russelscout

Will Kerry McCoy ever be on the hot seat?

Here is my annual complaint about Maryland wrestling. I watched Iowa roll through them yesterday and they do not even compete anymore. At what point does the AD feel paying McCoy is just a waste of resources? I would think they could pay a new coach less and do a better job since McCoy is doing nothing with the program currently.

I believe McCoy is in the last year of his contract so we’ll see what the athletic director does.   The Terp performance last night was painful to watch.   Most those guys weren’t even battling.  There’s no energy at all.  Sad times 

Maryland has 1 win in the Big Ten in the last 5 years (over Michigan State).

They are currently 0-6 and being outscored by Big Ten opponents this year 40-205.

Overall 0-9 this year.

Before entrance into the Big Ten, they were performing better in the ACC. 

Edited by dmm53

10 hours ago, DrStrange said:

He is so bad that he is ruining the lives of his athletes.  These men will never be the same again after a 48-0 beat down.  

It's hard to tell but I hope that's sarcasm.  Otherwise you're being just a tad over-dramatic.

Image result for over dramatic soccer player

As head coach of Stanford from 2005 to 2008, McCoy made a strong start with the program, leading the team to a winning record in his first season as a head coach. Under McCoy's guidance, the team finished 2005–06 with an 8–7 record in dual meets and improved by two spots at the Pac-10 Championships. In addition, he helped two wrestlers qualify for the NCAA championships and coached Tanner Gardner, a sophomore, to become the 13th All-American in the history of Stanford.

During McCoy's second year at the helm of the program, the improvement continued. The Cardinals finished with an 8–8 dual meet record, and climbed another rung higher, to sixth place, on the Pac-10 ladder. With the help of McCoy, five wrestlers placed in the Pac-10 and Gardner captured the program's first individual Pac-10 title since 2004. All five qualified for the NCAA Championships, one of the highest totals of NCAA qualifiers in Cardinal history. Gardner and Josh Zupancic earned All-America honors, the first Stanford pair to do so in the same season since 1967, while freshman Zack Giesen was named the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year.

In his inaugural season as the head coach of the Terrapins, McCoy led the team to a school-record-tying 10th place NCAA Tournament finish, earning three All-Americans with Steve Bell (133, 6th), Alex Krom (141, 5th) and Hudson Taylor (197, 3rd). McCoy also led the team to an ACC Tournament championship, crowning ACC Champions Brenden Byrne (125), Steve Bell (133), and Alex Krom (141). In the 2009–10 season, McCoy led the team to a school-record 19 duel meet victories, school-record-breaking career wins and career and season pins for Hudson Taylor, who weighed 197 pounds (89 kg), McCoy's first regular season conference championship, a runner-up finish at ACC conference championship and a 20th-place finish at the NCAA Championship. Athletes whom McCoy has subsequently coached to All-American status include three-time All American Josh Asper (165), Spencer Myers (285), University World Bronze Medalist Mike Letts (174), and NCAA runner-up Jimmy "Headlock" Sheptock (174). During the 2014 season, McCoy had the opportunity to coach against the three-time NCAA champion, and fellow Penn State alumni Ed Ruth in the national championship held in Oklahoma City.

It's been kind of downhill from there.

Are there any challenges at MD like limited scholarships, facilities, funding in general ?  Who are the assistant coaches ? 

Also - Why is Deil at 157 ?

How about this - Hire Helen Maroulis as new head coach

Edited by jstock

18 minutes ago, jstock said:

Are there any challenges at MD like limited scholarships, facilities, funding in general ?  Who are the assistant coaches ? 

Maroulis is possibly the best technician in our country. She is a phenomenal. My issue with hiring her is you are assigning her the position simply because she is a good wrestler. By that school of thought McCoy should have Maryland as one of the top teams, because he was great. Right now, our Women's College system is not on par with with any of the mens divisions. She has no exposure to the administrative roll, recruiting battles, etc. and thats a lot to expect of someone, especially when you are stepping into the premier conference in the sport. I am not saying she couldn't do it, I just don't think she is qualified and would be a huge risk. 

44 minutes ago, jstock said:

How many male wrestlers would sign up for a woman head coach. Be honest. My guess is zero to few.

10 hours ago, dmm53 said:

As head coach of Stanford from 2005 to 2008, McCoy made a strong start with the program, leading the team to a winning record in his first season as a head coach. Under McCoy's guidance, the team finished 2005–06 with an 8–7 record in dual meets and improved by two spots at the Pac-10 Championships. In addition, he helped two wrestlers qualify for the NCAA championships and coached Tanner Gardner, a sophomore, to become the 13th All-American in the history of Stanford.

