Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

What are your best Iowa taunting memories?

I agree with a post from another thread that it is becoming cliche, but it got me feeling nostalgic.  Iowa fans feel free to jump in.

3. Palacio shush/gang sign

2. Waters flappy bird

1. Gelogaev going straight up middle finger

Edited by madcat11

Lewboo posted a story a long time back, think it went like this. Trizzino was wrestling against Gene Mills and got the 1st takedown to go up 2-0 on Mean Gene. They went out of bounds and Trizzino looked at the Iowa bench and gave the thumbs up sign. Mills quickly turned the tables and either pinned him or beat him badly on points.

Randy Lewis was the next Hawkeye to wrestle in the dual. As Trizzino walked off the mat Randy gave him a thumbs up.

does that count?  

17 hours ago, russelscout said:

Oh, how could I forget? Varner doing the break sign to Brands as his team was about to lose the dual. That one really sticks out to me.

Yes, forgot this one.  The slow motion break sign.  I believe Terry did it during Metcalfs match earlier in the same dual and Varner was giving it back.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, russelscout said:

Oh, how could I forget? Varner doing the break sign to Brands as his team was about to lose the dual. That one really sticks out to me.

Varner was an asshat. I still remember him whining at NCAAs that "guys are trying to avoid the pin" when he was merely beating guys and not pinning them.

I once saw Gable toss a plastic chair in Gallagher Hall when I was a teenager (at an OSU/Iowa dual), Bobby Knight style. He didn't throw it towards the mat, though :D

The thing that bugs me since then is this: did I actually see him TOSS a chair, or did he just stand up suddenly and violently and the chair went sailing backwards? The story has more verve if you say he tossed the chair :D

Edited by TobusRex

On 2/4/2019 at 8:35 AM, madcat11 said:

I agree with a post from another thread that it is becoming cliche, but it got me feeling nostalgic.  Iowa fans feel free to jump in.

3. Palacio shush/gang sign

2. Waters flappy bird

1. Gelogaev going straight up middle finger

I don't remember Gelogaev flipping anybody off, but I'll take you at your word.

For the record holding up the middle finger in Russia means "You are NUMBER ONE!!!", so Gelogaev was COMPLIMENTING his opponents.

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

For the record holding up the middle finger in Russia means "You are NUMBER ONE!!!", so Gelogaev was COMPLIMENTING his opponents.

It was when he was 184, and it was a the dual.  Someone posted a picture of it long ago.

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Isn't it also known as "the California wave" per Jed Clampet

48 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Askren walking right by Brands in the corner and hitting Brands with a stall call, after chasing the hawkeye wrestler around the mat for 7 min.

This and the post match interview referenced earlier by Rocep was great.