gowrestle

Headgear 2019-20

This has always been so weird to me why do you care as a non athlete spectator care wether they wear headgear or not, for a lot of the wrestlers the only time they wear it is during matches anyways.

1 hour ago, throwbuy said:

This has always been so weird to me why do you care as a non athlete spectator care wether they wear headgear or not, for a lot of the wrestlers the only time they wear it is during matches anyways.

It is an ncaa rule that they must wear it in practice. At least that was the rule when I was in college. And it absolutely should be  required-athlete safety should be a priority. Deformed ears are nothing to be proud of. 

Caesar against Paris? Not in either the Iliad or the Odyssey.  Must have been in the Aeneid, :-)

I think it possible head gear could be integrated with some type of concussion protection. Something similar to an old style bicycle helmet, a hair net.

I believe this is the 50th year of mandatory head gear, 1969-70 first year? 

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It is an ncaa rule that they must wear it in practice. At least that was the rule when I was in college. And it absolutely should be  required-athlete safety should be a priority. Deformed ears are nothing to be proud of. 

LOL Says you!!

Here is my take on headgear......it is the only form of protection required by rule.  And it's for your ears?  That's dumb.  Look I've wrestled OR coached for 38  of my 42 years and when I get up in the morning believe me I don't think oh my ears!  Yes my knee, my neck, my back, my shoulder and on and on.  Headgear as a rule is ridiculous.  There is no data that says it helps in concussion prevention.  Back of the head, temple area, and chin.  None of those three areas are protected by a headgear.  If you want to say let's wear head protection to reduce concussions then I'm fine with that but let's get something that actually protects the head not the ears.  I don't see more concussions when I spend a week in Fargo when wrestlers do not have to wear a headgear.  NCAA and high school stop funding headgear manufacturers and let's make it optional.  BTW my banged up ear was caused by my headgear not prevented by it.

This is an old style Bicycle Hairnet Helmet. I think it could be revised for wrestling, either integrated with ear protection or not. My wrestling career ended before the era of mandatory head gear, so I will let others make that decision. But Concussions, there is a heck of a problem. (I would like 6-7 feet of mat safety apron to mitigate head and other injuries. When I was in HS, we often practiced on 2 of 3 mat pieces, wither in the lobby, right against the walls and trophy cases or on the stage with bricks on one side and a 4 foot drop-off on the other.Image result for bicycle hairnet helmet

Edited by RichB

The wrestling rulebook is updated every other year. Prior to the 2017-18 season, the wrestling rules committee proposed eliminating the headgear requirement along with several other rules. See original release here. The Playing Rules Oversight Panel implemented all proposals (neutral danger, facial hair, etc.) except for the headgear elimination. Since this coming year is a year when the rulebook can be updated, it's possible this proposal will make another appearance and could go into effect for 2019-20 if the rules committee has come up with a better justification than the one rejected by the oversight panel.

17 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The wrestling rulebook is updated every other year. Prior to the 2017-18 season, the wrestling rules committee proposed eliminating the headgear requirement along with several other rules. See original release here. The Playing Rules Oversight Panel implemented all proposals (neutral danger, facial hair, etc.) except for the headgear elimination. Since this coming year is a year when the rulebook can be updated, it's possible this proposal will make another appearance and could go into effect for 2019-20 if the rules committee has come up with a better justification (in order to overcome the influence of the wrestling equipment lobby) than the one rejected by the oversight panel.

FIFY

8 hours ago, UTAZWrestler said:

Here is my take on headgear......it is the only form of protection required by rule.  And it's for your ears?  That's dumb.  Look I've wrestled OR coached for 38  of my 42 years and when I get up in the morning believe me I don't think oh my ears!  Yes my knee, my neck, my back, my shoulder and on and on.  Headgear as a rule is ridiculous.  There is no data that says it helps in concussion prevention.  Back of the head, temple area, and chin.  None of those three areas are protected by a headgear.  If you want to say let's wear head protection to reduce concussions then I'm fine with that but let's get something that actually protects the head not the ears.  I don't see more concussions when I spend a week in Fargo when wrestlers do not have to wear a headgear.  NCAA and high school stop funding headgear manufacturers and let's make it optional.  BTW my banged up ear was caused by my headgear not prevented by it.

It's great to hear that issues with your ears haven't impacted you.  However, most people would not want their kids competing in wrestling if the result is deformed ears.  Along with being a deformity, it can impact hearing.  If you think concussions are more of an issue, I don't disagree-but the solution is to design a headgear that prevents concussions, not remove headgear entirely.  

You act like there is some huge headgear lobby in Washington keeping a useless rule in place.  That is definitely not the case.  Headgear works-everyone I know who wrestled and wore headgear has no cauliflower ear (including me after 10 years of competition).  If you think headgear caused your ear problem, then it was because you used them incorrectly.  

BTW-the best headgear in my experience is the cliff keen signature.  You just need to fit the straps correctly so it does not move on your head, and you will have no ear issues.  I wore the Tornados at times in HS, but the cups on those can collapse and cause problems.  The signature has no issues, which is why most teams use it.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

It's great to hear that issues with your ears haven't impacted you.  However, most people would not want their kids competing in wrestling if the result is deformed ears.  Along with being a deformity, it can impact hearing.  If you think concussions are more of an issue, I don't disagree-but the solution is to design a headgear that prevents concussions, not remove headgear entirely.  

You act like there is some huge headgear lobby in Washington keeping a useless rule in place.  That is definitely not the case.  Headgear works-everyone I know who wrestled and wore headgear has no cauliflower ear (including me after 10 years of competition).  If you think headgear caused your ear problem, then it was because you used them incorrectly.  

