Plasmodium

Desanto's In-Match Antics

Just now, TobusRex said:

What makes you think I wasn't bitching about Dave's antics? (for the record: I wasn't ).

Thats fine if you are. He is just a legend. You disagree with that style, and I think there is certainly a place for it. Agree to disagree I guess.

52 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Wow. That article showed me a lot about the Brand's boys that makes me wonder why in hell Iowa would put guys like that in charge of their pride and joy wrestling program? They sound like they'd have been perfectly at home on my HS team, which was about 70% juvenile delinquents.

Do you ever say anything that isn't incredibly ignorant/stupid?

50 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I thought DeSanto talking to his bench and gesturing with his hands (while carrying the opponent) prior to slamming his opponent was pretty low class. 

It's pretty clear that he was communicating that he was going to put him down easy, which he did, after half his bench jumped up to tell him to. The fact you think that was a slam shows your ignorance and inability to comprehend what's going on. That was about as easy as you can put somebody down from that position.

Just now, qc8223 said:

It's pretty clear that he was communicating that he was going to put him down easy, which he did, after half his bench jumped up to tell him to. The fact you think that was a slam shows your ignorance and inability to comprehend what's going on. That was about as easy as you can put somebody down from that position.

LOL.....Yeah, because DeSanto HAD TO TELL HIS TEAMMATES HE WAS PLANNING ON A TAKEDOWN. They probably had never seen a takedown in their lives, all simply being multiple state champion in HS, so they NEEDED DeSanto to explain, like a full blown mental midget, that he was WORKING ON A TAKEDOWN.

I'm seeing why you've only got 67 posts so far. ALL related to poor DeSanto or Lee, lol.

2 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

I wrestled post World War I unlike you, so I have an understanding of the modern version of the sport.

Yeah? But you don't seem to understand the MODERN SPORT very much. Hate to break it to you, knuckledragger, but breaking bones in wrestling went out in Ancient Greece. Immature morons talking about "duh, I want to rip their arms off, duh" shouldn't be made head coaches of D1 wrestling programs.

52 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

"Suspend him!"

*Iowa suspends him*

"NO, SUSPEND HIM BETTER!"

And if it’s against a top opponent Brands could be accused of ducking.  So basically he needs to suspend him for a match where they could use his points, but the opponent doesn’t have a top ranked 133.  Wisconsin is probably the closest they have to that left on the schedule. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

"Suspend him!"

*Iowa suspends him*

"NO, SUSPEND HIM BETTER!"

i agree with you. this is the appropriate action.

I think he is great... just dont do it during the match.

15 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

LOL.....Yeah, because DeSanto HAD TO TELL HIS TEAMMATES HE WAS PLANNING ON A TAKEDOWN. They probably had never seen a takedown in their lives, all simply being multiple state champion in HS, so they NEEDED DeSanto to explain, like a full blown mental midget, that he was WORKING ON A TAKEDOWN.

I'm seeing why you've only got 67 posts so far. ALL related to poor DeSanto or Lee, lol.

Lol, pay attention to what I actually wrote. He wasn't telling them that he was going to finish the takedown. He was telling them he WASN'T going to slam him because that's the only way Iowa loses the dual. Desanto has a history of communicating with coaches using hand signals mid match. He did it a bunch at Drexel. Listen to FRL from this morning. Christian Pyles explained that perfectly. Also, didn't come close to slamming his opponent like you claimed which was a big part of your claim. If you're going to complain, complain about the right things like his taunting.

24 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

you know, after you posted this i went back and watched it again... and it does look kind of like that...

the guy in the yellow hoodie is pointing at his own head (use your head)... be smart... 

interesting.

maybe he shouldn't be suspended.

19 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah? But you don't seem to understand the MODERN SPORT very much. Hate to break it to you, knuckledragger, but breaking bones in wrestling went out in Ancient Greece. Immature morons talking about "duh, I want to rip their arms off, duh" shouldn't be made head coaches of D1 wrestling programs.

Do you really think he was being literal? I know children with a better understanding of figural language than you. It's not like they were never beat. Yet, they never ripped anybody's arms off? Do you also think wrestlers are literally talking about breaking their opponent in half when they say they want to break their opponent? It was hyperbole to emphasize his intense desire to win. That's how everybody without a preconceived bias against the Brands brothers/Iowa would read that.

2 hours ago, GockeS said:

you know, after you posted this i went back and watched it again... and it does look kind of like that...

the guy in the yellow hoodie is pointing at his own head (use your head)... be smart... 

interesting.

maybe he shouldn't be suspended.

I'm pretty sure that's what it was, especially the second hand gesture which was the universal "don't worry, I know" signal. Christian Pyles explains it pretty clearly in today's FRL for anybody else that wants more detail. Desanto has a history of communicating with his coaches like that. I don't think the gestures during the match are what got him suspended. It was the shush/hand shake that got him in trouble.

You can see it in the video here. He appears to be communicating with Jeren Glosser and Lugo who were right in front of him. No excuse for the taunts however.

Edited by qc8223

1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

Lol, pay attention to what I actually wrote. He wasn't telling them that he was going to finish the takedown. He was telling them he WASN'T going to slam him because that's the only way Iowa loses the dual. Desanto has a history of communicating with coaches using hand signals mid match. He did it a bunch at Drexel. Listen to FRL from this morning. Christian Pyles explained that perfectly. Also, didn't come close to slamming his opponent like you claimed which was a big part of your claim. If you're going to complain, complain about the right things like his taunting.

He didn’t slam him, but I think it could be argued he came close to it

1 hour ago, qc8223 said:

Do you really think he was being literal? I know children with a better understanding of figural language than you. It's not like they were never beat. Yet, they never ripped anybody's arms off? Do you also think wrestlers are literally talking about breaking their opponent in half when they say they want to break their opponent? It was hyperbole to emphasize his intense desire to win. That's how everybody without a preconceived bias against the Brands brothers/Iowa would read that.

