Pinnum

Schools without womens wrestling putting on girls wrestling camps

Many of these camps are strategic to show school administration that woman's wrestling can draw numbers and athletes to campus. The better these are attended, the higher likelihood of getting administrations to create opportunities for wrestlers at these universities.

Edited by Jeff Marsh

I'm all for a college program making some extra cash by holding girls only camps, extra cash is good.

But girls wrestling will not save men's wrestling.  Universities will not want to fund another non revenue sport that significantly less people will come to watch.

That is unless they employ the same trick as intermingling a girls match in between a men's match like USA Wrestling does which is nothing more than a bathroom or concession stand break.

Edited by Boompa

I come from the #1 area in the USA with womens wrestling.  My college also fields a womens team.  All girl camps are going to net you less than $3k total, all day, anywhere in the country.  The cost to start a womens team at a school that has no wrestling is very high.  I disagree with the sentiment that womens wrestling will not save mens.  If you want to add womens athletics participation to a university, womens wrestling is second only to basketball.  You do not need any additional facility upgrades, no more facility equipment, it is indoors so facility seasons have zero impact, and you have no roster caps.  If a school is out of compliance or close to it, adding a womens wrestling team to an existing mens team is the fastest and easist fix aside from cutting mens.

Edited by olddirty

17 hours ago, Jeff Marsh said:

Many of these camps are strategic to show school administration that woman's wrestling can draw numbers and athletes to campus. The better these are attended, the higher likelihood of getting administrations to create opportunities for wrestlers at these universities.

Oh course, if these competing camps draw girls away from the schools that actually sponsor the sport at their school, they diminish the benefits to the school.

"We added a girls team because we thought it would bring people to our school for camps but our camps are not well attended and it hasn't increased our name recognition.  We are now considering terminating the program as it hasn't delivered the results the sport was suppose to bring to our campus."

I'm all for a college program making some extra cash by holding girls only camps, extra cash is good.

But girls wrestling will not save men's wrestling.  Universities will not want to fund another non revenue sport that significantly less people will come to watch.

That is unless they employ the same trick as intermingling a girls match in between a men's match like USA Wrestling does which is nothing more than a bathroom or concession stand break.

You clearly don’t pay attention to college sports - colleges fund all sorts of non-revenue women’s sports that typically have small attendance figures and they will continue to do so.

You have the right to your opinion regarding bathroom breaks, but it’s dated and we will be better as a sport when our fans embrace all our athletes. Back in your time capsule.

9 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

You clearly don’t pay attention to college sports - colleges fund all sorts of non-revenue women’s sports that typically have small attendance figures and they will continue to do so.

You have the right to your opinion regarding bathroom breaks, but it’s dated and we will be better as a sport when our fans embrace all our athletes. Back in your time capsule.

Did we not lose weight classes at the olympics to accommodate women's wrestling?  Are you going to say to me that fully funded 9.9 scholarship D1 programs will definitely not reduce their scholarships if a university adds women's wrestling?  I want a 100% definite from you.

Sure...I'm dated.  Put me in the camp that will watch men's soccer over women's, men's baseball over softball and the NBA over the WNBA.

There are a lot of time capsules out there and they are never...ever...going away regardless of what you say and think.  It's about watching a particular sport on it's "Highest level".

What is D2 and D3 NCAA Championships attendence and viewership compared to D1 BTW?  I await your snarky answer.

Did you want to lose all of wrestling in the Olympics? So you can have your men's only world with no wrestling in the Olympics or you can compromise? Or is that why you believe wrestling lost spots from 1996? The Olympics started dropping wrestling spots before the women even had their four weights in 2004. Look it up. 10-8-7. Facts. 

I'm going to say a properly funded athletic department that does its due diligence in properly adding sports and adhering to gender equity has NO requirement to cut wrestling from the men's side of things. So if you're mad at women as a whole for cutting programs, blame piss-poor administrators for not understanding change is coming. You clearly didn't get that memo. If you would be aware of how college sports actually operate, you'd see that when a women's sport that's been added in the past ten years, there have been minimal cuts to the men's funding of the same sport. I don't have the data on over 1,000 NCAA schools off the top of my head, but I look at this stuff closer than you do, I can definitely tell you that. 

Wrestling fans should be wrestling fans, greatest sport in the world, right? That's what we preach? All the things it teaches us, to fight, to adapt, to respond to adversity. But to you, girls can't have the same thing? But if they do, you won't embrace them getting to experience the same thrills the boys get? To hell what the kickball and roundball fans think. We are better than that. You don't want to watch, that's your prerogative, but to denigrate those girls and women who decide to put it on the line for their school and country, that's dated. 

Spare me the bullsh*t about watching the sport at "the highest level." That's a copout of epic proportions and it's the same excuse I hear from bitter old folks who can't stand to watch women wrestle (or any women's sport). I've heard your excuse countless times from other people who don't get it. The same people who b*tch and moan about women's wrestling being not "the highest level" will in gyms watching bad high school wrestling tournaments week after week. Yes, that's a snarky answer because attitudes like yours hold the sport back. Adapt or get run over. 

You know the best thing about time capsules? They can stay buried, with people often forgetting where they left such dated ideals. 

Yes my answer is snarky, but at least it's not disrespectful to the sport. I can deal with logical and legitimate gripes about the wrestling we choose to watch. Claiming "the highest level" is groundless. Welcome to my ignore list, old timer.