Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

What were the Indiana coaches thinking?

7 hours ago, Show_Me said:

Impressed how the Indiana Program is much improved this year.

Good for the BIG and D1 Wrestling.

This  match was a good test for the young guy, feeling his way around the Big Ten. After an early season injury he has shown what Angel has seen him do in the past. Fight all 3 periods. He had a chance in the 3rd, against Verkleeren, to win, lost 6-4. He beat Bannister since coming back. And now he came within a hair of getting the #1 guy. All good, bad decision or not, for Ferny. He will have another chance.

I think when your guy is 3-7 in this case, you do what you can to get him the W. Coach him up, fine tune other areas later.

This was the likely highlight of his season, I don't see the point in this case of worrying too much about the next meeting or prepping him for national tourney.  

17 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

I think when your guy is 3-7 in this case, you do what you can to get him the W. Coach him up, fine tune other areas later.

This was the likely highlight of his season, I don't see the point in this case of worrying too much about the next meeting or prepping him for national tourney.  

Always try to win the match.  No 4-D chess no matter what your record is.

40 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Always try to win the match.  No 4-D chess no matter what your record is.

I was being tongue-in-cheek about them prepping for his next matchup with Ashnault.  They know very well who Ashnault is, they thought Silva had a better chance of getting out without getting turned than winning the match on his feet.  Didn't work this time around.  

5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I was being tongue-in-cheek about them prepping for his next matchup with Ashnault.  They know very well who Ashnault is, they thought Silva had a better chance of getting out without getting turned than winning the match on his feet.  Didn't work this time around.  

I agree. I'm sure the bench was doing what they thought would give their wrestler the best chance to win. It's rare to see otherwise.  A notable exception has been Ok. State over the years.  Smith puts guys down to   .  .  .  Idk  .  .  . teach them a lesson?

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Normally I don’t mind the whole “use it as a learning experience” argument, but not here.  If you’re under .500 and have a shot at taking out the #1 guy in the country, you take it.   It’s not like Silva is a guarantee to make it out of B1G’s so that could’ve helped his seed tremendously.

If he took Ashnault down 3 times to 1, then I agree with OP, he should’ve taken neutral.   

Is this match available online for less than $150?

I saw it on last weeks episode of Big 10 in sixty - Every week they have a show on the B10 channel that features the best individual matches of the past week - I always dvr it. i don't know if you can see it online - the B10 puts a lot of matches on you tube.

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Then why the need for match experience, if you get no improvement from a match?

Matches are where you build confidence and find out where you need to improve. You do not improve in a match. 

If you watch this match you had a kid sub-500 who was hanging with the #1 kid in the country. He was pumped with a lot of in match confidence and swagger. Ashnault was clearly not completely in it the bout but the second the Indiana went down it was over. 

On 2/13/2019 at 12:20 PM, Gantry said:

The Flo guys also said Schnaulty got his backpoints in what looked like an OOB situation and they didn't challenge, is that part true?

Both wrestlers were absolutely out of bounds (both physically and "virtually" if you extend the boundary vertically upwards).   Watched the replay 4 or 5 times and it was completely clear.  Ashnault rolled Silva back in.  The head ref was looking for back points and wasn't watching the line, which the side ref should have been doing.  The swipes were also arguably pretty darn quick.

1 hour ago, gromit said:

Silva had 1:20 RT advantage to start the 3rd

Agree that Indiana has made some nice progress this year, but this solidifies that going down was dumb.

So really all he had to do to win was not get taken down.  Did he have any stall warnings?

4 hours ago, Zebra said:

Matches are where you build confidence and find out where you need to improve. You do not improve in a match. 

If you watch this match you had a kid sub-500 who was hanging with the #1 kid in the country. He was pumped with a lot of in match confidence and swagger. Ashnault was clearly not completely in it the bout but the second the Indiana went down it was over. 

I will respectfully disagree that you do not improve through wrestling in matches. 

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  He got up immediately and earned a stall call. Nice start.  He was then unable to do anything meaningful.  That is not on the coaches.  It is on him at that point.  Better luck next time.

Hindsight is 20/20 based on what happened , but not based on what led up to that point:

1.  He had already taken him down 3 times

2.  He had 1:20 of riding time so if it took longer than 20 seconds to get out he’d be giving up a point

3.  Ashnault is good on top

4.   With the riding time, he was in the lead so didn’t even need to get another takedown, just not get taken down himself although of course that wasn’t guaranteed.

I guess they were thinking even if he lost the riding time, as long as he didn’t get turned and eventually got out he’d still be in the lead, and depending on how long it took him to get out it would leave less time on the clock for him to possibly get taken down. But I’d still say he likely had a better chance of either not getting taken down (or even getting taken down and then getting out without losing the RT which would’ve sent it to OT) or getting a takedown himself, than getting out without being turned or getting out then getting taken down without getting another escape

He had his opportunity to win, but he needed to close the deal and couldn't.  It was exciting for him and maybe even a confidence booster.  The cold hard reality is AA was going to win that third period independent of starting position.  This aint the movies, we've seen these one point matches play out many times.    

On 2/15/2019 at 8:46 AM, Plasmodium said:

He had his opportunity to win, but he needed to close the deal and couldn't.  It was exciting for him and maybe even a confidence booster.  The cold hard reality is AA was going to win that third period independent of starting position.  This aint the movies, we've seen these one point matches play out many times.    

Exactly, ain’t the movies. Ferny doesn’t really know right now how he stacks up with the rest of the conference guys.  He feeling his way around. You are right.  Confidence Booster.  Ashnault will also remember to be ready next time too.