Jump to content
russelscout

Will Kerry McCoy ever be on the hot seat?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

No idea.  I Imagine he would at least sit down and talk- as per my understanding, the UMD job pays nicely (I remember reading a while back that McCoy was one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the sport).  But I don't know the guy personally. 

Helen would be an interesting choice- not as a head coach, IMHO, but as an assist.  As someone said earlier on this thread, she hasn't been near folkstyle in over a decade, she has little coaching experience, and, well... she is a woman.  Granted, it would give the sport and the program amazing exposure- I imagine such a signing may make national news.  But living and working under a spotlight while trying to rebuild a program from the ground up would mark a difficult chore for a veteran head coach.  Helen is poised and intelligent, and she has the credentials from the competitors side.  But considering her for the head coach job is just a bridge too far.  Assistant?  Sure, that would be a win/win, and would inject some life and energy into a program in dire need of it.

I agree. My suggestion of Helen though was in the role of the head RTC coach. Sorry, should’ve been more clear there, ha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys have to be completely out of your mind!  There is no shot a current high school coach is stepping into this situation.   Personally, I know from a good source of 2 current head coaches and 5 or more head assistants are going to be applying for this job when it opens.    

The issue is going to be raising money from alumni who are disgusted of a 17-56 record over the past 4 years + the 0 - 14 this year to come.  There has been very limited interaction about what changes need to be made.

Think about this about development of the team.

  • 125 is a 2X NJ Champ
  • 133 is a 3X NY State Champ

Salary from 2017 - it is more now.

Kerry McCoy - (WRESTLING) - $146,000

 Assistant $55,000 
 Assistant $28,000

Total Wrestling Coach's Salaries: $229,000 / Total Assistant Salaries: $83,000 / Avg. Assistant Salaries: $41,500 

9.9 Scholarships, Top 50 Education, 7 miles from DC
¯

 

 

 

 

Edited by Frank Castle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Michigan State situation, nothing happened until Minkel decided to step down. In the Indiana situation , nothing happened until Goldman decided top step down, In this situation nothing is going to happen until McCoy decides to  steps down. I honestly think that, in the former two cases, MSU and IU, the only reason they both quit is because of all these message board posts, here and others, shamed them into do what we all knew was the best for each school , and best for wrestling in general. So keep up the pressure here and fight for the sport. None of these coaches are bad guys. But they seem not to be able to know when they are effectively hurting the program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frank Castle said:

You guys have to be completely out of your mind!  There is no shot a current high school coach is stepping into this situation.   Personally, I know from a good source of 2 current head coaches and 5 or more head assistants are going to be applying for this job when it opens.    

The issue is going to be raising money from alumni who are disgusted of a 17-56 record over the past 4 years + the 0 - 14 this year to come.  There has been very limited interaction about what changes need to be made.

Think about this about development of the team.

  • 125 is a 2X NJ Champ
  • 133 is a 3X NY State Champ

Salary from 2017 - it is more now.

Kerry McCoy - (WRESTLING) - $146,000

 Assistant $55,000 
 Assistant $28,000

Total Wrestling Coach's Salaries: $229,000 / Total Assistant Salaries: $83,000 / Avg. Assistant Salaries: $41,500 

9.9 Scholarships, Top 50 Education, 7 miles from DC
¯

 

 

 

 

Easy there punisher. Just speculation lol. 

Do I think it's likely? No. Is it something I had fun typing out and thinking about? Yeah. 

For sure, I would assume someone with D1 experience would land the job. I dont think anyone would realistically assume otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, southend said:

In the Michigan State situation, nothing happened until Minkel decided to step down. In the Indiana situation , nothing happened until Goldman decided top step down, In this situation nothing is going to happen until McCoy decides to  steps down. I honestly think that, in the former two cases, MSU and IU, the only reason they both quit is because of all these message board posts, here and others, shamed them into do what we all knew was the best for each school , and best for wrestling in general. So keep up the pressure here and fight for the sport. None of these coaches are bad guys. But they seem not to be able to know when they are effectively hurting the program.

You say they aren't bad guys, but I am not so sure. They have to be aware that they suck. They are too arrogant to change their ways, and they keep selling the lie to high school athletes, knowing that they will ultimately ruin their careers. Seems pretty rotten to me. 

 

You are right about 1 thing - they read these boards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of manipulation that goes on.I have also noticed it's all about what the people on the outside think of you.Its ok to treat your guys like crap as long as the perception on the outside is that your a great guy.Coaches are supposed to mentor young men and turn them into men and teach them valuable lessons that are more important then wins and losses.Its about trust your athletes have to trust you once you lose that it's over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DrStrange said:

You say they aren't bad guys, but I am not so sure. They have to be aware that they suck. They are too arrogant to change their ways, and they keep selling the lie to high school athletes, knowing that they will ultimately ruin their careers. Seems pretty rotten to me. 

 

You are right about 1 thing - they read these boards. 

