Broomstick

Best at 157 in College

I definitely only intended to talk about wrestlers since 1999 and only each's peak year at 157.  It's unfair to Nolf to include in the comparisons with Dake and Burroughs their respective accomplishments post-157 but, even so, it would be hard to pick against either because Burroughs' championship year at 157 was, to me, the start of his other worldly run of 5 or 6 years (with an injury break or two) and the only time it makes any sense to pick against Dake is in fantasy matches (such as against Taylor).

On 2/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, BigTimeFan said:

Most if people if they invented a time machine would go back and make some money or prevent WWII of something, but not us. We’d arrange fantasy matches. 

Most people dont realize that wrestling is the greatest sport in the universe either.

9 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I think Imar would trade his match outcomes against Cenzo in a heart beat, dont you?

I was simply adding context.  It's not like he was dominated by PSU wrestlers like tbum's post infers.

Does your question really need to be answered?

Just now, MSU158 said:

I was simply adding context.  It's not like he was dominated by PSU wrestlers like tbum's post infers.

Does your question really need to be answered?

I don't think anything was being inferred. Its a simple fact that all of Imar's losses are against PSU wrestlers.

As for answering the question, that's up to you.

17 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

I don't think anything was being inferred. Its a simple fact that all of Imar's losses are against PSU wrestlers.

As for answering the question, that's up to you.

Thanks for all of your helpful insight in this matter.  Appreciate it.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:54 AM, KTG119 said:

The bracket that Burroughs won at 157 was pretty top heavy as well. Poeta, Gillespie, Leen made up rest of top 4.

Poor JP O’Connor never gets any love. I also think chase Pami was in that bracket. Seems pretty deep to me.

Edited by Sublime607

27 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Dustin Schlatter was trading wins with Burroughs at 157 before blowing out the knee again. I’d put him up there.

In 2009, the season JB won at 157, Schlatter redshirted. Nevertheless, they wrestled each other at the UNO finals and JB won that match. I am not aware of them wrestling any other time that season.

JB beat multiple NCAA champs that season, plus Poeta. 

Edited by Katie

1 minute ago, Katie said:

The year JB won at 157, Schlatter redshirted. Nevertheless, they wrestled each other one time that year (that I know of) and JB won that match. 

JB beat multiple NCAA champs that year, plus Poeta. 

I think it was freestyle in the offseason leading up?  Anyway, they had multiple matches over the years.  I remember the first college match when sophomore Schlatter experienced the freight train double at home in Minnesota.  Schlatter held on, but Burroughs had made a statement.

3 minutes ago, Katie said:

In 2009, the season JB won at 157, Schlatter redshirted. Nevertheless, they wrestled each other at the UNO finals and JB won that match. I am not aware of them wrestling any other time that season.

JB beat multiple NCAA champs that season, plus Poeta. 

It gets lost in all the results, but Poeta was tough that year. I always remember his great match with Gillespie at Vegas. Going into the finals there were 3 matches everyone was excited about Caldwell vs Metcalf(although Metcalf was heavily favored after the All-Star), Varner vs Brester(Brester just won the Big 12's) and Poeta vs Burroughs was considered a toss up. Then Burroughs went out and really dominated the match. 

10 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I think it was freestyle in the offseason leading up?  Anyway, they had multiple matches over the years.  I remember the first college match when sophomore Schlatter experienced the freight train double at home in Minnesota.  Schlatter held on, but Burroughs had made a statement.

The year JB was at 157, I believe they met in a folkstyle match in late November.  And like I said, JB won that match. 

Edited by Katie

Just now, russelscout said:

It gets lost in all the results, but Poeta was tough that year. I always remember his great match with Gillespie at Vegas. Going into the finals there were 3 matches everyone was excited about Caldwell vs Metcalf(although Metcalf was heavily favored after the All-Star), Varner vs Brester(Brester just won the Big 12's) and Poeta vs Burroughs was considered a toss up. Then Burroughs went out and really dominated the match. 

Yup. Poeta was a beast of a wrestler. 

40 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Dominated?  He got a takedown with 3 secs left in the 1st and again with 3 seconds left in the 3rd after a desperation shot by Poeta.  It was about as close of a match as 5-1 could ever be....

16 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Dominated?  He got a takedown with 3 secs left in the 1st and again with 3 seconds left in the 3rd after a desperation shot by Poeta.  It was about as close of a match as 5-1 could ever be....

Poeta never even got close to scoring. There was never a moment where he was able to put JB in danger at all. I consider this a pretty lopsided match. Maybe handled, controlled or something is more appropriate than dominant. However, there was one wrestler who was clearly better IMO, and if they wrestled 10 times, JB wins all 10. 

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

Dustin Schlatter was trading wins with Burroughs at 157 before blowing out the knee again. I’d put him up there.

Dustin Schlatter getting inserted into this topic about the best 157 pounder in college since 1999 is certainly not something I expected.  I'm a huge fan of his though.

5 minutes ago, Broomstick said:

Dustin Schlatter getting inserted into this topic about the best 157 pounder in college since 1999 is certainly not something I expected.  I'm a huge fan of his though.

For me, Schlatter's name coming up in a thread about the 157 pound class is surprising since he only actually competed for Minnesota at 149 and at 165.

But Schlatter's redshirt season (when he faced Burroughs at 157) was actually impressive as it was the year he won the World Team Trials.

Edited by Katie

6 hours ago, Sublime607 said:

Poor JP O’Connor never gets any love. I also think chase Pami was in that bracket. Seems pretty deep to me.

JP was very good but as my post indicated I was talking top of the bracket. Wasn’t trying to list every hammer. That particular year JP dnp 

18 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

JP was very good but as my post indicated I was talking top of the bracket. Wasn’t trying to list every hammer. That particular year JP dnp 

That bracket was loaded. It included Burroughs, Cyler Sanderson, Hall, O'Connor, Welch, Gillespie, Leen, Pami, Chandler, Safratowich, and Poeta, among others.

Edited by Katie