Ching

Bey with a right hook

If it wasn't apparent early, by the end of the first period it was clear these two weren't going to be pen pals by the end of the bout.  Both were chippy, lots of head banging and high elbows; I think the first head butts by Bey were inadvertent because his opponent was so tall--kind of hard not get under his chin with the old cranium.  But Bey totally lost his composure--not a good look for him or the US.  Russia seems to be developing a lot of these tall, rangy greco guys, like Surkov.  Very hard to find leverage against and unusually strong.  

2 hours ago, Coach_J said:

If it wasn't apparent early, by the end of the first period it was clear these two weren't going to be pen pals by the end of the bout.  Both were chippy, lots of head banging and high elbows; I think the first head butts by Bey were inadvertent because his opponent was so tall--kind of hard not get under his chin with the old cranium.  But Bey totally lost his composure--not a good look for him or the US.  Russia seems to be developing a lot of these tall, rangy greco guys, like Surkov.  Very hard to find leverage against and unusually strong.  

agree! my ex teamate Alen Mirzoyan fight Surkov one time, he hit head to Surkov's chin. It is too hard wrestle against tall opponents. 

5 minutes ago, DrStrange said:

Bey needs to get this under control or he will turn into a bad boy in the USA Wrestling universe and will have a hard time getting calls and making teams in the future.  

Completely agree.  These kind of antics carry a stink that won't play well in future meets overseas.

It wasn't just elbows going on. They were both shoulder popping. The other guy popped him in the nose right before KB hit back. I'm not excusing what KB did just saying I see why he reacted that way. He does need to keep it under control.

......and then in semis Iunusov (RUS) loses to the Starcevic (CRO) who won the tournament in front of his home crowd. Iunusov then lost to Kim (KOR) 10-0 for the bronze and that match got a little chippy too. Kim's head also knocked into Iunusov's chin a few times. What I liked what Kim did was he made sure he was the aggressor in the beginning and Iusunov was put down first in par terre then Kim capitalized the opportunity with 3 consecutive high guts to go up 7-0, just like that.

Might be too much data to breakdown or unavailable data, but would love to see the percentages of countries (or individual wrestlers) that are successful at turning and scoring once they're on top in par terre. Almost like a batting average in baseball. (Maybe we should put Nomad or Andrew on this, lol.) But seriously, it sure seems like Russia and some others have a much higher turn and score percentage from par terre than the Americans. 

......back to Bey, yeah too bad he lost his cool. Would think he'd be somewhat used to all that "banging" that goes on in Greco, especially on the senior level. These guys are monsters.

Edited by 2td3nf

What was the purpose of pulling the straps down? I'm not judging him, just curious if there was some technical element to his fighting that would require the straps down.
Bravado.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ching said:

What was the purpose of pulling the straps down? I'm not judging him, just curious if there was some technical element to his fighting that would require the straps down.

He didn't go as far as these guys (below) or the Mongolian coaches in the Olympics.   But it might have been more entertaining if he had done so.

40 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Rumors about Bey’s antics have been swirling for awhile and now this?

come on man. We all want you to succeed. It is hard to root for you if you throw punches in a wrestling match though. Get it together 

Agree. He was being shutdown by a guy whose style he couldn't figure out.  Not his opponent's fault.  Did the Russian play a little rough?  Sure, but that wasn't the main issue.  Get better.  Learn and train to confront that style/body type again.  The whole "straps down hold me back" drama was embarrassing.