This.  Somehow, McCoy still lands solid recruits.  Now he's obviously not going to out-recruit Cael or Brands or Smith.  But he's landed a decent number of top-25 recruiting classes over the last decade.  This year, he's already inked up Byrd (#2 @ 120), North (#11 @ 145), Parr (#14 @ 182), Makosy (#17 @ 195), and Pryor (#16 @ 185).  That's... a pretty decent haul that most teams outside the elites would be happy with.  If you take a look at MD's roster, you see the same: Diehl, Bannister, Ugalde, Cray, Hemida, Whisler, and Cochran were all ranked in the top-10 of their weight classes (or close to it) coming out of high school.  However, with 1 or 2 notable exceptions... these guys all seemed to actually get worse at wrestling under McCoy's tutelage.  It's almost amazing when you think about it- the idea that a coach is so bad, his wrestlers somehow regress.  I'm not even sure how one does this, and I'm kind of in awe of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, DrStrange said:

Its the Big 10.  There have to be a ton of coaches who would jump at the chance to build a program in that conference. 

Although in one sense I do agree with this statement, many of the qualified applicants also recognize that if the flop here (which would be a HUGE probability) they are stained for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mr. Peepers said:

 However, with 1 or 2 notable exceptions... these guys all seemed to actually get worse at wrestling under McCoy's tutelage.  It's almost amazing when you think about it- the idea that a coach is so bad, his wrestlers somehow regress.  I'm not even sure how one does this, and I'm kind of in awe of it. 

This does not make them bad guys.This is why AD's dont get rid of them. Indiana University, under Duane Goldman had this track record. 

Edited by southend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on my amateur data collection, Maryland has won a total of 12 matches in 7 Big 10 duals so far this season. They've only won more than 2 matches in 2 of the Big 10 duals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LHN94 said:

Based on my amateur data collection, Maryland has won a total of 12 matches in 7 Big 10 duals so far this season. They've only won more than 2 matches in 2 of the Big 10 duals. 

OLD Indiana and OLD Michigan St. all over again. Code blue, they need resuscitated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 1 coach who wants this job he's been talking about getting it for years.If it were me I wouldn't hire him but he seems to think he's got a in so I  guess time will tell.My opinion is a few decent names will apply for this job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justafan said:

I know 1 coach who wants this job he's been talking about getting it for years.If it were me I wouldn't hire him but he seems to think he's got a in so I  guess time will tell.My opinion is a few decent names will apply for this job.

In this situation change is good, for change sake, no matter who gets in there. Minkel, Goldman. Their replacements may not have been the perfect choices but it was a new breath of fresh air for dead end programs. Both programs seem to be taking it up a notch or two. Maryland needs to pull the trigger and start fresh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, LHN94 said:

Based on my amateur data collection, Maryland has won a total of 12 matches in 7 Big 10 duals so far this season. They've only won more than 2 matches in 2 of the Big 10 duals. 

he should just quit already
 

Edited by DrStrange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update. Following last night's dual with UM, MD is now 13 for 80 in Big 10 duals. 

As previously mentioned, Michigan sent out a back up to save MD from another shut out. I'd love to witness the pre dual pep talk in the MD locker room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LHN94 said:

Update. Following last night's dual with UM, MD is now 13 for 80 in Big 10 duals. 

As previously mentioned, Michigan sent out a back up to save MD from another shut out. I'd love to witness the pre dual pep talk in the MD locker room. 

If Mccoy has any ethics, and if cares about the great sport of wrestling, he will quit at the end of the season. If not, he is just another sad hanger on to a D1 job at a program that could be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maryland is officially on a win streak (sort of . . . .technically not since 1 is not a streak).  Still . . .

125: Brandon Cray (Maryland) over Spencer Reed (George Mason) (TF 16-0 4:32)

133: Orion Anderson (Maryland) over Talha Farooq (George Mason) (TF 21-6 6:52)

141: Danny Bertoni (Maryland) over Julio Alegria (George Mason) (MD 11-1)

149: Alfred Bannister (Maryland) over Tejon Anthony (George Mason) (SV-1 5-3)

157: Kolby Ho (George Mason) over Ryan Diehl (Maryland) (Dec 6-3)

165: Colston DiBlasi (George Mason) over Phillip Spadafora (Maryland) (MD 9-0)

174: Josh Ugalde (Maryland) over Neil Schuster (George Mason) (Dec 4-2)

184: Kyle Jasenski (Maryland) over Phillip Stolfi (George Mason) (Dec 6-4)

197: Eli Spencer (George Mason) over Niko Cappello (Maryland) (TF 15-0 7:00)

285: Youssif Hemida (Maryland) over Matt Voss (George Mason) (SV-1 3-1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to see McCoy's contract extended a few more years. He's still landing solid recruiting classes and the Terrapins are wrestling better. All this talk of George Mason being an up and coming program, and Maryland dominated them. I think if Hemida gets on the podium and a few others step up, Maryland could be a top-25 team in Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 2:02 PM, MagnetBack said:

I would like to see McCoy's contract extended a few more years. He's still landing solid recruiting classes and the Terrapins are wrestling better. All this talk of George Mason being an up and coming program, and Maryland dominated them. I think if Hemida gets on the podium and a few others step up, Maryland could be a top-25 team in Pittsburgh.

Hi Kerry, thanks for letting us know you are here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...