BTW-the best headgear in my experience is the cliff keen signature.  You just need to fit the straps correctly so it does not move on your head, and you will have no ear issues.  I wore the Tornados at times in HS, but the cups on those can collapse and cause problems.  The signature has no issues, which is why most teams use it.  

Hey Billy I didn't say out law it. Make it optional.  I'm glad you figured out how to properly wear your headgear, congrats.  Also I'm pretty sure after a decent college career (seeded at the D1 tournament), and coaching college for the past 19 years I think I know how to and did know how to put a head gear on properly.  So that wasn't the issue.  Make it optional!  (not bragging believe me just making a point)

20 minutes ago, UTAZWrestler said:

Hey Billy I didn't say out law it. Make it optional.  I'm glad you figured out how to properly wear your headgear, congrats.  Also I'm pretty sure after a decent college career (seeded at the D1 tournament), and coaching college for the past 19 years I think I know how to and did know how to put a head gear on properly.  So that wasn't the issue.  Make it optional!  (not bragging believe me just making a point)

If wearing headgear is the reason you hurt year ears, then you did not put them on properly or you bought a defective pair. Headgear should not be optional.  If it were optional, there will be pressure on people not to wear it.  You don't make safety equipment optional in high school/college sports.  

13 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

If wearing headgear is the reason you hurt year ears, then you did not put them on properly or you bought a defective pair. Headgear should not be optional.  If it were optional, there will be pressure on people not to wear it.  You don't make safety equipment optional in high school/college sports.  

Again I had them on correctly, they weren't  deffective, and I'm not the only person this has happened to either.  Your argument on properly wearing them is not rational, that would be saying everytime a headgear comes off, gets twisted, or moves around it must have been put on wrong or its deffective?  Also I didn't say they didn't work.  What I'm saying is it is dumb that that is the ONLY piece of protective equipment required by rule.  If we are so worried about safety there are numerous pieces of equipment that could be worn.  Let's start with a mouth piece.  Why would there be pressure to not wear one?  I see lots of kids wear one in Fargo.  I don't think there is pressure either way.  

Edited by UTAZWrestler

50 minutes ago, UTAZWrestler said:

Again I had them on correctly, they weren't  deffective, and I'm not the only person this has happened to either.  Your argument on properly wearing them is not rational, that would be saying everytime a headgear comes off, gets twisted, or moves around it must have been put on wrong or its deffective?  Also I didn't say they didn't work.  What I'm saying is it is dumb that that is the ONLY piece of protective equipment required by rule.  If we are so worried about safety there are numerous pieces of equipment that could be worn.  Let's start with a mouth piece.  Why would there be pressure to not wear one?  I see lots of kids wear one in Fargo.  I don't think there is pressure either way.  

I see very few wrestlers with broken teeth from wrestling, but many with messed up ears.  You claiming that there should be more protective equipment is not an argument to remove ear protection. 

proper mouthpieces have been proven to be much more effective than any headgear at preventing concussions...

no head gear in the world will prevent concussions... 

i have heard quite a few people claim to have gotten the ugly ear while wearing head gear... it is not at all an end all be all...

i have also heard compelling arguments about head gear getting caught in the mat and causing neck injuries from the twisting...

have seen headgear used to grab a hold of and torque wrestlers many times...

optional is fine, but, if given the choice most would not wear it... there is a reason

Have to say that the Halo headgear was far superior to the Cliff-Keen traditional headgear, but of course, the CK headgear are much cooler. The Halo gear looked like crap but worked much better. And I never wore a chin guard, just the strap under the chin. Seems like the chin cup also causes problems.

Most wrestlers avoid wearing their headgear in practice, where most of the cauliflower ear comes from. So mandating it in competition is likely doing very little to actually prevent “deformed ears”. Most wrestlers at the college level that I’ve met are proud of their cauliflower ears, and I’m proud of mine. They’re symbolic of the hours of hard work on the mat. I don’t think this culture among wrestlers will ever change. The United States seems to be the only country that requires its high level wrestlers wear headgear, why not get with the times? Leave the option for those who want to wear it and give guys a choice about their ears. It would certainly cut back on the occasional big match that’s marred by equipment failures, without really affecting if guys get cauliflower ear or not. I always say head gear wasn’t developed for wrestlers, it was developed for their mothers 

44 minutes ago, Underhook said:

Most wrestlers avoid wearing their headgear in practice, where most of the cauliflower ear comes from. So mandating it in competition is likely doing very little to actually prevent “deformed ears”. Most wrestlers at the college level that I’ve met are proud of their cauliflower ears, and I’m proud of mine. They’re symbolic of the hours of hard work on the mat. I don’t think this culture among wrestlers will ever change. The United States seems to be the only country that requires its high level wrestlers wear headgear, why not get with the times? Leave the option for those who want to wear it and give guys a choice about their ears. It would certainly cut back on the occasional big match that’s marred by equipment failures, without really affecting if guys get cauliflower ear or not. I always say head gear wasn’t developed for wrestlers, it was developed for their mothers 

I have been around wrestling for over 50 years. Most ex wrestlers that I have spoken to with cauliflower ears are not proud of them. You are right that some think it is a sign of toughness. The toughest guys I know never needed to show their toughness. 

2 hours ago, Underhook said:

Headgear is mandatory in practice in the NCAA. It should be in HS as well. 

1 hour ago, Swayz said:

….anybody else think it might be the folks making the headgear preventing the rule of headgear being optional? 

Do you also think that the earth is flat and "Big NASA" perpetuates the lie about us landing on the moon to keep their budget fat? Headgear is mandatory because it prevents cauliflower ear.