Coach_J

Suspension

“I want to apologize to my opponents and teammates for my actions on the mat. I know they are disrespectful and there is no excuse,” DeSanto said. “I accept the consequences of my behavior and the decision of Coach Brands, and have assured my teammates and coaches that I will better represent our team when I return.”

Still want to support this BS?  Kudos to Brands for stepping up.

Managing emotions at that age (or any age for that matter) in competition is difficult, And for some, more difficult for others. The Iowa coaching staff has to help this kid. Maybe the suspension will help, but I suspect his behavior will not fundamentally change unless he gets real professional help.

10 minutes ago, kgschalhoub said:

Managing emotions at that age (or any age for that matter) in competition is difficult, And for some, more difficult for others. The Iowa coaching staff has to help this kid. Maybe the suspension will help, but I suspect his behavior will not fundamentally change unless he gets real professional help.

Yet everyone else manages to control themselves

Double standard. Never would’ve happened if Austin didn’t lose it at NCAAs last year. 

He put himself in the crosshairs because of that, which is on him. I don’t blame Brands, but that was no where near as bad as Gilman vs Missouri. It was about on par with what Berger did, but there is no chances he gets in trouble. 

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Double standard. Never would’ve happened if Austin didn’t lose it at NCAAs last year. 

He put himself in the crosshairs because of that, which is on him. I don’t blame Brands, but that was no where near as bad as Gilman vs Missouri. It was about on par with what Berger did, but there is no chances he gets in trouble. 

The incidents last year definitely have not helped his reputation, but I don’t think that caused the suspension. I think it was the 3-4 duals in a row with not only some antics but actually losing a team point. Now, you could say that this years antics and last year are just part of his personality. It very well could be that it was there the whole time, his struggle to maintain composure. Last year, his biggest spotlight was NCAAs where some big issues took place. This year he is at IA where they are always in the spotlight, on Flo, and etc. Maybe he just plays into the atmosphere too much. 

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't think DeSanto can control himself, despite his comments following the 1 match suspension. Wasn't he apologetic after putting a kimura on Micic last year?

We'll see.

I agree he is not in control. Deranged individual. Sad to say. Or see.  But he is a good athlete. Accident waiting to happen. 

13 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I don't think DeSanto can control himself, despite his comments following the 1 match suspension. Wasn't he apologetic after putting a kimura on Micic last year?

We'll see.

I suspect DeSanto's comments were scripted for him by someone in the AD's office.  Sounds like the politically correct thing you'd want your athlete to say - not what a real college underclassman would say/write.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

7 minutes ago, southend said:

I agree he is not in control. Deranged individual. Sad to say. Or see.  But he is a good athlete. Accident waiting to happen. 

Sad to say? You seemed to have a good ole time saying how crazy Desanto is only stopping short of saying he belongs in a straitjacket.

15 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Not really....he disfigures all his greatest achievements...what is deranged if not that? 

If you say so. I'm sure it is all from the heart. If Desanto does act out again, I am sure you would all be ready to boast.... I mean be concerned about Austin. 

I have seen very little video of DeSanto in high school anyone know of similar behavior at that level or has this just been a total change of character in college.

Edited by Sublime607

Best case scenario, he's a heel. We tell our kids to behave better than that.

Worst case scenario, he hurts someone. 

I think the latter is just a matter of time. If it does happen, it will not be a good look for our sport. Kudos to Brands for sitting him. I think that should have happened earlier, but we all know that Brands' values "@holes". 

15 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

I have seen very little video of DeSanto in high school anyone know of similar behavior at that level or has this just been a total change of character in college.

I saw him a couple times at states and he was nothing like this.

7 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

when? Just Curious

Illinois match Fri after Rutgers (the Suriano episode).  He was there warming up, Brands talked to him right before they went back to locker room before intros.  He then wrestled next match on Sunday at NW.

Of course we really dont know if current one is a Brands suspension/sit out or if came from a higher level.