Plasmodium

Desanto's In-Match Antics

15 hours ago, TobusRex said:

How many of those titles were due to Brand's leadership? How many were due to the double class/Metcalf? I submit, in light of the last 8 years of evidence, that those 3 titles were due to Metcalf/the double class more than Brand's coaching ability. 

@qc8223

Finishing top5....whoop ti do. Finishing 5th is like kissing your grandmother on the lips and getting tongue. I remember Zalesky getting fired for finishing in the top 5 too many times.  It kinda hurts (as an Okie fan) to say this, but Hawkeye wrestling is about WINNING TITLES, not getting participation trophies.

As I've pointed out previously, the "double class" is mostly a myth.  The only significant point contributions from that class are Brent Metcalf, who was going wherever Brands was, and Jay Borschel, who same.  Joey Slaton was one year.  Essentially, it was two guys.  Not to mention, all of them are at Iowa the whole time if Brands was just HC the whole time.  I think it shows pretty great leadership, regardless, be cause all of those kids followed Brands even though they knew they would likely be losing a year.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:28 AM, VakAttack said:

You can try to dress up Ashnault's stuff all you want, he's doing the same kind of stuff you're getting mad at Berger and Desanto over.  Taunting the crowd, coaches, and throwing in unnecessary shoves.  Personally, I love it, but to try to paint him as some angel is...disingenuous at best.

Not really - there's a difference in mean-spirited taunting and good-natured ribbing.  To use an extreme example, was the little kid pictured above taunting Coach Ayres?  Obviously not, nor did Ayres take it that way - he thought it was funny.  But the kid was doing the same thing to Ayres that Ashnault did.  Maybe Ashnault meant it in a similar vein (and Ayres kind of invited a response by previously stating that Ashnault wouldn't be able to score on Kolodzik). 

In short, there can be some significant nuances between things that look superficially the same.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

13 hours ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

Not really - there's a difference in mean-spirited taunting and good-natured ribbing.  To use an extreme example, was the little kid pictured above taunting Coach Ayres?  Obviously not, nor did Ayres take it that way - he thought it was funny.  But the kid was doing the same thing to Ayres that Ashnault did.  Maybe Ashnault meant it in a similar vein (and Ayres kind of invited a response by previously stating that Ashnault wouldn't be able to score on Kolodzik). 

In short, there can be some significant nuances between things that look superficially the same.

Sure.  And the six gun shooter against Gfeller.  And the fact that he pulled Kolodzik's legs and then shoved him in the chest well after the ref had already called them OOB after his TD in the 3rd period.  Again, I don't care about this stuff at all, but there sure are some double standards going on.

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

Sure.  And the six gun shooter against Gfeller.  And the fact that he pulled Kolodzik's legs and then shoved him in the chest well after the ref had already called them OOB after his TD in the 3rd period.  Again, I don't care about this stuff at all, but there sure are some double standards going on.

DeSanto has brought the scrutiny of the wrestling community on himself. He only has himself to blame. You are correct in your assessment of double standards though.

28 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

DeSanto has brought the scrutiny of the wrestling community on himself. He only has himself to blame. You are correct in your assessment of double standards though.

Sure, I can agree with that.  There's also definitely some "look at me" to it, also.  I personally love it, but it's not for everybody.

21 minutes ago, scribe said:

People still defending this guy’s behavior as entertainment?

There are federal laws, state laws, university rules, NCAA rules, and team rules that all wrestlers must abide by or pay a price. What else do you need?

On 2/6/2019 at 11:09 AM, VakAttack said:

As I've pointed out previously, the "double class" is mostly a myth.  The only significant point contributions from that class are Brent Metcalf, who was going wherever Brands was, and Jay Borschel, who same.  Joey Slaton was one year.  Essentially, it was two guys.  Not to mention, all of them are at Iowa the whole time if Brands was just HC the whole time.  I think it shows pretty great leadership, regardless, be cause all of those kids followed Brands even though they knew they would likely be losing a year.

I think people say "double class" but really mean, "took a loaded recruiting class and added it to a roster that already had significant talent."  

54 minutes ago, Katie said:

There are federal laws, state laws, university rules, NCAA rules, and team rules that all wrestlers must abide by or pay a price. What else do you need?

It appears a public flogging and a 1 match suspension against a team of their choosing. 

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I missed the incident after the 3rd period TD - I'll have to go back and check that out.