Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Kurt McHenry is at Michigan Now

I love it. The goal is for him to put on size and start working with the team now. He has already made the move out there. 

Sounds like he has a pretty serious lifting regiment he will be sticking to. He was wrestling 113 this season and was undersized, even there. He needs to put on around 20 pounds of muscle to be a full sized 125er. It depends on the person, but I expect that will take 2 years or so, unless he has never lifted. 

I hope this continues to become a trend. Guys like Kurt are super talents. He isn’t going to benefit from wrestling high schoolers anymore  but he simply doesn’t have the size to be competitive yet  

Also - McHenry goes to a challenging high school. Him graduating early suggests there won’t be any grade issues, like some were claiming. 

so is this an example of early enrollment or RTC?

Edit: Just checked the directory and see that he is enrolled.  Pretty cool.  I guess Michigan had the extra scholarship space or maybe he is paying his own way for a semester.  Hard to see it becoming a trend with limited scholarships in wrestling, but it would be a great opportunity for anyone to get 24 extra weeks in a college room.  

I think McHenry will be a stud. 

Edited by LemonPie

How does early enrollment work for a wrestler since it is a two-semester sport? What about redshirt(s), etc? Genuinely curious, because I don't know if anyone around my time did this, or if anyone else has previously?