Jimmy Cinnabon

Cassar vs Stoll

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, VakAttack said:

I doubt that anyone at the weight is stronger than Stoll.  But I'm still picking Cassar.  I'm intrigued to see how he handles geetting caught in those double underhooks, since his go to shot is a double leg.

No way Stoll bends down that low.

I think iowa does everything they can to avoid this match, unless it is at NCAAs. Maybe if they have a shot at the Big10 title, he wrestles this match. 

This is the worst possible matchup for Stoll’s knee. I think he tweaked it against Jensen too, so they will be extra cautious. Without Stoll, Iowa won’t end up on the podium at all. He has to be healthy for NCAAs. 

As it stands, I think Stoll will be the 4 or 5 seed and Cassar the 2 seed. This means Stoll May be able to avoid Cassar at Big10s. 

It also means (if he gets that far) he would be facing Gable in the semis. I think this is a less dangerous match than Cassar in terms of injury for him, but defaulting our at the semis might happen no matter who Stoll is facing. 

Not judging Stoll here -  I know he wants to go. If it is injury related and not seed protection, I get why Brands May ask him to default in the semis

29 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think iowa does everything they can to avoid this match, unless it is at NCAAs. Maybe if they have a shot at the Big10 title, he wrestles this match. 

This is the worst possible matchup for Stoll’s knee. I think he tweaked it against Jensen too, so they will be extra cautious. Without Stoll, Iowa won’t end up on the podium at all. He has to be healthy for NCAAs. 

As it stands, I think Stoll will be the 4 or 5 seed and Cassar the 2 seed. This means Stoll May be able to avoid Cassar at Big10s. 

It also means (if he gets that far) he would be facing Gable in the semis. I think this is a less dangerous match than Cassar in terms of injury for him, but defaulting our at the semis might happen no matter who Stoll is facing. 

Not judging Stoll here -  I know he wants to go. If it is injury related and not seed protection, I get why Brands May ask him to default in the semis

I think they hit.  Stoll will sit against Hemida and Hillger and will be the 7-seed.  

29 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

I think they hit.  Stoll will sit against Hemida and Hillger and will be the 7-seed.  

He might not sit against Hillger. The dual could be on the line. 

I'm not sure what they are doing about RPI...Stoll has 7 matches so far. He may have to compete in every event.

On 2/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, qc8223 said:

It's not like Jensen held him down with a spiral ride. He's a leg rider at a weight class where nobody rides legs. Stoll clearly was uncomfortable in that position on top of the fact he has a bum knee. Great ride by Jensen, but it doesn't demonstrate a lack of strength by Stoll. Agree with your analysis of the cassar match up though the score could be closer due to a bunch of Stoll escapes and late stalling calls a la the Clark/Garrett national final. Could see an 8-5 or 8-6 final with 4 Cassar takedowns and 5 stoll escapes.

So, yeah, it was obvious to me that Stoll did not have a lot of experience against heavyweight leggers.  It was made that much more difficult by the fact that his knee brace was giving the kid better traction too.  Stoll was trying to slide his leg out and it kept getting stopped by the brace.

Cassar is too quick and even too strong for Stoll, imo.  He will hit those legs fast and Stoll will go down.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if they never end up wrestling each other.

Edited by HoundedHawk

4 hours ago, silvermedal said:

Cassar is a beast.  He doesn't wrestle like Snyder but he's doing a pretty good Snyder imitation.  I think he wears Stoll down and beats his -ss in the third period.  

Cassar is doing well at heavyweight, but I do not see the same level of effectiveness handling very big guys as Snyder was capable of. 

I wish him well, but I think ultimately, his relative lack of experience wrestling the big guys who know how to wrestle and use their extra 45lbs will cost him.  

If he’d have moved up to heavyweight last year or the year prior, he’d be a few levels above where he is now. 

He’s a superb wrestler and I wish him well, but I don’t think comparisons between him and Snyder are warranted. 

