Jimmy Cinnabon

Freshman Steveson vs Sophomore Snyder?

A Sophomore Snyder is also a World Champ Snyder.  

I take Sophomore Snyder in a close bout, as that's a HUGE kudos to a True Frosh that has yet to win his first NC (presumably, he will). 

Snyder's neutral game IS his game.  Period.  No one is better, at this weight, from neutral.  He can't ride, and he got ridden. 

Snyder had a relatively small skill set in folks, especially compared to other "greats."  Dominant on his feet but not a lot else ... in part perhaps because that wasn't needed to win.

This is arguably a similar challenge for him now in freestyle.  He's very strong and his size suits the weight, but he hasn't developed a reliable turn (gut wrench, lace, etc.)   

Steveson is more athletic and seems to have a large arsenal and repertoire.  That doesn't mean Steveson would necessarily win a hypothetical matchup, but it could be relevant.

2 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Snyder had a relatively small skill set in folks, especially compared to other "greats."  Dominant on his feet but not a lot else ... in part perhaps because that wasn't needed to win.

This is arguably a similar challenge for him now in freestyle.  He's very strong and his size suits the weight, but he hasn't developed a reliable turn (gut wrench, lace, etc.)   

Steveson is more athletic and seems to have a large arsenal and repertoire.  That doesn't mean Steveson would necessarily win a hypothetical matchup, but it could be relevant.

Steveson's arsenal isn't really any bigger than Snyder's. They both have 3-4 elite leg attacks that they score most of their points from. Steveson is probably a little better on top, but doesn't get a lot of turns or ride the top guys that much and Snyder was never ridden. I don't think mat wrestling would play a significant role in this match. I also don't know that Steveson is more athletic than Snyder. 

3 hours ago, qc8223 said:

Steveson's arsenal isn't really any bigger than Snyder's. They both have 3-4 elite leg attacks that they score most of their points from.

I think Snyder would win, but this seems wrong to me.  I've seen Stevenson hit more variety of attacks per match than I have seen Snyder hit per year.  I think Stevenson would even be athletic enough to defend the low singles, but that's only if he didn't get worn down by heavy hands, which I don't think is ready for.

Well, I don't know about this hypothetical match, and I don't know how much Gable actually weighs, but eventually Gable will make another foray at the Senior Level, and he will either go up and take on the Gwizz, or drop down to take on the SnyderMan. And if Gable does drop down maybe we see a match between him and Kyle. 

10 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well, I don't know about this hypothetical match, and I don't know how much Gable actually weighs, but eventually Gable will make another foray at the Senior Level, and he will either go up and take on the Gwizz, or drop down to take on the SnyderMan. And if Gable does drop down maybe we see a match between him and Kyle. 

Steveson weighs 260ish. He will not be cutting to 97 kg. In fact, I believe he wrestled Juniors a year early because he couldn't make the highest cadet weight class anymore of 100kg.

13 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

I think Snyder would win, but this seems wrong to me.  I've seen Stevenson hit more variety of attacks per match than I have seen Snyder hit per year.  I think Stevenson would even be athletic enough to defend the low singles, but that's only if he didn't get worn down by heavy hands, which I don't think is ready for.

What attacks does Steveson hit? From my memory, he hits an ankle pick, an outside step high crotch, and then a ton of reattacks/go behinds off his snaps. Snyder has ankle picks to both sides, a low single, a snatch single, a high crotch, and reattacks. He hit all of those attacks regularly in college. Steveson does have a wide array of attacks (especially for a heavyweight), but not moreso than Snyder. Snyder may have seemed robotic because of how easy and frequently he was taking people down, but he was doing that with a wide variety of attacks, not the same 1 or 2 over and over. I think this is a case of recency bias.

I've attached a Snyder match for reference: 

In this match, he scored 11 takedowns with the following attacks

1 conventional penetration step high crotch

4 Toe step snatch singles

1 outside step high crotch

1 low single

1 go behind of Streifel's single leg

1 high single to body lock finish

1 snap go behind

1 hip toss

That's 11 takedowns on 8 different attacks. He also came close to scoring a nice arm drag and a blast double.

Edited by qc8223

10 hours ago, de4856 said:

giphy.gif

I don't remember Caldwell getting pointed for his backflip despite what the ESPN announcers said. Pretty sure it was metcalf who was pointed for shoving him over (thought this was corrected later on the broadcast but not in the available youtube videos of the match). Could be wrong on that, though.

On topic, let's see how steveson finishes his freshman campaign. I have him picked to win it but lets see how he does vs all the elite competition before making comparisons to a goat candidate.

24 minutes ago, Perry said:

I don't remember Caldwell getting pointed for his backflip despite what the ESPN announcers said. Pretty sure it was metcalf who was pointed for shoving him over (thought this was corrected later on the broadcast but not in the available youtube videos of the match). Could be wrong on that, though.

On topic, let's see how steveson finishes his freshman campaign. I have him picked to win it but lets see how he does vs all the elite competition before making comparisons to a goat candidate.

Correct, during the following match (Burroughs vs Poeta) the broadcasters clarified it was Iowa who lost a team pt. due to the Metcalf shove.