Gantry

NW vs Mich - Rivera wrestling Micic

For some reason they are starting at heavyweight, so two of the three best matches out of the gate.  Why do coaches keep doing this?  Why end this dual with 184 and 197?   If nothing else start normally at 125 and save a great HWT matchup for the end. 

Great match between Jennings and Mason, Parris in on the legs all day but Conan using his size and strength to counter.  Looks like Jennings will win 7-5 but are reviewing the last second TD attempt by Parris. 

Edited by Gantry

Rivera not wrestling is even more reason to start this dual at 125, I bet a lot of people are going to do what I'll do and turn it off after 157.  Otherwise I'd keep it on in anticipation of Parris vs Jennings. 

Pin Mattin

47 minutes ago, southend said:

Great coaching call, Hope Brands, Ryan , the duck meister brothers , take note

Agree. Bumping a wrestler up is a great way to duck two guys (both the guy who bumped up and the guy whose spot is taken). Double duck!

(I kid, I kid.)

Edited by Katie

Was it smart for Rivera to bump up? What did it accomplish? Yes, he showed he's not afraid to lose, yes he showed he's up for a challenge. But at what expense. Did Micic expose some weaknesses that Lee and Brands can now attack? I believe the # 1 goal of an NCAA wrestler is to win the NCAA Championship. Whatever strategy, tactics, approach that gets THAT job done is what should be done. If I were a NCAA coach - that is what I would be concerned with. I wouldn't worry about what the fans want to see or what some people think is best for the sport. 

This should be the most popular thread today, with all the quacking going on it’s nice to see someone seek out the best competition. It would be nice if it sparked the same kind of attitudes from coaches and wrestlers that the Gross/Merideth match did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrestling is about competing and being the best version of yourself possible, not winning titles and awards, though that is definitely the end game for most. As I said, if Lee wins it all in March I can tell you which of the two has earned more of my respect. The one pushing his limits to the max and seeing what he is cabale of, not the one who ducks a rematch to try and milk a better seed come NCAAs. Moves like that spit in the face of competition and the real motive that sports like wrestling were formed.

The goal of a high school wrestler is to win state. The goal of a college wrestler is to win NCAA's. The goal of post grads is to win Worlds/Olympics. I agree - challenging oneself to be the best is important and part of the "code", but should not interfere or get in the way of winning these championships. These athletes/coaches have to do what is best for themselves and their programs and not worry about who wins fans respect. 

7 minutes ago, Cradle1969 said:

The goal of a high school wrestler is to win state. The goal of a college wrestler is to win NCAA's. The goal of post grads is to win Worlds/Olympics. I agree - challenging oneself to be the best is important and part of the "code", but should not interfere or get in the way of winning these championships. These athletes/coaches have to do what is best for themselves and their programs and not worry about who wins fans respect. 

I agree. But it still sucks for fans, and a sport without fans is an extinct sport.