Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

EWL and MAC

35 minutes ago, justafan said:

Yes into 2 divisions Cleveland St will be in with the original MAC schools minus ODU.ODU will go in division with EWL schools minus Cleveland St.

I don’t get it. They are merging but are staying as two separate divisions? What’s the difference between two conferences and one conference with two divisions? Why not just switch CSU and ODU if that’s all it is accomplishing?

14 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t get it. They are merging but are staying as two separate divisions? What’s the difference between two conferences and one conference with two divisions? Why not just switch CSU and ODU if that’s all it is accomplishing?

Without knowing anything specific it could be a means to lower executive resource needs- people and tournament locations.

You will still have a 15 team conference tournament.The divisions are for duals and is being done by location makes sense for ODU to be in MAC East and Cleveland St to be in MAC West.It will cut down on travel expenses for the schools who don't have have the budgets the Big 10 schools have

Edited by justafan

To me the interesting question is what happens with transfers leaving current MAC schools looking to transfer to current EWL schools. I see the MAC transfer rule being tested this offseason.

17 minutes ago, justafan said:

You will still have a 15 team conference tournament.The divisions are for duals and is being done by location makes sense for ODU to be in MAC East and Cleveland St to be in MAC West.It will cut down on travel expenses for the schools who don't have have the budgets the Big 10 schools have

So this is all just to accommodate the difference in travel to these two schools?  

Lot more to it than that. EWL programs will gain much more exposure being with the MAC brand and their streaming deal with ESPN. It also creates two divisions for scheduling (plus two crossover duals based on what I’ve gathered). From a recruiting standpoint, the conference spans the NY-PA-OH-MI-IN-IL swath, which can be a draw to spread talent too. ODU, for example, has 8-9 IL kids on the roster, something that isn’t happening if they weren’t in the MAC. it’s another mega conference, but from what I gather, the EWL just isn’t self-sustainable anymore.