Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

What were the Indiana coaches thinking?

I was watching the match between A Ashnault and Fernando Silva from Indiana.  Silva (who is currently 3-7 on the year) , who I  was doing really well against #1 ranked Ashnault.  He was out wrestling Ashnault on his feet and winning until he gave up a late 2nd period takedown to tie the match at 6-6.  It was his choice in the last period.  At this point I am sitting there saying to myself that this kid has to take neutral in the 3rd.  I mean Ashnault is the guy who has been turning everyone this year including #2 Kolodzik & #3 M Jordan.  The Indiana coaches have to know that right?  Sure enough Silva takes down and gets turned and ridden and loses the match.  Now I am not saying that Silva would have won - there was a lot of wrestling left to do - but taking neutral was the obvious choice to anyone who has been paying attention this year.  If there is such a thing as coaching malpractice this is a perfect example.  If you haven't seen this match yet definitely take the time to check it out.  

Edited by lu1979

I am a long-time proponent of placing a wrestler in their best position as opposed to some theoretical mat strategy, especially when it is working in a particular match.

BTW I finally got to see that match and for two periods it was exciting.  

Reguardless, This Indiana squad, lead by Angel,Isaac, Mike and the rest of the crew,  improvement , is so incrementally better tHan any of the last 10 teams Goldman coached. There ain’t ANY negative. From my stand point , for at least 4-5 years. It’s all POSITIVE!

18 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The Flo guys also said Schnaulty got his backpoints in what looked like an OOB situation and they didn't challenge, is that part true?

This is true. 

4 minutes ago, LordNelson said:

Ashnault looked pretty gassed early.

Pretty close to the one hour weigh in and I believe this bout was early in the dual. 

1st match

8 minutes ago, southend said:

1st match

No excuse and I'm no Ashnault fan but the 1 hour weigh in is a huge factor as to why BIG 10 duals yield some head scratching results.

Quality and quantity combined can pose challenges for even the toughest and top guys. 

51 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The Flo guys also said Schnaulty got his backpoints in what looked like an OOB situation and they didn't challenge, is that part true?

Probably the reason they didn't challenge is because they were on the opposite side of the mat from the action and had no angle to see the OOB.  It baffles me that the assistant ref, who had a clear view/angle didn't call for a video review himself...the head ref (Joe Tauber) probably didn't see it because he was focused on the exposure.

6 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Did y'all miss that he was taken down to close out the 2nd period?

I said he gave up a takedown late in the 2nd.  He had 3 TDs before that including one throw that almost got back points. His best shot at winning was on his feet. 

What if the coaches have been trying to improve their wrestler over the last three weeks in a position that they felt was a deficiency? And for three weeks this kid has been buying in and was willing to try out the feel of any new techniques? And in doing so, recognized that the next 4 weeks of practice sessions just gained new light on the need for smarter tactics on bottom; tactics that could shore up areas in an improving wrestler, and possibly, propel him from a lower placement at B1Gs to a qualifying spot???

If the wrestler truly wants to improve, and the coaches sense that, they will do what is necessary to try and test their practices. Perhaps this is one of those times.

Edited by RealAmericanHero

Obviously they felt picking down gave Silva the best chance to win.  It almost worked... I mean, he did get an escape, right?  Maybe he was just feeling out the position so he can get the real upset when at counts at Big 10's... lol. 

Serious improvements this year in Bloomington.  I don't really feel the need to be overly critical of a decision that backfired in a February dual.  

44 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

What if the coaches have been trying to improve their wrestler over the last three weeks in a position that they felt was a deficiency? And for three weeks this kid has been buying in and was willing to try out the feel of any new techniques? And in doing so, recognized that the next 4 weeks of practice sessions just gained new light on the need for smarter tactics on bottom; tactics that could shore up areas in an improving wrestler, and possibly, propel him from a lower placement at B1Gs to a qualifying spot???

If the wrestler truly wants to improve, and the coaches sense that, they will do what is necessary to try and test their practices. Perhaps this is one of those times.

^^^This.  The coaches I know would agree that practicing weak positions is necessary to get better, as well as fine-tuning positions of strength.  There is a time and place for both, and if the coaches want to see how he's performing on bottom, that will take precedence over "whatever gives him the best chance to win" during the regular season.  Near the end of February the focus shifts to honing their best positions and gaining confidence in their go-to moves/positions, in preparation for the post season. At least that's how it was explained to me.

59 minutes ago, RealAmericanHero said:

You improve in the room not in a match. At least that's my philosophy. 

1 hour ago, RealAmericanHero said:

I agree also. At Indiana this needs to be worked on, for the most part, for the whole team. Getting off the bottom.

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

You improve in the room not in a match. At least that's my philosophy. 

In a recent interview, Cael offered an opinion regarding this subject.  He agreed with you. 

Edited by LemonPie

Normally I don’t mind the whole “use it as a learning experience” argument, but not here.  If you’re under .500 and have a shot at taking out the #1 guy in the country, you take it.   It’s not like Silva is a guarantee to make it out of B1G’s so that could’ve helped his seed tremendously.

If he took Ashnault down 3 times to 1, then I agree with OP, he should’ve taken neutral.   

Is this match available online for less than $150?