Jump to content
TBar1977

Penn State @ Ohio State

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, Aviator12 said:

So your the guy...?

Just like with most major upsets...Moore will need to stick Nickal or catch him in like a 6 point move to beat him.

Can it happen? Sure. Will it? No.

Moore can’t beat Nickal by outwrestling him. And that’s nothing to be ashamed of... Nickal is historically great.

Nope - I see a low-scoring match with Moore just overpowering him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Apparently I'm the only one in the country that sees a Moore upset.

I can see Moore keeping it close with holding good position and not taking risks. It's possible under that scenario he ekes out a win but I doubt it. I don't think I've seen Bo overpowered, guys that beat him are ones that can scramble and match him athletically. Not sure Moore is that guy.

I will say this about Moore. I think he was unfairly 'over rated' after his close loss to Cox early in his career. I now think he's unfairly 'under rated' given the two losses to Conel at NCAAs last year.  If he had won NCAA last year as expected, folks might be looking at this match through a slightly different lens.

but I still think it's a bad match-up for him.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s hard to imagine even one upset in this match assuming no RBY

would either guy winning at 125 even be considered an upset? If not, what is the next possible upset? 

I have 

1. McKenna 

2. Bo 

its going to be pretty weird having the dual of the year go all chalk and PSU win by getting more bonus points. Would love to see the match swing one way or another by an upset but I can’t see any happening except maybe Lee over McKenna. He gave him all he wanted in last last years dual but McKenna right now looks so much better than he did at this point last year. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

its going to be pretty weird having the dual of the year go all chalk and PSU win by getting more bonus points. Would love to see the match swing one way or another by an upset but I can’t see any happening except maybe Lee over McKenna. He gave him all he wanted in last last years dual but McKenna right now looks so much better than he did at this point last year. 

 

If PSU sends out Stossel at 133 and Bisono at 184 then all bets are off. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I seriously doubt we’ll see Rasheed. 

If Cael has proven anything, it's that he plays the long game.  While he wants to win the duals, it's all about the NCAA tournament.  If sitting RBY and Rasheed makes sense, he'll do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ThorsteinV said:

I seriously doubt we’ll see Rasheed. 

Why?  Just curious if this is an educated guess or made with some actual knowledge.  I don’t see why he wouldn’t go unless hurt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sstern said:

Why?  Just curious if this is an educated guess or made with some actual knowledge.  I don’t see why he wouldn’t go unless hurt.

It looked to me like he tweaked his knee (with the big brace) in the second period against Embree.  After re-watching it doesn't appear as obvious but he does make a few awkward movements after the exchange.  I assume it's more of a guess but my immediate thought was that we wouldn't see him again until Big Tens.  

Edited by ThorsteinV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure Rasheed would make anything more than a 1 point difference. He does not look like he did last year that’s for sure. Maybe in March he will look like he did last year, who knows. Myles should dominate this years version.

RBY? Yea that makes a huge difference. I think he could get the win actually. 

I have a feeling it’s going to be the Nick Lee dual and it’s due time for him to step up and take some pressure off the hammers after him in the lineup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

I am not sure Rasheed would make anything more than a 1 point difference. He does not look like he did last year that’s for sure. Maybe in March he will look like he did last year, who knows. Myles should dominate this years version.

RBY? Yea that makes a huge difference. I think he could get the win actually. 

I have a feeling it’s going to be the Nick Lee dual and it’s due time for him to step up and take some pressure off the hammers after him in the lineup. 

Rasheed is undefeated with over 80% bonus. Maybe the problem is a recent injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My formal prediction and small commentary:

125:  Malik dec. Schnupp:  3-0 tOSU

133:  Pletcher MDec. Stossel:  7-0 tOSU

141:  McKenna dec. Lee:  10-0 tOSU

149:  Jordan dec. Berge:  13-0 tOSU

157:  Nolf TF Hayes:  13-5 tOSU

165:  Joseph MDec. Campbell:  13-9 tOSU

174:  Hall dec. Smith:  13-12 tOSU

184:  MyMar dec. Rasheed:  16-12 tOSU

197:  MATCH OF THE NIGHT:  Nickal dec. Moore:  16-15 tOSU

Commentary:  Those thinking that Nickal is an "automatic" against Moore are severely mistaken.  Will Nickal win?  Most likely.  Could Nickal pin Moore?  Absolutely.  But... Moore could do the same to Nickal, and it has shown through both his Folkstyle and Freestyle accomplishments.  Moore is very very good as well, and it automatically assume that Nickal wipes the floor with Moore is pure conjecture.  Now... if it happens, I will not be surprised at all, just like I won't be surprised if Moore beats Nickal.  This is closer to a toss-up than anything (at this point).  Now... to be proven wrong!

