Sign in to follow this  
stp

Best backups?

2 minutes ago, stp said:

Who are some of the best non-starting wrestlers?    If they are underclassman, do you expect them to become a starter before graduating?      

Nick Nevills comes to mind - he is the only 2X AA backup

Outside of redshirts, real quality backups are few and far between these days.  

Lewallen (or whoever gets forced out of the lineup between 125 - 149 for Oklahoma State) is the only other AA quality backup I can think of.  

Hunter Bolen might be another one, if you consider him a backup.  Technically redshirting, but not a true freshman. 

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

Jeren Glosser, Kaleb Young’s backup has 3 wins over ranked wrestlers (Barone 2x, Van Brill) and another over fringe top 20 Weiland while also wrestling tough matches against Deakin twice each of the last two years and close losses to Pantaleo and Austin O’Connor last year.

11 hours ago, ionel said:

Well Gfeller was Brock's backup at 141, he seems to have done ok filling in at 149.

I think he'd handle Brock easily, now. Brock has regressed while Gfeller is getting better and better.

Before Boo got injured again, I'd have called Gfeller the best backup in D1.  Since Kaden is starting now, I'd have to opt for Nevills at PSU as the top backup.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

I think he'd handle Brock easily, now. Brock has regressed while Gfeller is getting better and better.

Before Boo got injured again, I'd have called Gfeller the best backup in D1.  Since Kaden is starting now, I'd have to opt for Nevills at PSU as the top backup.

I'd agree.