Sign in to follow this  
TobusRex

Rivera vs Micic...what, no duck?

6 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

125 pounder #1 Rivera jumped up a weight to wrestle #1 133 pounder Micic and lost 10-4.

Hats off to NW's coaches and Rivera. We don't see this often enough. NW - the ANTI-Duckers :D

Unpopular opinion: Cool to see, but there is no risk in doing this. I mean Rivera got smoked and we are still celebrating how great he is for bumping up. 

Edited by russelscout

10 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Unpopular opinion: Cool to see, but there is no risk in doing this. I mean Rivera got smoked and we are still celebrating how great he is for bumping up. 

Rivera no longer has an undefeated season. I bet you he cares about that. He also got embarrassed in front of family, teammates and friends. I can assure you he cares about that, even if the fans don’t. 

Not the same thing, but it didn’t feel much better when I got thrown to my back and pinned in my home gym by the state champ compared to the guy I could’ve beaten. Both sucked about the same amount. 

7 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Rivera no longer has an undefeated season. I bet you he cares about that. He also got embarrassed in front of family, teammates and friends. I can assure you he cares about that, even if the fans don’t. 

Not the same thing, but it didn’t feel much better when I got thrown to my back and pinned in my home gym by the state champ compared to the guy I could’ve beaten. Both sucked about the same amount. 

I can see the undefeated argument, but I don't buy that all losses feel the same. There are many guys who lost to Cael Sanderson at 84 and 97. Do you think those losses are as painful to those guys as ones where they should have won? In some situations losses are expected or even forgiven when you consider the quality of competition. 

14 minutes ago, russelscout said:

I can see the undefeated argument, but I don't buy that all losses feel the same. There are many guys who lost to Cael Sanderson at 84 and 97. Do you think those losses are as painful to those guys as ones where they should have won? In some situations losses are expected or even forgiven when you consider the quality of competition.  

If I lost to Cael in college, that would probably be my twitter bio and the first line of my resume.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Dude I actually pulled 20 pounds in a week to wrestle a 2 time State Champ (Chris Sinor). I was so sucked out and weak I never stood a chance, gave up a superior decision :(

MY hats off to the Northwestern kid for bumbling up. I like seeing more of this and this is good for wrestling. This ducking stuff for what ever reason hurts the sport.  I was not surprised that Micis won, he a great wrestler, but I could not believe the difference in size. There was a notable difference in there size. I'm sure Rivera will take what happened and use it in the future. I always hatted it when my coached used to tell me, you learn more in a lose than a win. But he is right. This I'm sure will benefit him down the road when it counts. Again, my hats off to Northwestern for this. Thanks you.