problems.

Are you claiming McKenna ducked? Why such a negative post here, Katie? 

Ryan tweeted that docs wouldn't clear him, so I'm not calling that a duck if true.  He also beat him 13-0 last year, so I don't think fear of taking a loss. 

Not shockingly given TheMat forums, we've come full circle on the ducking discussion - where nobody can miss a match for any reason now without it being a duck. 

Ohio State won the dual rather easily, so I don't see why anyone would complain about a coach sitting out a starter.  Better to sit one out during the pre-season and be healthy for the real season, IMO.

3 hours ago, Gantry said:

Ryan tweeted that docs wouldn't clear him, so I'm not calling that a duck if true.  He also beat him 13-0 last year, so I don't think fear of taking a loss. 

Not shockingly given TheMat forums, we've come full circle on the ducking discussion - where nobody can miss a match for any reason now without it being a duck. 

Not any match.  Just those against highly ranked guys

8 hours ago, Katie said:

There's a lot wrong with NCAA wrestling. Almost like it's trying to make itself extinct.

Meaningless regular seasons is one of the big problems.

And in NCAA football you have tutors taking tests for kids. It’s not just wrestling. 

I think the reason it comes across as meaningless is because the last tourney is individual with a team winning. It stands out more than in other sports. For example, the MN Vikings hardly ever had all of their defensive starters this year, it happens. The regular season for wrestling isn’t meaningless when you have to do well to get to the NCAA tourney and it impacts your seed. In the NFL you can go 9–7 and win the whole thing. Does that still make it a meaningless season?

2 minutes ago, cornercoach said:

.........there are several websites dedicated to "Duck Hunting".  how about any future "ducking" references get discussed on those sites........this shi*'s gett'in old......

I say we keep discussing and if you don’t want to read about it then you don’t have to view that thread.

It's only a duck if there's a "significant" chance of losing, and there are "mysteries" around why.  In this case, McKenna is wrestling on a different level than anyone at 141 right now, beat him soundly last year, and is destroying everyone in his path.  Not a duck...

Caveat:  It may be a duck if it floats in water, or weighs as much as a.) tiny pebbles, b.) small churches, or c.) a witch.  

Aside from that, Tbar's response to the earlier post was excellent, and I commend you sir.  

This is a wrestling forum... all other commentary should be relegated to the "Book of Faces", Tweeter, or the "Gram of Instants". 

I noticed the 141 Pounder from NorthWestern also has the last name McKenna, I would not consider it ducking if they are related brothers or cousins as many in combat sports wont go against family in competition in Boxing The Klitchko brothers were considered the 2 best Heavyweights for years, but they said many times they would not fight each other, same with the Charlo Brothers.

Also for it to be ducking,  The person not competing would have to have some/reasonable chance to lose.