Jimmy Cinnabon

Unpopular opinion - we need more DeSantos out there

I like the antics - the taunting, the headmushes, the throat slashes, the talking during the match.  One problem with college wrestling is that it utterly lacks mainstream appeal.  One reason why MMA is so popular is all the "extracurricular".  Jawing and shoving during press conferences, showboating and taunting during the fight.  Fighting AFTER the fight.

I say the more, the better.  Who cares, take away team points...but let's not act like guys like DeSanto don't make wrestling more exciting to the casual fan.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

5 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

True.  It is an unpopular opinion. 

Amateur athletics.  It isn't an amateur's job to promote events for the good of the sport.  

Maybe technically true, but then when the sport just dies away, congratulations on just being left with your principles.  It's sports.  It is entertainment.  It has no inherent value for the spectator beyond that.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Maybe technically true, but then when the sport just dies away, congratulations on just being left with your principles.  It's sports.  It is entertainment.  It has no inherent value for the spectator beyond that.

Fair.

I am just glad you didn't go with the "Iowa Singlet double standard" line again. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I like the antics - the taunting, the headmushes, the throat slashes, the talking during the match.  One problem with college wrestling is that it utterly lacks mainstream appeal.  One reason why MMA is so popular is all the "extracurricular".  Jawing and shoving during press conferences, showboating and taunting during the fight.  Fighting AFTER the fight.

I say the more, the better.  Who cares, take away team points...but let's not act like guys like DeSanto don't make wrestling more exciting to the casual fan.

I really don't think he does anything for the casual fan.  Nor does he make anyone new tune in. He just gives Flo something to talk about and drives more posts on forums like this one for people who are already fans.  Nobody in Lincoln who wasn't already going to the meet bought a ticket because Desanto was coming to town.  The lack of people being dickheads isn't the reason college wrestling is a niche sport.

Just now, hammerlockthree said:

IDK maybe you are right. I assume that anyone attracted to that sort of behavior would just watch MMA. 

I feel like young people in this country are VERY attracted to this kind of attitude and behavior.  I don't know, I guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, LordNelson said:

It has cost the Hawk's multiple team points in multiple events.

Maybe they outweigh the potential attraction of fans to their heel vs. total team output. 

Well, that's another debate.  I think that whole idea is bogus, but either way, it hasn't changed the result of a competition thusfar.

19 minutes ago, scribe said:

Someone like Berger knows where the line is with this kind of stuff. DeSanto doesn’t. At all. 

And if DeSanto steps over the line, he gets punished. They did take a team point away yesterday. 

If at NCAAs he acts like he did last year, they will punish him severely. They are looking out for it from him. 

I don’t like the threat of team points being deducted at NCAAs. Seems like an ejection would be a better punishment. Maybe 1 warming first in some cases, but it is up to the ref. Something like DeSanto did last year should be an auto DQ. What he did bs Nebraska? Eh let his coaches punish him. Let his reputation suffer. It was just verbal and was directed at a wrestler who was talking ****.