CTex

D1 vs D3

Yes, not many but a few each year. That's what happened when they allowed them to participate.

Some schools like Cal Bakersfield made hop to d 1. But yes they  put singlet and tie shoe the same way . Have good tourney there d1 AA if allowed back in.

Frank C

Are you talking this year or in general.  Joey Davis would have surely placed.  There are a few former lower division guys on D1 rosters that are expected to AA or be a strong threat.  Isaiah white, jacobe smith, just off the top this year.  

7 hours ago, Swayz said:

Hell there are some solid juco guys that would All American this year.   Every once in a while you get an NAIA guy that could too.   

Who are the JUCO guys we should be keeping an eye on Swayz?

What gets me is that I don't understand why more D3 guys don't try to compete in opens against the D1 guys.  Rarely have we seen the top D3 and D2 guys compete against D1.  Maybe its easier to say that there is not that big a difference and without any real evidence, its hard to refute.

I think if you look at a guy like White(Thomas of Pitt)and others that have come to D1, they generally are not competing for a title.  More often than not, they are in the 8-20 range, imo.

Edited by pennsyrules

8 hours ago, Swayz said:

Hell there are some solid juco guys that would All American this year.   Every once in a while you get an NAIA guy that could too.  

I used to go to NAIA nationals, and there were always a couple guys that teched their way through and didn't belong there. I think a lot guys who could have been D1 easily, end up NAIA because of trouble, grades, or because they want to be a stud in two sports. 

32 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Aside from Tervel, have any D3 or D2 guys done well in freestyle?

One example is Joe Gonzales, 2x D2 champ and D1 champ & runnerup for Cal St Bakersfield. He won World bronze in ‘82. Also won Tbilisi that year.

Edited by gromit

Simon Fraser University, a current Division II and former NAIA school (in Canada), boasts a number of freestyle World medalists: Chris Wilson, Bob Molle, Jeff Thue, Chris Rinke, and Daniel Igali, to name a few. 

Living in Ohio , I find it interesting the number of Div 2 high school wrestlers that end up being really solid in college . I really have never understood the Div thing in HS . In my case the town I’m from is Div 1 wrestling but Div 2 football . Having said that, I’ve never really tried to find the answer I admit .

15 hours ago, Gantry said:

Who are the JUCO guys we should be keeping an eye on Swayz?

133 Boo Dryden of Northeast Oklahoma is mean as hell, but will he go D1?  He would be a solid pickup and worth a redshirt at the DI level.  Long tall frame for the weight,   he is 35-0 on the year and only 1/3rd of his wins are against juco guys.  He has wins over Sjmolering (by fall) and Parrish of Nebraska.  Also wins over the #2 NJCAA wrestler by major, and pins over 4 different NAIA and NJCAA All Americans.

I am fading fast (just got in about 40 minutes ago from announcing a match, but I do like Baterdene Boldma at 141,  but he is ranked #2, so I may have to research some more. 

10 hours ago, gromit said:

One example is Joe Gonzales, 2x D2 champ and D1 champ & runnerup for Cal St Bakersfield. He won World bronze in ‘82. Also won Tbilisi that year.

also his Cal St Bakersfield teammate John Azevedo was 4th in the world in '82. 

as for other D2 etc wrestlers doing  well in freestyle, wasn't one of the Peterson brothers from a lower division school?

2 hours ago, KTG119 said:

also his Cal St Bakersfield teammate John Azevedo was 4th in the world in '82. 

as for other D2 etc wrestlers doing  well in freestyle, wasn't one of the Peterson brothers from a lower division school?

Yes. John Peterson, Olympic gold & silver and World silver & bronze medalist in freestyle.  Serious late bloomer as he was "only" an NAIA all-american in college for the University of Wisconsin Stout.

I went to camps as a kid with the Peterson brothers & other 70s era Oly team members as clinicians & also got the chance to meet and talk to John a few years ago @ NCAAs.....great guy. 

Edited by gromit

On 2/5/2019 at 1:10 PM, scramble said:

Trevel could have potentially been a D1 champ.  Cormeir would have probably been a D1 champ comming out of NJCAA had it not been for Sanderson. 

Kelivin Jackson was a D1 Champ and came from NJCAA.  Shelton Benjamin also AA from JUCO.  My brother Dan Pantaleo D3 Champ beat Leo Bailey first round in 85 and lost in the blood round in 84 to Jeff Kerber and in 85.  Pete Gonzales,  Karl Monaco a  couple other D3 guys that AA'd at D1.  Monaco runner-up to Keriger in 89.

12 minutes ago, Rhackler said:

Jack Cuvo did OK at D1 nationals coming out of D2 East Strousberg.

East Stroudsburg wrestling was D1 when Cuvo was there.

Another D2 guy that comes to mind is Jeff Blatnick (Springfield).  2x D2 champ and 6th and 3rd D1...turned out to be pretty good at Greco.

Edited by gromit

1 minute ago, gromit said:

East Stroudsburg wrestling was D1 when Cuvo was there.

Another D2 guy that comes to mind is Jeff Blatnick...turned out to be pretty good at Greco.

Confirmation on that?  I don't have a source in front of me, but I'm fairly certain that ESU was D2 when Cuvo wrestled and ran cross country there.