cangemi

Iowa 2020 National Champs?

IOWA Next year,

With Kemmer and almost everyone back but 2 or so . Have to be a real threat to knock off PSU .

PSU loses --( Nickal , Rasheed, Nolf )  IMHO. Maybe Iowa breaking the dynasty.

Frank C

1 minute ago, cangemi said:

IOWA Next year,

With Kemmer and almost everyone back but 2 or so . Have to be a real threat to knock off PSU .

PSU loses --( Nickal , Rasheed, Nolf )  IMHO. Maybe Iowa breaking the dynasty.

Frank C

They have a very good shot at winning it next year providing everyone is/stays healthy.  PSU loses a lot however with their track record of popping the "next guy in" I would not bet against them either.  I think it will be as open as it has been in a very long while.

I think Cassioppi will do every bit as go as Stoll will this year, especially an injured Stoll.

Curious what happens at 157.  Not sure Young will be able to make that again.  I assume Nelson Brands will go down to 157.

Can someone post next year's predicted lineup for Iowa?  For PSU?  For Cornell?  Maybe a good exercise to help flesh it a bit better.  Here's a potential take at tOSU:

125:  Heinselman (if he lifts and fills out, he has the pedigree, credentials, and overall skill set to potentially AA... note word "potential")

133:  Pletcher (AA calibre)

141:  Kinner (proving to be a go'er, and should improve rolling in that room.  Not calling AA yet, but clearly has skill)

149:  Sasso (This guy is going rock the world next year)

157:  Hayes (R12 / low AA calibre)

165:  Romero / Kharchla (Romero should improve.  However, if Kharchla comes in and proves he's every bit as good as hyped, AA threat for Kharchla as a true frosh)

174:  E. Smith (remains to be seen, but proving that he can hang with top guys i.e. Amine, and beat ranked guys, i.e. christensen/sebastian).  I think he continues to improve, and is an AA threat next year.

184:  G. Hoffman (Hoffman's credentials are as blue chip as can be.  He has AA written all over him, assuming he improves in some true freshman mistake areas)

197:  Moore (National Champ for his senior year)

HWT:  Singletary / Kerkvliet (R12 calibre for Singletary.  Assuming Kerk returns to form that we saw last year, and then some by rolling with Moore, Snyder, etc., Kerk is gonna be a VERY tough out, so AA material in my book)

This team may not put up the astronomical points that PSU has the past few years, but this team isn't weak either.

IOWA:                                          PSU:

125: Lee                                       125: Teske

133: Desanto                               133: RBY

141: Murin/Renteria                   141: Nick Lee

149: Lugo                                     149: Verklereen or Berge

157: Young/Brands                    157: Same as above or Joe Lee potentially

165: Marinelli                               165: Vincenzo

174: Kemerer                               174: Mark Hall

184: Wilcke                                  184: Aaron Brooks

197: Warner                                 197: Michael Beard

285: Cassioppi                            285: Cassar or Nevills

I would say Iowa is the favorites on paper in 2020, however PSU could continue their run. Brooks & Beard look like immediate title threats and Seth Nevills should be an AA. Ohio State is also interesting, but I think it is asking to much of the young guys for them to win in 2020. 2021 they could be favorites. I'd redshirt Kharchla & Kerkvliet, although I suspect Ryan goes all-in again and pulls their shirts. Should be an exciting year.

For Iowa:

125: Lee (Title favorite with lots of bonus)

133: Desanto (potential finalist/title contender with some early bonus. Could also be low AA/R12 if he's off.)

141: Murin/Renteria (Mid to low AA threat)

149: Lugo (hard to tell, but anywhere from R12 to finalist, probably low AA)

157: Young/Brands (I think Young will go here and be a high AA contender. Weight clears a bit. Wouldn't be favored against a Deakin or Hidlay, but he could maybe steal a match. Hard to score on. Probably mid to low AA)

165: Marinelli (Title Contender, floor at low AA)

174: Kemerer (Finalist contender, potential title contender depending on Hall/Valencia redshirt or weight situation)

184: Wilcke (Low AA threat, could get hot and place higher, but could also not place)

197: Warner (would have said finalist contender, but he's been underwhelming this year. If his leg attacks return finalist contender. If not, low AA threat in a weak weight.)

285: Cassioppi (probably low AA threat, maybe higher, but could also be a R12 type guy).

Iowa needs their horses (Lee, Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer to come through and score bonus. The rest of their lineup has the potential to place, but mostly on the bottom half of the podium without much bonus (except for maybe Cassioppi who is a pinner), which doesn't translate into a whole lot of points.

I'll give my best shot at Penn State because I'm bored at work:

125: Teske (I like Teske as a prospect and could see him rounding into a low AA threat. Not the strongest weight either, so that helps)

133: RBY (Love him and think he'll be a legit title contender next year and maybe even this year. Very skilled, maybe a little low on horse power this year. However, it's a brutal weight. Same outlook as Desanto above. Could be a finalist or could be R12 if he's off)

141: Lee (Finalist contender, high AA lock. Could get knocked off by a scrambler, but I think he's a pretty sure bet to place high.)

149: Verkleeren (low AA threat, but more likely he's a R12/R16 type guy. Needs more consistent offense. Could develop though.)