It doesn't MATTER if he's being literal. He's basically showing he's an immature moron just for saying stuff like that ANYWAY.

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

It doesn't MATTER if he's being literal. He's basically showing he's an immature moron just for saying stuff like that ANYWAY.

Really a shame that Iowa would hire a guy who coached there for years as an assistant, was one of their best lightweights ever, and was beloved by their fans. Using hyperbole in an interview 10 years earlier to describe a physical, high intensity style of competition that the school had become famous for over the previous 30 years of dominance should have eliminated Brands from consideration.

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

He didn’t slam him, but I think it could be argued he came close to it

Peska was draped over top, locked in the crotch, looking to roll through when desanto put him down. To prevent that Desanto had to sit his left hip under as he put him down to prevent Peska from getting underneath his hips and rolling him through. Despite that, he still managed to put Peska down pretty softly. 

2 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Really a shame that Iowa would hire a guy who coached there for years as an assistant, was one of their best lightweights ever, and was beloved by their fans. Using hyperbole in an interview 10 years earlier to describe a physical, high intensity style of competition that the school had become famous for over the previous 30 years of dominance should have eliminated Brands from consideration.

Yeah, and how has that hire worked out for the Hawkeyes? 

Great candid and frank apology by DeSanto and I think that goes a long way.   It is damn near impossible to publicly admit you are wrong when you are 20 years old.    Brands suspension against a patsy like Maryland is meaningless, but if the Terps are next up what else can you do.  I'm moving on.    However ....... if the Hawks on the bench were really concerned that he was going to slam Peska then that is a whole new dimension of dangerous and out of control. 

In the big world beyond wrestling I am hoping for the best for the kid.  The U of I admins better be sure they have this tamped down tight.    

38 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, and how has that hire worked out for the Hawkeyes? 

18 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

They have more team championships than every school except 1 during that time span?

Lol, Iowa has finished with a team trophy in 10 of 12 years with Brands as head coach, including 3 titles. They finished 8th his first year as coach in 2007. They finished 5th in 2016, one point behind 4th place Virginia Tech. One point away from coming home with a team trophy for 11 straight years. Important to note that this was the year Sam Stoll tore his ACL in the last dual of the year against Gwiz. He was ranked 5th at the time and would have been expected to place. They were only 5 points back of Ohio State. If Stoll doesn't tear his ACL they most likely finish third.

This coming during a period in which the quality of in state talent in Iowa has decreased significantly. Brands' results as head coach are historically good and once again you proudly display your ignorance. What did you think of OSU's 13th place finish last year? Do you think they regret having John Smith as coach because his teams have yet to beat Cael, who is one of the most successful coaches in all of sports? Do you think Ohio State is disappointed in Tom Ryan because the only year he was able to win was the year Cael decided to punt? Just stupid.

Edited by qc8223

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

They have more team championships than every school except 1 during that time span?

How many of those titles were due to Brand's leadership? How many were due to the double class/Metcalf? I submit, in light of the last 8 years of evidence, that those 3 titles were due to Metcalf/the double class more than Brand's coaching ability. 

@qc8223

Finishing top5....whoop ti do. Finishing 5th is like kissing your grandmother on the lips and getting tongue. I remember Zalesky getting fired for finishing in the top 5 too many times.  It kinda hurts (as an Okie fan) to say this, but Hawkeye wrestling is about WINNING TITLES, not getting participation trophies.

2 hours ago, TFBJR said:

Great candid and frank apology by DeSanto and I think that goes a long way.   It is damn near impossible to publicly admit you are wrong when you are 20 years old.    Brands suspension against a patsy like Maryland is meaningless, but if the Terps are next up what else can you do.  I'm moving on.    However ....... if the Hawks on the bench were really concerned that he was going to slam Peska then that is a whole new dimension of dangerous and out of control. 

In the big world beyond wrestling I am hoping for the best for the kid.  The U of I admins better be sure they have this tamped down tight.    

ronnie dont fall off!

secretariat

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

How many of those titles were due to Brand's leadership? How many were due to the double class/Metcalf? I submit, in light of the last 8 years of evidence, that those 3 titles were due to Metcalf/the double class more than Brand's coaching ability. 

@qc8223

Finishing top5....whoop ti do. Finishing 5th is like kissing your grandmother on the lips and getting tongue. I remember Zalesky getting fired for finishing in the top 5 too many times.  It kinda hurts (as an Okie fan) to say this, but Hawkeye wrestling is about WINNING TITLES, not getting participation trophies.

That's pretty weak. The wrestlers from the "double class" like Dennis, Morningstar, etc... all had significantly better results under Brands than before. Ask them whether Brands' leadership played a big role in their development. Also, reading comprehension again. 5th is their worst finish over the course of 12 years not counting Brands' first year when he couldn't wrestle 3 of his studs. 10 top 4 finishes. The landscape of college wrestling has changed. If your definition of a good hire is only winning titles, then there is only one successful coach in the country in Sanderson. This isn't the 80s grandpa. The days of Gable are over for Iowa. The reign of Cael is here. He is a transcendent figure in the sport. The GOAT in college wrestling (making him the most recognizable/admired figure for recruits), an Olympic champion, and a world class developer of talent. He also has assembled an amazing staff of elite assistants that for some reason never leave for head coaching opportunities. He is the Gable of our age. Everybody wants to wrestle for him, and for good reason. But to then take those facts into consideration and decide they mean that all other coaches are failures is just stupid. Do you want Smith to step down at Ok. State because he hasn't won a title since the mid 2000s? He's more of a failure than Brands isn't he?