WI State Champ out of states for 2 unsportsmanlikes

39 minutes ago, tbert said:

Yep, mom is proud...  when are you moving out of basement?

6 minutes ago, tbert said:

A Rogue ref(who is an athletic director at a prominent local high school) that followed the WIAA communication exactly as stated. This was  sent out to every referee, athletic director and coach before conferences started and was recommended to be covered with every participant. 

No one is disputing who was the better wrestler. 

Another "rogue ref" cost this wrestler's' team the chance for a team title last year by penalizing the same mentioned  wrestler for unsportsmanlike conduct after he won his match and cost the team a point. The team lost by one point.

The call was correct as per WIAA rules.  The kid could of walked away and celebrated with his team.  He chose to stick it to his prior team (you know, the one his behavior cost them a possible state title last year)

Do we really want the legal system getting involved in balls and strikes? 

^^ The life of a 70 year old former HS ref. Can't get over all the jeers he heard after his horrible calls. Now relegated to a life of non stop posting on TheMat and embarrassing himself and his family.... SAD! Oh well, glad the old age home still bought computers for you so you can feel "connected". 

Good to see most of the wrestling community isn't on your side and you are in the minority. (The side of deluded, old, power hungry refs who want to be the center of attention so they abuse their power)

Edited by jsmalls131313

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Did the ref not know the rules? Pretending he isn’t at fault for the DQ is ridiculous. Why did this ref choose not to penalize the other wrestlers for flexing after matches he officiated? 

The judge himself mentioned that it obviously wasn’t taunting. The claims about foul language were only made after the ref had already given his reasoning. It was added after the fact. Don’t you think that is suspicious? 

He did make the correct call for either offense. Twice in a row he picked on a wrestler. Now we should ask, why?

1. He lost his temper and punished a high school sophomore for the sake of his own ego

2. He was bias towards the other wrestler as he used to teach at that school 

we can’t know he was doing this because of his bias, but the bias is extremely likely to exist. The alternative explanation however is #1 above. I’m not sure if that’s better, but sure it’s possible. 

Why do you keep claiming the calls were correct? They obviously weren’t. The ref made up additional excuses after the fact and the state wrestling folks had his back becuase it made their rules look bad. 

Im glad the courts protected this teenager from being abused by a rogue ref. 

Sure, I’m sure the ref knew the penalty for the calls he made.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he made the correct calls.

The wrestler could’ve been penalized for questioning the call (which was clear from his gesturing) even without the presence of profanity.  But it seems likely there was profanity.

And he wasn’t penalized for flexing.  He was penalized for taunting since the flex was allegedly directed at his former team who they were battling with for the team title.  We do know from the video it wasn’t directed at his dad like he claimed.

The teenager was being abused by overly harsh state rules, not the ref.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Sure, I’m sure the ref knew the penalty for the calls he made.  But that doesn’t change the fact that he made the correct calls.

The wrestler could’ve been penalized for questioning the call (which was clear from his gesturing) even without the presence of profanity.  But it seems likely there was profanity.

And he wasn’t penalized for flexing.  He was penalized for taunting since the flex was allegedly directed at his former team who they were battling with for the team title.  We do know from the video it wasn’t directed at his dad like he claimed.

The teenager was being abused by overly harsh state rules, not the ref.

I think "abused" may be a little "harsh", he knew the rules, just didnt keep his emotions in check...  .  The process of two misconducts and you sit out next event rule is the only thing that should be in dispute and I can agree with that. But whether they were harsh rules or not,  all sides knew the rules in advance.  The ref just made the call as stated. 

12 hours ago, tbert said:

I think "abused" may be a little "harsh", he knew the rules, just didnt keep his emotions in check...  .  The process of two misconducts and you sit out next event rule is the only thing that should be in dispute and I can agree with that. But whether they were harsh rules or not,  all sides knew the rules in advance.  The ref just made the call as stated. 

Why didn’t the ref call the other wrestlers who did similar celebrations? Could it be because he was already ticked off by the wrestler questioning his call?

why are you confident the wrestler cursed? Why wouldn’t the ref have brought that up right away? 

54 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Why didn’t the ref call the other wrestlers who did similar celebrations? Could it be because he was already ticked off by the wrestler questioning his call?

why are you confident the wrestler cursed? Why wouldn’t the ref have brought that up right away? 

As noted, how do you know the ref didn't call anyone else for similar celebrations?   If this wrestler did not also get hit with the previous unsportsmanlike, we'd never have heard about it.  And as also noted, he was also hit for a similar celebration last year in another high-profile situation (cost his team the dual) by a different ref, so this ref was not really "rogue."

And again, he was not even called for "celebrating."  He was called for taunting as the celebration was allegedly directed towards his former team which they were battling with for the team title.

Some of the initial articles said "people in the crowd" heard him curse.  I believe I also read the opposing wrestler allegedly confirmed it as well.  The ref didn't "bring it up right away" because he was not commenting at all (and I don't think he ever did, I think his only statements were made during the hearing).

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Not sure where you are coming from on this.  The only person I actually heard curse was the dad who ran out to the edge of the mat.  Doesnt matter if he did or didnt swear.  The coach didnt seem to have a big problem with it.  I did not see every match to determine if he called other taunting or not, maybe he did or didnt.  He called this one.  Maybe because the kid is known for issues in the past. Who knows, it sucks to have a reputation.  He certainly learned some sportsmanship by state.

I didnt see a celebration, I saw a taunt directed at the Burlington fans.

I also saw a kid that was the better wrestler that appears to have some sort of behavioral issues.  Congrats to him as  It appears he has found a team that will tolerate his behavior .....and his parents.

14 hours ago, tbert said:

Sorry I have no side in the game other than not wanting judges involved in determining outcomes to sporting events.  

The judge didn't determine the outcome - that was determined on the mat. The judge determined that the state wrestling org. has administrative rules which are unfair to participants.