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Cassar's best shot is that freight train double that he hits about waist level, not the low level ankle stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It’s a sweet shot, for sure, but everyone knows it’s coming. 

Once his opponents prevent that shot, he’s compelled to try low singles and other techniques that will put him under a lot of bulk, where the big guys can “lay the groceries” on him.

I think this is how Cassar will ultimately fare against well-prepped, larger opponents. 

That said, there have been smaller guys than Cassar win Unlimited/Heavyweight titles, so anything is possible!

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Cassar's best shot is that freight train double that he hits about waist level, not the low level ankle stuff.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, don't wanna get stuck under fat guys. I wouldn't even try the blast double, I'd go outside single to keep from being under him. Stoll's so slow and immobile getting to a knee should be easy. Guess which leg I'd attack if I was Cassar?

8 minutes ago, Old Corps said:

It’s a sweet shot, for sure, but everyone knows it’s coming. 

Once his opponents prevent that shot, he’s compelled to try low singles and other techniques that will put him under a lot of bulk, where the big guys can “lay the groceries” on him.

I think this is how Cassar will ultimately fare against well-prepped, larger opponents. 

That said, there have been smaller guys than Cassar win Unlimited/Heavyweight titles, so anything is possible!

Cassar won't be able to beat any legit, topnotch heavies. He's not strong enough to bull them, and he doesn't have the ridiculous neutral skills that Kyle had to compensate for his shortcomings vs the big guys.

I see Cassar finishing 3rd-7th somewhere. He's good enough to make the finals but I bet he gets beat up pretty good at NCAAs vs the big boys.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Cassar won't be able to beat any legit, topnotch heavies. He's not strong enough to bull them, and he doesn't have the ridiculous neutral skills that Kyle had to compensate for his shortcomings vs the big guys.

I see Cassar finishing 3rd-7th somewhere. He's good enough to make the finals but I bet he gets beat up pretty good at NCAAs vs the big boys.

So are you saying there are only 2 legit topnotch heavies?  I assume Steveson and White?  I can see him beating White --- Steveson not so much.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

So are you saying there are only 2 legit topnotch heavies?  I assume Steveson and White?  I can see him beating White --- Steveson not so much.

White, Steveson, and Cassar are the only heavies that have impressed me this year. White didn't impress me with his wrestling skills (he's pretty good, but basic plain vanilla), but his dedication in packing on muscle is admirable. Can you imagine the work that guy put in? He looks like he could bench press a VW bug. Cassar is a better wrestler than White, but I think White is too strong/solid/big for Cassar. If White had lesser skills I think Cassar would whup him.

I'd LIKE to see Cassar make the finals, but wrestling those big guys just wears on you. I think he's talented enough to beat nearly anybody in this weak year for heavyweights, but I think Steveson is out of his reach.  The problem at HWT is that Cassar will be giving up 50 pounds to everybody. Wrestling 5 (or 6, if you go pigtails) guys all 40-60 pounds bigger than yourself is a great way to get beat up pretty badly. Heck, even good sized heavies get hurt all the time. Remember Flores? Great wrestler, athletic,  and an injury stopped him from probably being NCAA champ when he got hurt in the Semifinals and ended up finishing 6th.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

My view is that there are several legit big men who could be bad match-ups for Cassar’s size and style.

There’s now a lot of video out there of Cassar for coaches to use and I’m sure that most of his opponents at the NCAAs will have specific game plans. 

I actually think he had a better chance of winning or placing high if the NCAAs were held in the fall, when he was still relatively unscouted as a heavyweight, than he does in March. 

14 hours ago, Old Corps said:

My view is that there are several legit big men who could be bad match-ups for Cassar’s size and style.

Cassar has already wrestled some big dudes. He has run thru all of them with that double of his, and he has picked several of them up and tossed them back down to the ground. He's perhaps stronger than you may think. Stoll is the biggest guy, but his one leg is totally gimpy. I think Cassar would go right thru that joint.