WI State Champ out of states for 2 unsportsmanlikes

Story: https://journaltimes.com/sports/high-school/wrestling-video-waterford-s-halter-disqualified-from-individual-competitions/article_5de3b783-9851-5811-b7b1-0b6a0865fd02.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share&fbclid=IwAR2J7m3mHgZEWFNlLh_xKIuHiX-0pi4wzTP87Cwt4SZDC5ubzJnQOZhKHQQ

Edit: video - penalties at the end

Seems like another case of the ref was technically right but maybe not everyone calls it the same way.  Also just poor timing because if the state qualifying tournament isn’t the next competition then no one cares.

My opinion: I don’t really feel bad for the kid, even if he gets dinged for the flex if he doesn’t argue about a meaningless escape call it doesn’t matter.  He also appears to be lying about flexing “to his dad.”  I believe the mom admitted that his dad was actually who the ref in the chair was scolding and the flex was not in that direction. 

Edited by 1032004

Am I missing something in this video? I didn't see any penalties called. Sounds like a poor decision by the kid but an overreaction from the official. Who knows though, I wasnt able to see any of it

Watching the video, I cannot believe he got disqualified.  Now, we don't know what he said to the ref, so it is possible he earned one conduct call.  But, if that flex is called every time like that, there would be no high school wrestling this year.  I mean he flexed for less than one second, and it wasn't even dramatic.

16 minutes ago, Zebra said:

The video cuts off before the end of the match. 

Sorry, I initially only saw the shortened video then saw that there was also a longer one so assumed that had everything plus more of the beginning of the match but apparently not.  OP has been updated

Edited by 1032004

Got to wonder if the Wi O A made a point about it. The kid was hit for 2 USCs separately st the end. But one was before the handshake and one after. That could make at at least the first one a bout point and shouldn't have led to a dq.

Wow now that I've seen it both calls were ridiculous. He was in on a leg at the end that is no escape and that flex was literally. That ref shouldn't be allowed to officiate ever again with crap calls like that. Not that I think it would do any good but why not lawyer up? That call could impact scholarship opportunities down the road.

Just now, Perry said:

Wow now that I've seen it both calls were ridiculous. He was in on a leg at the end that is no escape and that flex was literally. That ref shouldn't be allowed to officiate ever again with crap calls like that. Not that I think it would do any good but why not lawyer up? That call could impact scholarship opportunities down the road.

The article posted in the thread says that a lawyer has been retained on the kid's behalf.

The first UC call - That ref didn't even hesitate to make the call so I suspect there is more to it that "What was that?" 

Taunting - If you read the article he's been penalized for this before so he clearly knows the rules. He just did not know the ramifications of another violation. 

As for the escape, speaking as a zebra, wrestlers do not need to be separated for there to be a "loss of control". When a reversal is "in progress" there will be a point where there is a loss of control but we allow the situation to continue so as to not award an escape then TD for 3 points as opposed to the 2 for a reversal. If time runs out, as in this case, and there was a loss of control we are to award the escape. That is what appears to have happened here. Keep in mind we cannot see the other side in this video and the ref is right there so I will give the benefit of the doubt to the ref. 

Is the suspension by the state harsh? Yep, but refs and coaches have to control the mat area and and the wrestlers. I do not know this state's policy on multiple UC penalties in a single event but 1-event suspensions are not unheard of. If the next event is the qualification event for state then it is bad timing for sure but the state cannot ignore the rules if in fact that is the case.   

5 minutes ago, Perry said:

The way it was explained was the point at the end was for a loss of control.  The bottom wrestler nearly scored a reversal, but the top wrestler recovered to prevent it.  The ref was letting the situation play out before awarding points, so as to avoid an escape and then a quick takedown.

Edit:  Zebra posted a better explanation at the same time.

Edited by jchapman

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Sorry, I initially only saw the shortened video then saw that there was also a longer one so assumed that had everything plus more of the beginning of the match but apparently not.  OP has been updated

I figured that when I read the article. I saw both videos there and the second and longer one did cut off too. The critical moments are in the first video of the article. 

Chapman but that's not how it works. He never got a reversal and the winner clearly reestablished control by getting under the leg and putting his opponent on his butt with no leg in. That is not cause for a loss of control there, though I do understand what you are saying with advancing the position

Just now, Perry said:

I'm most upset about calling that flex as a taunt/over the top celebration. It was 1 second long and perfectly in line with what happens all the time. Looks to me like the ref was looking for a way to boot the kid.

Did you read the article? He has been penalized for this before. It is a rule for a reason and I do not care if other kids do it, you cannot justify ignoring bad behavior by pointing to another's bad behavior. 

Just now, Perry said:

Chapman but that's not how it works. He never got a reversal and the winner clearly reestablished control by getting under the leg and putting his opponent on his butt with no leg in. That is not cause for a loss of control there, though I do understand what you are saying with advancing the position

Yeah, I don't claim to be a wrestling ref, I am just passing along the explanation I was given.  I will defer to Zebra in this thread.

4 minutes ago, jeffrideal said:

Interesting too that the Ref was a former teacher at the school of the opposing wrestler. 

Stuff like this happens all the time. Refs tend to work in the same geographic region then in the post-season the most experienced refs get the call. Refs come from all walks of life. 

The potential conflict of interest is why I stopped reffing when my kid entered high school.