Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Getting out from bottom

My high school coach used to say it was simply about attitude, i.e. if you wanted it enough you could get out from bottom.

This is obviously an oversimplification but why is it that some very good wrestlers struggle so much on bottom.  A standup or sit out seems so natural and easy for many wrestlers but for others they just can't seem to do it.  The Jordan brothers stand out as examples of elite wrestlers who are amazingly good from neutral or top but seem to struggle mightily from bottom.

Any theories why getting out from bottom is so tough for some elite wrestlers?

My high school coaches used to say “find the pressure,” meaning wherever the pressure was coming from the top man had to be matched. I’m sure they still say this. It worked for me in high school, I never got rode out, but I didn’t wrestle in college and I understand it is a completely different level of skill.

So I guess a theory I have as to why elite wrestlers like the Jordans struggle to get off bottom is maybe in college the “pressure” from the top man is coming from different directions or can change so quickly it’s hard to keep up.

1 minute ago, ExBSUfan said:

My high school coaches used to say “find the pressure,” meaning wherever the pressure was coming from the top man had to be matched. I’m sure they still say this. It worked for me in high school, I never got rode out, but I didn’t wrestle in college and I understand it is a completely different level of skill.

So I guess a theory I have as to why elite wrestlers like the Jordans struggle to get off bottom is maybe in college the “pressure” from the top man is coming from different directions or can change so quickly it’s hard to keep up.

Interesting theory.  However the Jordans are elite athletes, as shown by their skills from neutral so one wouldn't think they would struggle to react quickly to their opponent.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Interesting theory.  However the Jordans are elite athletes, as shown by their skills from neutral so one wouldn't think they would struggle to react quickly to their opponent.

Very true. Like I said it’s just a theory. But maybe the Jordan’s main focus was neutral and top wrestling, Bo and Micah are both very good on top, and maybe less focus on bottom wrestling, which is why they struggle from that position.

3 minutes ago, ExBSUfan said:

Very true. Like I said it’s just a theory. But maybe the Jordan’s main focus was neutral and top wrestling, Bo and Micah are both very good on top, and maybe less focus on bottom wrestling, which is why they struggle from that position.

I watched them all growing up at different  tourneys and through HS...There weren't many situations where they were on bottom.  One would think that would have been a focus in college and maybe it was?

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I watched them all growing up at different  tourneys and through HS...There weren't many situations where they were on bottom.  One would think that would have been a focus in college and maybe it was?

Maybe bottom was the focus for them in college, I don’t have the answer as to why the Jordans struggle from bottom, it’s obviously not that they are overmatched physically or don’t “want” it enough. They are both great athletes and are mentally tough. 

15 minutes ago, stp said:

An elite wrestlers ability to escape from bottom is directly related to how many times electric cattle prods are used for motivation.

That one made me laugh. I get the reference but still I laughed.