Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Dan Gable - The Champion

I was in high school when I first heard of Dan Gable. After a bit, I drove up to Ames to watch Iowa State wrestle Oklahoma and to see this amazing athlete. When Gable's match came, I watched him run on the mat and take off his robe and I was shocked - "this is Dan Gable! He looks like nothing." Well, I learned something that day - it's not just muscles. Man, he was a machine. 

Edited by headache

12 minutes ago, headache said:

I was in high school when I first heard of Dan Gable. After a bit, I drove up to Ames to watch Iowa State wrestle Oklahoma and to see this amazing athlete. When Gable's match came, I watched him run on the mat and take off his robe and I was shocked - "this is Dan Gable! He looks like nothing." Well, I learned something that day - it's not just muscles. Man, he was a machine. 

In chemistry he was known as U235 then came LO236.

1 hour ago, randyfoxwell said:

How do we think Gable would have done against Zain? 

Gable was better.  He was World champ the year after he graduated from college and Olympic champ two years later.  

It would be fun to watch though!

1 hour ago, randyfoxwell said:

How do we think Gable would have done against Zain? 

It would be awesome to see Gable's unprecedented mindset brought into today's superior nutrition and technique age.   

It would also be interesting to see what wrestling would be like today without Gable's obsessive mindset & legend that influenced it. 

Edited by HoundedHawk

2 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

@Cooch1, which one powered the Space Modulator? Wait, that was Illudium Q-36

U235 for the Space Modulator and LO236 one grade above U235. I guess I assumed too much in that you would catch on to Larry Owings initials. That'll teach me.

3 hours ago, Frank_Rizzo said:

Gable was better.  He was World champ the year after he graduated from college and Olympic champ two years later.  

It would be fun to watch though!

Gable wasn't as good at folk wrestling as Zain. Zain was unbeaten and unchallenged his last 3 years in college.

Too hard to compare across eras.  The techniques in that video were the same ones I was taught in junior high. We do know that Gable dominated his competition and was the best in the world.

Edited by jchapman