Plasmodium

Desanto's In-Match Antics

Looked to me like Manning was separating Berger and Desanto.  They seem to be jawing at each other afterwards.   I am guessing the jesters by Desanto right after the match were directed at Berger.

Iowa and Nebraska fans can't complain about anything in this dual because each have a wrestler that is equally as bad.  Berger and Desanto create quite the hate towards each other.

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

this whole thread whining about desanto while ignoring everything the nebraskka team did leading up to end of desanto's match and particulalry ignoring a coach putting his hands on an opposing team's kid...

you are typically brighter than this...

Right, I agree that people are getting worked up over nothing, and there seems to be an anti-Iowa element to it at times. 

Edited by Katie

of course manning was trying to separate desanto and berger... that is not an acceptable excuse... he crossed a line that i was actually kinda shocked while watching it...

and could not possibly care less about these shenanigans... it seems much ado about nothing to me, but, a coach doing that made me raise my eyebrow...

2 minutes ago, Katie said:

Right, I agree that people are getting worked up over nothing, and there seems to be an anti-Iowa element to it at times. 

see?

i knew you were reasonable...

Just now, headshuck said:

Not sure what age has to do with anything, but if not a coach, then I’d like to see a parent step in.

and demand for mannings resignation?

that seems a little over the top... 

1 minute ago, headshuck said:

Not sure what age has to do with anything, but if not a coach, then I’d like to see a parent step in.

Well, you see, people often behave more childishly at a younger age, and most studies show the young male brain is still very much developing, even up until they turn 25.

IMO, the reason people pile on Iowa in these situations is because this sort of thing seems to disproportionately involve them.  Just within the past few years there were several incidents involving Gilman (running thru the MINN pre-dual huddle in back to back years, Waters backpack slam/Meyers behind the bench hipcheck, jawing at John Smith in post-OSU dual handshake line, etc.) Desanto is just picking up where Gilman left off.  They are still the team everybody loves to hate.

Edited by gromit

8 minutes ago, LJB said:

^ see?

this is exactly what i'm talking about... 

LOL!  That's why you need to take off the black and gold glasses.  Your hatred of Manning & Nebraska is obviously hampering your objectivity.  Think about it for a moment.  If a coach actually assaulted another team's student-athlete for no reason, it'd be all over the news. 

But when a coach gets between two opposing athletes and "lays hands" on them to get them apart to prevent an altercation, he's just doing what we rightfully expect.  #ManningIsInnocent

34 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I've been around wrestling a long time and this is the first time I've seen someone carry an opponent around and flash hand signs to onlookers.  Maybe I'm just not paying attention.  Can anyone think of an additional instance?

Might not be bad if done tastefully.  Flash a peace sign then plant the guy gently on the team logo.

Just now, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

LOL!  That's why you need to take off the black and gold glasses.  Your hatred of Manning & Nebraska is obviously hampering your objectivity.  Think about it for a moment.  If a coach actually assaulted another team's student-athlete for no reason, it'd be all over the news. 

But when a coach gets between two opposing athletes and "lays hands" on them to get them apart to prevent an altercation, he's just doing what we rightfully expect.  #ManningIsInnocent

i don't have any black and gold glasses... that is just an parlor trick to deflect from the obvious double standard that is being shown and has been shown on this forum...

i do not hate manning... yesterday was the first time i have ever seen a nebraska dual... what i saw was eye opening... a team acting like jack asses... throwing junk moves... and their coach being as bad as any of them with his constant whining and then actually putting hands on a kid on the other team... that is not the way a coach should handle these situations that he clearly condones from his kids...

This is kind of an ink blot test.  What people see tells us about them rather than the back and forth.  

- Iowa creates horrible people and brings out the worst in the opposition too

- these antics are just more signs of the impending fall of society and I miss the good old days.

- this stuff is hysterical.  I love it and it is entertaining.

- wrestling is a sport where athletes are supposed to behave like diplomats and exemplify the best in humans so Vulcans can bring us the warp drive

- wrestling needs more of this/this will destroy wrestling.  

Maybe I am crazy but some back and forth banter doesn't seem new or even out of character with the sport though spitting on the mat and manic throat slashing seem to be taking it to a different place.  I guess if the coaches dont mind how it reflects on the team and don't care about lost points, why should we? 

LJB 

i agree, manning whines some.

ever hear another coach whine? I have.

ever seen other teams act like jackwagons?

Iowa has a history here.

Why NU decided to do this today I don't know. but what manning did was move desantics out of the way so the line could progress.

18 minutes ago, Katie said:

Except that there were plenty of us who got worked up over DeSanto's match vs. Tucker and his match vs. Micic...when DeSanto was at Drexel.

1 minute ago, GockeS said:

LJB 

i agree, manning whines some.

ever hear another coach whine? I have.

ever seen other teams act like jackwagons?

Iowa has a history here.

Why NU decided to do this today I don't know. but what manning did was move desantics out of the way so the line could progress.

if this was out of character for a nebraska team then perhaps i am making somehting out of nothing about it... i really have no idea... i just know what i saw and it was surpsing to me...

Berger has a history of this behavior and Desanto has a history of this behavior.  The other 9 wrestlers on both teams were fine.  Didn't see anything major by Red after his match.

Focus on berger in that line, it looks like maybe it was him holding on, he sure seemed verbal. Manning could have grabbed his wrestlers arm and stopped it because it looked like desanto was moving foward, but manning grabbed at desanto instead, the other teams wrestler.

Edited by Molsen

i was surprised to see the others do it.

berger didn't really surprise me.. .he is always chippy...

but even his antics this time were a new sight for me

usually after the match he loses...

4 minutes ago, Molsen said:

Focus on berger in that line, it looks like maybe it was him holding on, he sure seemed verbal. Manning could have grabbed his wrestlers arm and stopped it because it looked like desanto was moving foward, but manning grabbed at desanto instead, the other teams wrestler.

yep... desanto was fine before berger/manning and afterwards... manning did somehting stupid trying to get it moving... he should understand his role as coach better and act accordingly...