jon_osu

OSU wrestling

4 hours ago, LemonPie said:

Someone is feeling a little salty about tonight

in 2020, I might agree.

2020?   Why no Nolf or Bo? Sure they are two big hammers but come on have you heard of guys like Joe Lee, Michael Beard, Aaron Brooks?   I mean did you see what Brooks did at the Schultz?   PSU does NOT rebuild only resupply.   This thing going on at Happy Valley is only going to continue so only discussions should be who is going to win 2nd.   2020? come on!

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Check out this team:

piccinnini

fix

mckenna

jordan

hayes

rogers

joe Smith 

martin

weigel/Moore 

white

thats is 9-10 AAs. PSU May only have 8. 

but it wouldn't be enough, ya gotta beat the bonus

With everyone healthy(that is a BIG if), they are probably the only team other than PSU that can get up over 110.  The reason I have been calling for Iowa to take 2nd, even with Kemerer out, is because they have been the ONLY team I see getting over 100, again, besides PSU. 

tOSU really only has about half a lineup for NCAA purposes.  Heinselman, Campbell/Romero, Smith and Singletary would be hard pressed to score more than 6 combined.  Hayes may very well end up combining for no more than 3.  Pletcher is NOT a bonus point machine and doesn't look like he will end up any higher than 6th.  So give him 8.5.  That would mean tOSU would need 82.5 between McKenna, Jordan, Martin and Moore.  Of those, only Martin is favored to win.  100 is doable, but they will have to wrestle WAAAAY better than last night.

Iowa's chances hinge upon Lee being back to his 2018 NCAA form(or close to it) by NCAA's this season.  25+ from him is key.  DeSanto(as long as he doesn't give up team penalty points ;)) looks to be good for 15 or so.  Murin is in the 3 points or so boat that Hayes is in.  Lugo is a major wildcard.  He could score 2-15.  Iowa taking 2nd may hinge on his performance.  Young is a 3-8 pt guy.  Marinelli is really looking like 18+.  174 is 0-2.  Wilcke's win over Venz raised his bar a bit.  184 is still deep so 2-3 is possible but so is 10-12.  Warner is a conundrum.  He has looked......OFF, but 197 is VERY THIN and he could still end up taking 4-8 for 8-15 type points.  Stoll is the other major wildcard.  I still think he will be extremely hard for anyone, including Steveson or Cassar, to take down.  The Jensen match was an anomaly.  A leg rider that was literally able to anchor his leg on Stoll's knee brace.   Still, the knee is likely to be an issue over 3 straight days and he is more likely going for 5th-6th than wrestling on Saturday night.  Give him 10 for now.  I think they end up with about 102 or so.

Now, with OkState apparently back to full strength and the weight classes apparently settled, they could truly be the front runners for 2nd.  Now, a lot of that hinges on whether Weigel and Rogers can get back to top form and hold it for 3 days in March.  Also, are we going to get the JoJo Smith that wrestled at the Scuffle or the one that just lost 2 in a row?

Still, this type of placement is reasonable and would be enough for them to finish 2nd:

Picc-5th

Fix-1st

Brock-8th

Gfeller-7th

157-DNP

Rogers-7th

Smith-4th

Smith-R12

Weigel-5th

White-3rd

13 hours ago, malcolmJfromPA said:

At what?  Surely you are not talking about wrestling?   You must have thought this discussion was about field hockey or archery.

I clearly meant combining the OSUs for the optimal lineup. Everyone else got it. I mad enough it pretty clear in the quote you responded to. 

Picc is just a junior.

Coach Smith said in his post match interview with Air Force that they were going to be shifting weights, made it sound like one of Rogers, or the two Smith's would miss the post season.

This probably isn't fair but do we expect Weigel to make it to the end of the season 100% without any further injury?  Making yet another weight shift in February seems silly to me, but John Smith does have a slightly better track record than I do. 

12 hours ago, KingK0ng said:

Picc is just a junior.

Coach Smith said in his post match interview with Air Force that they were going to be shifting weights, made it sound like one of Rogers, or the two Smith's would miss the post season.

If Rogers is the one who is out could we see

165 - Joe Smith

174 - Jacob Smith

184 - Geer

197 - Weigal

Is this a possibility?  Can this be done considering weight certs and descent rules?  If they can do this and Joe S can be effective at 165 it would give OSU it's strongest lineup.

13 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

165 - Joe Smith

174 - Jacob Smith

184 - Geer

197 - Weigal

Is this a possibility?  Can this be done considering weight certs and descent rules?  If they can do this and Joe S can be effective at 165 it would give OSU it's strongest lineup.

Joe at 165 seems unlikely given his appearance this year. 

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

165 - Joe Smith

174 - Jacob Smith

184 - Geer

197 - Weigal

I don’t think Rogers is the one who will be out. He is a 2 time AA in his senior year. The likelihood of him AAing is fairly high. He often takes losses during the season but puts it together come tournament time. 

This seems more compelling that’s someone else, even if he loses a wrestleoff.

the same could be said for Joe Smith. Jacobe figures it out too and is in a similar spot. I think Dakota Geer is going to be the odd man out. He is solid, but hasn’t AAd and has some losses recently that suggest is a bubble guy. I’d go with the bubble guys who have gotten it done over the bubble guy that hasn’t. 

Recently Smith indicates Weigel and Geer would wrestle off for 197 and he noted that Weigel was a senior and doesn’t want to sit him. 

Thanks for posting this interview.

It sure sounded to me :

165:  Joe Smith or Chandler Rogers

174: Jacobe Smith

184: Geer

197: Weigel

Coach states that Jacobe & Geer both being "undersized" after watching tape and also mentions that both can comfortably make their way back to their earlier weight class.

Feel bad for Rogers if he is the odd man out.

Lastly, is it a given that Sheets is the 157 over Shomers ?

I will be interesting to see who OSU submits this week for the 2nd Coaches Ranking.

21 minutes ago, skikayaker said:

#Southern #Scuffle #Enough #Said

Although there is NO WAY IN HELL that OkState will beat PSU, I wouldn't use that result to bolster your point.  They actually only lost by 28 with no Weigel or Sheets and it looks like 165-184 will all change now that Weigel is back.

I would just stick to the fact that PSU is better!