Coach_J

Suspension

4 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

I have seen very little video of DeSanto in high school anyone know of similar behavior at that level or has this just been a total change of character in college.

I can't say I saw anything personally but after the scenes with Tucker and Micic last year I talked with someone who coaches in this area  who has coached against and has seen DeSanto going back to his youth and he said he's been like this since then. We were speaking more about the physical attacks than the verbal outbursts.

7 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Not really....he disfigures all his greatest achievements...what is deranged if not that? 

“Deranged” is an old timey way of saying mentally ill. And I’m sure you’re not in any position to diagnose him with anything. 

This is an absolute joke.  What a punishment - he sits for Maryland?  Pleeeeze!  Some are saying he's caught in the crosshairs and if it were anyone else....

The problem is, this behavior has become consistent.  Anytime tensions are high, we can expect to see more of the same.  I honestly hope he proves me wrong.  It would have been great to see Brands sit him for a real match, then I may have said something about him "stepping up."

Edited by RED

9 hours ago, denger said:

Worst case scenario, he hurts someone

9 hours ago, denger said:

just a matter of time. If it does happen, it will not be a good look for our sport

All examples we have seen so far, have the look of a person that is not in control, that cant discern what going to far is. That to me is a disorder.

54 minutes ago, RED said:

This is an absolute joke.  What a punishment - he sites for Maryland?  Pleeeeze!  Some are saying he's caught in the crosshairs and if it were anyone else....

The problem is, this behavior has become consistent.  Anytime tensions are high, we can expect to see more of the same.  I honestly hope he proves me wrong.  It would have been great to see Brands sit him for a real match, then I may have said something about him "stepping up."

I think the timing of it is the main thing. Trust me, I am the first person to scoff when a FB player gets suspended for the first half of a game, against an FCS opponent. I remember Baker Mayfield's SR year at OU he didn't start against someone but only missed a few drives. If the point was for DeSanto to miss a real match, that wouldn't be for three weeks until IA wrestles OSU. That gives three more opportunities for an incident, and heck you probably have the board saying Brands did it to duck Fix. I think what will potentially affect DeSanto is the pride involved of being suspended, and everyone knowing why he is not out there. IMO that is the goal here, as it can hopefully provide a wake up call.

1 hour ago, RED said:

This is an absolute joke.  What a punishment - he sites for Maryland?  Pleeeeze!  Some are saying he's caught in the crosshairs and if it were anyone else....

He deserves a one match suspension and this is where the schedule is at.  Suspend him for two because Maryland's 33 pounder isn't highly ranked?  Delay the suspension until a top ten ranked opponent?

I don't understand what 'if it were anyone else' means?

oh noooo. not maryland, nooo coach. 

But really, as others have pointed out - I dont think timing has much to do with it other than "this needs to be addressed now"

DeSanto strikes me as someone who loves competing. So, the fact that hes missing any competition likely hurts him, even if it doesnt hurt the team exactly. 

Edited by iGranby

8 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Deranged isn't a diagnosis. If you are gonna try to act smart you have to flex some facts. 

I didn’t say deranged is a diagnosis. Maybe read what I wrote one more time. 

Edited by Katie

25 minutes ago, dman said:

Am I the only one that finds it ironic that Brands suspended someone for THEIR actions???  Hard to hold the athlete accountable when their coach acts like a jacka$$ every match.

Wasn't there a, 'Brands' quote in one of these threads saying it was the AD's decision?

Last Iowa dual of the season is @ Okie State and realistically a prime situation for a DeSanto meltdown, win or lose.   Judging by his actions so far, it's more likely if he pulls off the win.  If such a thing happens, does Brands have the character to do the right thing and suspend DeSanto for the next scheduled competition?   

35 minutes ago, Gasman1 said:

Last Iowa dual of the season is @ Okie State and realistically a prime situation for a DeSanto meltdown, win or lose.   Judging by his actions so far, it's more likely if he pulls off the win.  If such a thing happens, does Brands have the character to do the right thing and suspend DeSanto for the next scheduled competition?   

Yes he does, he will suspend him from the Tuesday competitive practice the following week. ;)

5 minutes ago, teach said:

If he suspended him for a "real match" would people then say they were ducking?

the next "real match" would be the first match of b10 tournament, so nah ... not calling it a duck

On 2/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, Housebuye said:

Double standard. Never would’ve happened if Austin didn’t lose it at NCAAs last year. 

He put himself in the crosshairs because of that, which is on him. I don’t blame Brands, but that was no where near as bad as Gilman vs Missouri. It was about on par with what Berger did, but there is no chances he gets in trouble. 

Chaz Tucker's knee will disagree