Jimmy Cinnabon

Unpopular opinion - we need more DeSantos out there

Just now, Housebuye said:

I don’t like the threat of team points being deducted at NCAAs. Seems like an ejection would be a better punishment. Maybe 1 warming first in some cases, but it is up to the ref. Something like DeSanto did last year should be an auto DQ. What he did bs Nebraska? Eh let his coaches punish him. Let his reputation suffer. It was just verbal and was directed at a wrestler who was talking ****. 

I guess you're struggling with the whole team points thing.

DQ means he loses all his team points earned.  Or, he gets whacked on a case by case basis.

If his behavior dictates a DQ, then so be it. 

3 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

I'm just not a fan of disrespecting your opponents on any level.

If you want to shoot your anklets out of the sky after you win a title, I get it.  

I’m not usually a fan of it either, but that doesn’t mean they should be punished. 

Desanto pushes it a little farther than I like, but he still hasn’t crossed the line for me in terms of penalties. If he ever touches another wrestler agrressively off the mat? Or touches an opposing coach aggressively? He should be severely punished  DQ him for a few duals. If that happens to be near Big10s, too bad. 

I do think the Brands are playing with Fire here a bit. He was doing well earlier in the season. He still had some pop after his matches but he was holding it together. If they keep supporting this new behavior I’m a little concerned he loses his temper at the wrong time and gets kicked off the team. 

1 minute ago, LordNelson said:

I guess you're struggling with the whole team points thing.

DQ means he loses all his team points earned.  Or, he gets whacked on a case by case basis.

If his behavior dictates a DQ, then so be it. 

Yeah that’s what I’m struggling with. Does a DQ really remove all of his earned points? I assumed it only affects future matches. Meaning, if he gets DQd in the semis, he still gets his advancement, bonus and 6th place points. I could be way off

How many times has he been called for stalling this year?  Isn't he really the kind of guy you claim to want to see wrestling?  There's a lot of sensitivity on these boards.  I don't care for the antics, but if it's that big of a deal the refs will ding him team points.  Then Brands should take care of it.  

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

Yeah that’s what I’m struggling with. Does a DQ really remove all of his earned points? I assumed it only affects future matches. Meaning, if he gets DQd in the semis, he still gets his advancement, bonus and 6th place points. I could be way off

You are, DQ removes them all. 

Just now, Chrissn2001 said:

How many times has he been called for stalling this year?  Isn't he really the kind of guy you claim to want to see wrestling?  There's a lot of sensitivity on these boards.  I don't care for the antics, but if it's that big of a deal the refs will ding him team points.  Then Brands should take care of it.  

True.  But he is still in violation of the rules.

8 minutes ago, ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying said:

Who cares?

The casual/potential fan cares.  Right now wrestling is painfully boring for anyone that didn't wrestle or grow up around wrestling.  IF something as silly as some antics can attract some new fans I'm all for it.

Let's not forget wrestling was almost dropped from the Olympics recently.  It's a dying sport in terms of popularity -- I want to see it stick around and grow in popularity generally.

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I’m not usually a fan of it either, but that doesn’t mean they should be punished. 

A big part of the reason taunting is against the rules is because it causes things to escalate.  One guy pushes the line, another guy pushes back, one of them goes over it. You see it happen in football and basketball games all the time. A ref lets things go early on and eventually things get out of hand. That's why I'm all about letting guys celebrate after the match and don't care about making gestures to the crowd or anything like that. That doesn't put the other wrestler in a position where they have to take the taunt or respond to the taunt.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The casual/potential fan cares.  Right now wrestling is painfully boring for anyone that didn't wrestle or grow up around wrestling.  IF something as silly as some antics can attract some new fans I'm all for it.

Let's not forget wrestling was almost dropped from the Olympics recently.  It's a dying sport in terms of popularity -- I want to see it stick around and grow in popularity generally.

I need 4 tickets to NCAA's.   Since the sport is dying, they will be a piece of cake to get, and cheap too.  

Signed,

A lot of people 

There are plenty of celebrations in football, but NOT taunting. You want to celebrate after a match, do a back flip, flex muscles, whatever, but taunting or deliberately trying to shame or disrespect an opponent is going too far. 

27 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

it doesn't bring in fans from the outside....doesn't sell t shirts, it just gets clicks thats it.

I dont know, I showed the video to a friend of mine and he is now interested in watching a dual when he wasnt before

14 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Or touches an opposing coach aggressively? He should be severely punished  DQ him for a few duals. If that happens to be near Big10s, too bad. 

manning put his hands on desanto aggressively yesterday... i was pretty shocked when i saw it happen... how did you feel about that?

Does anyone really think DeSanto is helping to grow the sport by acting like a douchebag?  This is anathema to long time fans, who are the ones who show up at events.  

This also does nothing to bring in “non wrestling” fans, and probably helps to reinforce the notion that wrestling is filled with a bunch of uneducated neanderthals.   

Show emotion.  Just don’t taunt your opponent, especially after humiliating him on the mat.  

57 minutes ago, scribe said:

Someone like Berger knows where the line is with this kind of stuff. DeSanto doesn’t. At all. 

Desanto didn't do anything worse than Berger yesterday. They both taunted the opposing bench. So many people transpose the kimura back onto every Desanto incident. The reality is that he hasn't done anything other than talk trash this year and that isn't something unique to him. The other thing that I think causes people to get more upset is that his taunting isn't very fluid. Berger did a full walk by of the Iowa bench shouting "This is my house" and then blew a kiss to the coaches. Desanto kind of spazzes out (for lack of a better description). Everything is in short, awkward bursts. Nothing looks comfortable or natural and I think it draws more attention.

22 minutes ago, kgschalhoub said:

There are plenty of celebrations in football, but NOT taunting. You want to celebrate after a match, do a back flip, flex muscles, whatever, but taunting or deliberately trying to shame or disrespect an opponent is going too far. 

There is a ton of taunting in Football. The shush or hand to the ear is one of the default/go-to celebrations of any player who is playing on the road. Also, the players talk trash and shove each other after almost every play. Come on, man. Pay attention.

40 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

The reality is that he hasn't done anything other than talk trash this year and that isn't something unique to him.

He straight up spit on an opposing team's home mat....  Just because he hasn't tried to actually break someone's arm this year doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve the flak he's getting...

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, kgschalhoub said:

FIFY - doing a celebratory back flip might put you at risk of injury.

Image result for caldwell backflip