HWT:  Cassar Mdec. Singletary:  19-16 PSU

The Buckeyes lose their 2nd dual of the year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whippetgrappler said:

That is what everyone was saying about Kyle Snyder against Adam Coon. But it happened.  It is a possibility.  Nickal is  not unbeatable.

Moore could not beat the back up Penn State 197 last year, and he's going to just overpower Bo Nickal now? True, no one is unbeatable, and that back up 197 is a very good wrestler in his own right, but this one seems far fetched. 

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Ohio State wins the match because of Moore squeaking past Nickal and Ethan Smith keeping it to just a decision against Hall.

125:  Malik dec. Schnupp:  3-0 tOSU

133:  Pletcher Mdec. Stossel:  7-0 tOSU

141:  McKenna Mdec. Lee:  11-0 tOSU

149:  Jordan Mdec. Berge:  15-0 tOSU

157:  Nolf TF Hayes:  15-5 tOSU

165:  Joseph MDec. Campbell:  15-9 tOSU

174:  Hall dec. Smith:  15-12 tOSU

184:  Martin Mdec. Rasheed:  20-12 tOSU

197:  Moore dec. Nickal:  23-12 tOSU

HWT:  Cassar Mdec. Singletary:  23-16 PSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a little surprised to see so many predictions of Jordan only winning by decision at 149. If PSU sends out Berge (who’s a pretty good defensive wrestler) he’s going to deal with attack after attack from Micah. But I think at this point in their respective careers Micah is better on offense than Berge is on defense. Depending on how the ref calls the match, Berge could catch multiple stall calls. I’m predicting Micah wins by major and  I’ll go out on a limb and say he could potentially push for a tech fall. 

 

Obviously if PSU sends out Verkleeran it will be a completely different style of match. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Moore could not beat the back up Penn State 197 last year, and he's going to just overpower Bo Nickal now? True, no one is unbeatable, and that back up 197 is a very good wrestler in his own right, but this one seems far fetched. 

Tbar… you're a reasonable person... everyone "knows" that last year's version of Moore had a case of HEW mixed with "I cut weight the wrong way".  Plus... Cassar is proving, as we all thought, to be an absolute BEAST.  Now... do I think Moore can or will overpower Nickal.  No... no I do not.  But... do I think that the chance of Moore winning this match is greater than, say, 25%?  Yes... yes I do.  There are many scenarios that could lead one to believe that this could happen.  If Moore can get to his offense, I.e. the same offense that took down Cox his freshman year, multiple times, or the offense we see in darn near most of his Freestyle matches, this could be epic... 

Or... Bo just mixes him and it's over like Sadulaev/Snyder.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Tbar… you're a reasonable person... everyone "knows" that last year's version of Moore had a case of HEW mixed with "I cut weight the wrong way".  Plus... Cassar is proving, as we all thought, to be an absolute BEAST.  Now... do I think Moore can or will overpower Nickal.  No... no I do not.  But... do I think that the chance of Moore winning this match is greater than, say, 25%?  Yes... yes I do.  There are many scenarios that could lead one to believe that this could happen.  If Moore can get to his offense, I.e. the same offense that took down Cox his freshman year, multiple times, or the offense we see in darn near most of his Freestyle matches, this could be epic... 

Or... Bo just mixes him and it's over like Sadulaev/Snyder.  

Ok. You are very reasonable too, treep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Katie said:

Rasheed is undefeated with over 80% bonus. Maybe the problem is a recent injury. 

I hope you are right. Going into the season I had him as a finalist and PSU breaking the all time scoring record in March. I just don’t see that now and I am getting nervous about my prediction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a great dual to watch to be honest.

25- Not a lot to see here sou 3-0

33- Pletcher should control an easy major 7-0, he beats rby as well

41-Mckenna has been as impressive as anybody I've watched this year, Lee is very good with a great pace, but I think McKenna puts it on him 10-2, squeezes out the major 11-0

49-Jordan needs a major and should get it 15-0

57-Nolf by fall, though I wouldn't be surprised if Hayes gets stalled out.   15-6

65-Cenzo major 15-10 OSU

74-Hall by dec 15-13

84-Martin major, I don't care who they send out, this could be worse as well 19-13

97-Nickal dec, Really the only competitive match in this dual, and who knows with Nickal he could end it in 30 seconds.  I think this will be tough though and he'll have to grind one out against a very good Moore. 19-16

HWT- Cassar major-kid is really good, this could be worse as well 20-19 PSU.

Dual will be completely decided by bonus points, which won't be great to watch.  Everyone that is overmatched will be backing up, stalling, blocking, mind you doing what he needs to do for his team to win, but not exciting wrestling.   It's much more fun when we don't know the outcome of almost every match.  25 and 97 really the only toss ups I guess, and I don't think Nickal is a toss up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×