Sign in to follow this  
skikayaker

Onitsuka Tiger #oldschool

Show of hands : ) How many of "us" (yes me) started our wrestling careers with a pair of Onitsuka Tiger wrestling shoes that later became known as ASICS?

http://www.onitsukatiger.com/en-us

Cael recently tweeted a photo of a "classic" pair of Onitsuka Tiger shoes and it brought back old memories. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/caelsanderson/statu ... 46/photo/1

1970ish .....

And prior to that it was a very plain White cloth pair of wrestling shoes. Almost like a pair of Ked's. Dad was AD for the Seattle School District ... So he saw a lot of salesmen back in the day. Shoes, headgear, singlets ...etc.

The first pair of wrestling shoes I laid out cash for was a pair of Black with the white stripes (leather) Tigers. Cost me $50 back in 1977!

I bought my son a pair of the throwback Tigers this past year, Black with the Yellow stripes. He got a lot of compliments on them. Nobody seems to like his throwback Halo headgear though!

I got black with white stripes Tigers in 1981. They were simply called Tigers back then. Next year, I got Black with yellow stripes to match the school colors (mascot was Golden cubs as HS mascot was Golden Bear. Jack Nicklaus got the nickname from that hs mascot, BTW.). I transferred to DC boarding school and got super cool red Ultra with silver stripes (1984 Olympians wore them) Loved them but lost them. I would think/ imagine that the Soviets stole them!! (They were nuts about these shoes back then). :smile:

Sent from Tapatalk

On 3/13/2013 at 3:37 PM, skikayaker said:

The Halo headgear seemed to work better than the cliff-keen classic headgear, BUT they do not get any points for "cool".

When I was in high school we wore what they  called "Michigan " headgear.

In college I wore the Halo.

I found the Halo to be a lot more comfortable and never had any issues 

with it coming off during practice or matches.

2 hours ago, matts1w said:

In the early 1980s I had a pair of red and white VANS wrestling shoes that fell apart in about three weeks.  My mom was pissed and I went back to the mesh Tigers.  Loved those shoes.

I had a custom pair made in '85' or so. Green, white and silver, school colors. I got a year out of them and gave them away when the Gables, Black with silver and Red with silver came out.(They also made blue) My favorite shoes by far where those Gables.

I tried for years at many Toledo World Cup Tourneys to trade for those Adidas Combat Speeds to no avail.

vans+wrestling+shoes Promotions

Dan Gable Wrestling Shoes products for sale | eBay

70`S / 80`S VINTAGE ADIDAS COMBAT SPEED I WRESTLING SHOES | Flickr

On 3/13/2013 at 3:34 PM, Buckeyebison said:

Wore halo headgear in 1981. Didn't like them as it kept popping out while wrestling. So, I threw it out and got Cliff Keen headgear and never looked back.

Sent from Tapatalk

Nothing says "I wrestled in the 80's" like Halo headgear!

On 3/13/2013 at 1:26 AM, skikayaker said:

Show of hands : ) How many of "us" (yes me) started our wrestling careers with a pair of Onitsuka Tiger wrestling shoes that later became known as ASICS?

http://www.onitsukatiger.com/en-us

Cael recently tweeted a photo of a "classic" pair of Onitsuka Tiger shoes and it brought back old memories. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/caelsanderson/statu ... 46/photo/1

Had white with red stripes and added red shoes strings.  :)

On 3/13/2013 at 3:43 PM, OldGrappler said:

Anyone remember the (not very popular) sasahara headgear? I think I'm remembering that name correctly. It looked a little like a kamikaze pilot helmet, and had strings that tied under your chin. Circa late 60s.

First time I saw the Sasahara cloth head gear it was being worn by Joe DeMeo wrestling for Cornell vs Columbia in 1961. Columbia upset Cornell that day and went on to win the Ivy League title. In any event, I had to have one of those blue Terri cloth fabric kamikaze helmets and that’s what I wore for my early HS wrestling days.

5 hours ago, jchapman said:

Nothing says "I wrestled in the 80's" like Halo headgear!

I much preferred a halo headgear to the Cliff Keen.  Much more lightweight, and I could hear better.  I assumed we don't see it anymore because organizations banned it for some reason.  Has it really gone away just because people prefer the Cliff Keen?

Also, I'm old enough where my high school coach has the original Onituska Tigers, but my first wrestling shoes were the replica vinyl (?) Asics Tigers with a green logo to match my school colors.

Edited by Voice_of_the_Quakers

fadzaev2's above post of the old school FOUR STRIPED all leather Onitsuka Tiger's did brought back my time w/ wrestling in the early to mid 70's when i wrestled in HS!

Of course, I wound up (thru my HS team inventory) with the  white nyloned upper Tigers thru my 4 years. Most of us wished for the leather w/ the 4 stripes.

Mostly worn by those who were the superstars on the team (or had their parents pay the extra bucks to afford them. ;-P )

I, after wearing the Cliff Keen 4 strap headgear in my first 2 yrs in HS, wound up purchasing the HALO headgear. IMHO. they were easier to adjust... PLUS, it was worn earlier on when they 1st came on the market, by one of my favorite local superstar, who eventually went SQ, 2nd, 1st at the NJSIAA championships in the early 70's.)

PLUS, I also ran in cross-country & track in my Onitsuka tiger flats as well.

cheers!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU