Broomstick

Best at 157 in College

I would have like to see what would have happened had IMar stayed at 157. I think he lost the ability to be a bull at 165 and that hurt him style-wise. At 157 he seemed like the most physical guy.

33 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

JP was very good but as my post indicated I was talking top of the bracket. Wasn’t trying to list every hammer. That particular year JP dnp 

I know I included JP because he won the bracket the next year so by my count that’s 5 NCAA titles between 4 guys. Plus I have a soft spot for that bracket as I have felt the rath of two of those NCAA champs.

Edited by Sublime607

On 2/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, MSU158 said:

Bertin was exceptionally physical, but did have problems with funk(see Tirapelle).  Plus, he wrestled during a stretch when 157 was the deepest I can remember.  Becker, Gentry, Percival, Tirapelle, Anderson, Maynard, Hendricks(his 1st year), both Paulsons, Roller, Zinck, Snyder, Owen, Nakamura and others.  He took some losses, but could beat any of the guys you listed, including Nolf.

I think Nolf would've majored Bertin in both their primes (which is now for Nolf).

18 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

I would have like to see what would have happened had IMar stayed at 157. I think he lost the ability to be a bull at 165 and that hurt him style-wise. At 157 he seemed like the most physical guy.

IMAR might've been a 4X if he didn't move to 165. Gotta wonder how he'd have matched against Nolf in Nolf's Soph year.

Edited by TobusRex

12 hours ago, TobusRex said:

I think Nolf would've majored Bertin in both their primes (which is now for Nolf).

Majored?  Man, I just don’t see it. Bertin was as physical as it gets for that weight and physicality has really been the ONLY thing that has ever slowed down Nolf. Add in that Bertin actually had a gas tank to go 7 minutes with Nolf and I think it would be extremely competitive. I would still pick Nolf, but you would NOT see Nolf pull away in the 3rd to get that major like he often does against his higher end competition. 

7 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Majored?  Man, I just don’t see it. Bertin was as physical as it gets for that weight and physicality has really been the ONLY thing that has ever slowed down Nolf. Add in that Bertin actually had a gas tank to go 7 minutes with Nolf and I think it would be extremely competitive. I would still pick Nolf, but you would NOT see Nolf pull away in the 3rd to get that major like he often does against his higher end competition. 

You may be right. I was never a big fan of Bertin and I"m a huge Nolf fan, so I'm probably a bit biased.

Nolf was stronger in his 2nd year than he was in his first, and his 2 losses to I Mar that year were as close as a loss can possibly be. Future matches between the two could easily have gone Nolf's way. No way to really know. 

3 hours ago, TobusRex said:

You may be right. I was never a big fan of Bertin and I"m a huge Nolf fan, so I'm probably a bit biased.

Trust me, I like Nolf a TON.  I have argued that he deserved the Hodge over Retherford and is probably the best folkstyle wrestler to ever don the PSU singlet.  But, styles make matchups and Bertin had the build, strength and stamina to slow down Nolf and go with him for the duration.  Now, I don't think he could generate enough offense to beat him more than 1 or 2 out of 10, but he would be in the match from beginning to end.