157: Berge (Hard to predict how he'll do at a more natural weight. Lack of offense could hold him back similar to Young from Iowa. Tough out for anybody though. I'll say low AA with potential to make a big jump)

165: Joseph (pretty solid)

174: Hall (Could redshirt. If not hall probably Manville right? Big points for Hall, not much for Manville)

184: Talks of Shak getting another year. If so, title contender. If not, Aaron Brooks? Brooks has a lot of potential but is definitely more of a freestyler right now. Could be their next transcendent guy though.

197: Beard (I think he'll be pretty tough as a freshman in a weak weight. Good on top and that will take him far. Low AA with a chance to place higher if he's better on his feet than I think he is.)

285: Cassar (I think he gets another year and is the top challenger to Gable. If not, we see Nevills who I don't think places.)

I haven't paid too much attention to BWI this year, so I may not be as clued in to their lineup plans, but this team is certainly good enough to win in my opinion, and potentially should be the favorite. 

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I'll give my best shot at Penn State because I'm bored at work:

125: Teske (I like Teske as a prospect and could see him rounding into a low AA threat. Not the strongest weight either, so that helps)

133: RBY (Love him and think he'll be a legit title contender next year and maybe even this year. Very skilled, maybe a little low on horse power this year. However, it's a brutal weight. Same outlook as Desanto above. Could be a finalist or could be R12 if he's off)

141: Lee (Finalist contender, high AA lock. Could get knocked off by a scrambler, but I think he's a pretty sure bet to place high.)

149: Verkleeren (low AA threat, but more likely he's a R12/R16 type guy. Needs more consistent offense. Could develop though.)

157: Berge (Hard to predict how he'll do at a more natural weight. Lack of offense could hold him back similar to Young from Iowa. Tough out for anybody though. I'll say low AA with potential to make a big jump)

165: Joseph (pretty solid)

174: Hall (Could redshirt. If not hall probably Manville right? Big points for Hall, not much for Manville)

184: Talks of Shak getting another year. If so, title contender. If not, Aaron Brooks? Brooks has a lot of potential but is definitely more of a freestyler right now. Could be their next transcendent guy though.

197: Beard (I think he'll be pretty tough as a freshman in a weak weight. Good on top and that will take him far. Low AA with a chance to place higher if he's better on his feet than I think he is.)

285: Cassar (I think he gets another year and is the top challenger to Gable. If not, we see Nevills who I don't think places.)

I haven't paid too much attention to BWI this year, so I may not be as clued in to their lineup plans, but this team is certainly good enough to win in my opinion, and potentially should be the favorite. 

You have all the right guys listed. 

12 hours ago, Hwkfan4life said:

Except for the fact that beard and brooks are unproven, but you are pegging them as title contenders already

Hey, HR is calling for Kimmer, the guy whose leg got operated on, to beat Mark Hall. And Kimmer hjas never wrestled a single match at 174 making him unproven too, so if they can make that leap then I can easily make mine. Plus, just look at the PSU track record with guys that good. I'm on solid ground. You don't have to believe me, that's OK. I'm good with that. It will probably still happen and you'll eventually come to see that I was on solid ground here. 

Edited by TBar1977

I’ll take a stab at Cornell 

125  LaJoie

133 Arujau

141 Tucker

149 Yanni

157 Stroker

165 Berreyesa 

174 Womack

184 Dean

197 Darmstadt 

285 Furman/Janney

This doesn’t include any incoming freshman predictions.

14 hours ago, qc8223 said:

For Iowa:

125: Lee (Title favorite with lots of bonus)

133: Desanto (potential finalist/title contender with some early bonus. Could also be low AA/R12 if he's off.)

141: Murin/Renteria (Mid to low AA threat)

149: Lugo (hard to tell, but anywhere from R12 to finalist, probably low AA)

157: Young/Brands (I think Young will go here and be a high AA contender. Weight clears a bit. Wouldn't be favored against a Deakin or Hidlay, but he could maybe steal a match. Hard to score on. Probably mid to low AA)

165: Marinelli (Title Contender, floor at low AA)

174: Kemerer (Finalist contender, potential title contender depending on Hall/Valencia redshirt or weight situation)

184: Wilcke (Low AA threat, could get hot and place higher, but could also not place)

197: Warner (would have said finalist contender, but he's been underwhelming this year. If his leg attacks return finalist contender. If not, low AA threat in a weak weight.)

285: Cassioppi (probably low AA threat, maybe higher, but could also be a R12 type guy).

Iowa needs their horses (Lee, Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer to come through and score bonus. The rest of their lineup has the potential to place, but mostly on the bottom half of the podium without much bonus (except for maybe Cassioppi who is a pinner), which doesn't translate into a whole lot of points.

I think Kemerer is an excellent wrestler but I’m not believing he is a finalist contender up two weights with a bad back.  He didn’t look all that big at 57.  I hope he is.

1 hour ago, Sstern said:

I think Kemerer is an excellent wrestler but I’m not believing he is a finalist contender up two weights with a bad back.  He didn’t look all that big at 57.  I hope he is.

What did you do to his back? His injuries weren't back injuries...

Also, the cut for him was not easy.

Edited by wrestlingphish

10 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Hey, HR is calling for Kimmer, the guy whose leg got operated on, to beat Mark Hall. If they can make that leap, then I can easily make mine. Plus, PSU track record with guys that good. I'm on solid ground. You don't have to believe me, that's OK. I'm good with that. It will still happen. You'll eventually come to see that I was right. 

Two wrongs don't make a right.