During McCoy's second year at the helm of the program, the improvement continued. The Cardinals finished with an 8–8 dual meet record, and climbed another rung higher, to sixth place, on the Pac-10 ladder. With the help of McCoy, five wrestlers placed in the Pac-10 and Gardner captured the program's first individual Pac-10 title since 2004. All five qualified for the NCAA Championships, one of the highest totals of NCAA qualifiers in Cardinal history. Gardner and Josh Zupancic earned All-America honors, the first Stanford pair to do so in the same season since 1967, while freshman Zack Giesen was named the Pac-10 Newcomer of the Year.

In his inaugural season as the head coach of the Terrapins, McCoy led the team to a school-record-tying 10th place NCAA Tournament finish, earning three All-Americans with Steve Bell (133, 6th), Alex Krom (141, 5th) and Hudson Taylor (197, 3rd). McCoy also led the team to an ACC Tournament championship, crowning ACC Champions Brenden Byrne (125), Steve Bell (133), and Alex Krom (141). In the 2009–10 season, McCoy led the team to a school-record 19 duel meet victories, school-record-breaking career wins and career and season pins for Hudson Taylor, who weighed 197 pounds (89 kg), McCoy's first regular season conference championship, a runner-up finish at ACC conference championship and a 20th-place finish at the NCAA Championship. Athletes whom McCoy has subsequently coached to All-American status include three-time All American Josh Asper (165), Spencer Myers (285), University World Bronze Medalist Mike Letts (174), and NCAA runner-up Jimmy "Headlock" Sheptock (174). During the 2014 season, McCoy had the opportunity to coach against the three-time NCAA champion, and fellow Penn State alumni Ed Ruth in the national championship held in Oklahoma City.

It's been kind of downhill from there.

So hes good with other people's teams but once its his recruits and his system, they suck?  got it.  

10 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

It's hard to tell but I hope that's sarcasm.  Otherwise you're being just a tad over-dramatic.

Image result for over dramatic soccer player

Not kidding at all.  These guys are D1 college wrestlers - the top .5% of all high school wrestlers.  Their egos and self image are built on the foundation of wrestling and when you go from winner to epic loser overnight, it will break most of them. He is in the process of breaking a team of 40 guys because he in inept.

11 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Not kidding at all.  These guys are D1 college wrestlers - the top .5% of all high school wrestlers.  Their egos and self image are built on the foundation of wrestling and when you go from winner to epic loser overnight, it will break most of them. He is in the process of breaking a team of 40 guys because he in inept.

I agree. If we truly believe that sports should be a part of the educational system because you are learning life skills, having a coach who is dismissive about winning and self betterment, is harmful to the kids.

Edited by russelscout

They need someone like Popolizio. Obviously I would be shocked if he left NC State, and dont think it would be entertained but you get my point. 

Need a proven coach who can nearly overhaul an entire program. Its almost too bad that Beasley got in at GMU. He'd be perfect imo. Great recruiter who can get things moving with a vision for wrestlers to look to. 

7 minutes ago, iGranby said:

They need someone like Popolizio. Obviously I would be shocked if he left NC State, and dont think it would be entertained but you get my point. 

Need a proven coach who can nearly overhaul an entire program. Its almost too bad that Beasley got in at GMU. He'd be perfect imo. Great recruiter who can get things moving with a vision for wrestlers to look to. 

Its the Big 10.  There have to be a ton of coaches who would jump at the chance to build a program in that conference. 

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Maroulis is possibly the best technician in our country. She is a phenomenal. My issue with hiring her is you are assigning her the position simply because she is a good wrestler. By that school of thought McCoy should have Maryland as one of the top teams, because he was great. Right now, our Women's College system is not on par with with any of the mens divisions. She has no exposure to the administrative roll, recruiting battles, etc. and thats a lot to expect of someone, especially when you are stepping into the premier conference in the sport. I am not saying she couldn't do it, I just don't think she is qualified and would be a huge risk. 

best technician in our country?  crack is bad for you.  set the pipe down.  thats like saying cheryl miller understands the NBA better than anyone in the US because she was the best in the WNBA...

I do agree with your bigger point though - how many of the best basketball, baseball and football players become coaches?  Not many.  Most of them were average, at best.  When will wrestling stop our stupid love affair with wrestling accolades as the criteria for becoming a D1 coach?