russelscout

Will Kerry McCoy ever be on the hot seat?

3 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

best technician in our country?  crack is bad for you.  set the pipe down.  thats like saying cheryl miller understands the NBA better than anyone in the US because she was the best in the WNBA...

I do agree with your bigger point though - how many of the best basketball, baseball and football players become coaches?  Not many.  Most of them were average, at best.  When will wrestling stop our stupid love affair with wrestling accolades as the criteria for becoming a D1 coach?  

Isn't the reason that most NCAA coaches were top wrestlers is that assistants are expected to be workout partners; no one wants to hire a workout partner who is not a top wrestler; and no one becomes a head coach without serving as an assistant first.

And once the pattern is established recruits expect their coaches to have been an AA if not more.

5 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

best technician in our country?  crack is bad for you.  set the pipe down.  thats like saying cheryl miller understands the NBA better than anyone in the US because she was the best in the WNBA...

I do agree with your bigger point though - how many of the best basketball, baseball and football players become coaches?  Not many.  Most of them were average, at best.  When will wrestling stop our stupid love affair with wrestling accolades as the criteria for becoming a D1 coach?  

I never said that Helen understands the sport better than anyone else. Other than maybe Taylor, who would be a wrestler that hits the variety of attacks that Helen does? She is impressive, even when you factor in quality of competition. Don't misunderstand me though. I would much rather have a Burroughs, Dake, Snyder, the entire mens freestyle team as a coach infront of her. Plus, she has little experience in folk.

4 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

They should make an offer to Snyder that is too good to to refuse. Build a state of the art OTC for him if that is what it takes. 

Oh wait, this is wrestling so that’s never going to happen 

Who is "They" you're talking about here?

46 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Isn't the reason that most NCAA coaches were top wrestlers is that assistants are expected to be workout partners; no one wants to hire a workout partner who is not a top wrestler; and no one becomes a head coach without serving as an assistant first.

And once the pattern is established recruits expect their coaches to have been an AA if not more.

There is no room for logic on an internet forum.  But yea, you are right.  Now we have to break that mold.

19 minutes ago, RoadrunnerPride said:

They should make an offer to Snyder that is too good to to refuse. Build a state of the art OTC for him if that is what it takes. 

Oh wait, this is wrestling so that’s never going to happen 

In Ben Askren's recent Rudis interview with Snyder he makes it clear he's not interested in doing what would be necessary to become a D1 head coach (recruiting, etc.). 

UMD's bigger problem seems to be the upheaval & disarray that's going on within their athletic administration....in the wake of former AD Kevin Anderson's departure and the recent football scandal (Jordan McNair death/coach DJ Durkin ouster).  They made a huge mistake letting Debbie Yow go...just look what she and Pop have done with the Wolfpack program down in Raleigh. 

MSU, IU, situation all over again. Non revenue sports, in the majority of schools, get the bottom shelf treatment. If the coach runs a scandal free program he will remain. unless there is a MAJOR campaign for his removal.  And there aren’t enough hard core wrestling fans to create a campaign in most schools. 

50 minutes ago, gromit said:

In Ben Askren's recent Rudis interview with Snyder he makes it clear he's not interested in doing what would be necessary to become a D1 head coach (recruiting, etc.). 

UMD's bigger problem seems to be the upheaval & disarray that's going on within their athletic administration....in the wake of former AD Kevin Anderson's departure and the recent football scandal (Jordan McNair death/coach DJ Durkin ouster).  They made a huge mistake letting Debbie Yow go...just look what she and Pop have done with the Wolfpack program down in Raleigh. 

Well, I was thinking everyone has a price. That being said, it surely is wishful thinking on my part.

cant argue any of the facts there so I guess it will be quite some time before I will be going to any of their matches. 

39 minutes ago, HokieHWT said:

This is interesting. Surrounded is key here but The roster is almost full of MD kids who just aren’t very good.

UMD only has two kids from MD (Bannister & Bertoni) in the starting lineup. The rest are out of NJ (Cray, Ugalde, Cappelllo),  NY (Anderson, Spadafora, Jasenski, Hemida) and PA (Diehl)

When they were performing much better under Santoro the in-state ratio was similar but they pulled much more heavily from PA...

Edited by gromit

25 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Think roster is less than 50% Maryland kids

Can't win like that. After a bad dual one time, Mourlam yelled at us telling us he would never "recruit any Virginia d**kslingers again".

3 hours ago, iGranby said:

Who is the top HS coach in the State of MD? 

Pete Welch of McDonogh- his program has attained national rankings multiple times over the last 15 years; I believe one of his squads cracked the top-20 nationally about 10-11 years ago.  He recruits out of state regularly- Myles Martin wrestled all 4 years at McDonogh.  Welch was an AA for UNC. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

Pete Welch of McDonogh- his program has attained national rankings multiple times over the last 15 years; I believe one of his squads cracked the top-20 nationally about 10-11 years ago.  He recruits out of state regularly- Myles Martin wrestled all 4 years at McDonogh.  Welch was an AA for UNC. 

Would he be a solid candidate for the job if it were to open up?

IMO...If he is already able to pull guys into a his program, and he has a good eye for the landscape of HS wrestling in MD then why not give him a shot if he wants it? Assuming he has all of the organizational/administrative qualities needed....

Have that, then pull in some of his former wrestlers as assistants or RTC athletes (I doubt he'd do it, but what if Myles would consider coming back closer to home?). Shoot, get Helen in there. She could be the damn Head RTC coach! Then get some other young, hungry wrestlers with recognizable names as assistants and you'd give the program a shot at least. 

Idk. Like the FRL guys say, the program makes me sad and I'd like to see it do well. No Big Ten team should be that bad. 

Edited by iGranby

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

Would he be a solid candidate for the job if it were to open up?

No idea.  I Imagine he would at least sit down and talk- as per my understanding, the UMD job pays nicely (I remember reading a while back that McCoy was one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the sport).  But I don't know the guy personally. 

Helen would be an interesting choice- not as a head coach, IMHO, but as an assist.  As someone said earlier on this thread, she hasn't been near folkstyle in over a decade, she has little coaching experience, and, well... she is a woman.  Granted, it would give the sport and the program amazing exposure- I imagine such a signing may make national news.  But living and working under a spotlight while trying to rebuild a program from the ground up would mark a difficult chore for a veteran head coach.  Helen is poised and intelligent, and she has the credentials from the competitors side.  But considering her for the head coach job is just a bridge too far.  Assistant?  Sure, that would be a win/win, and would inject some life and energy into a program in dire need of it.