Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Never Been Pinned

I was thinking about how hard it is to get through a full college wrestling career without getting pinned.

Many great college wrestlers have been pinned in college: Taylor, Snyder, IMar, Gilman, Metcalf, Heil, Valencia, Myles Martin....

Who are some of the greats to have never been pinned?  Sanderson, Stieber?, Nolf, Nickal, Oliver, Dake, Delgado, Burroughs, Dieringer?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Just now, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I was thinking about how hard it is to get through a full college wrestling career without getting pinned.

Many great college wrestlers have been pinned in college: Taylor, Snyder, IMar, Gilman, Metcalf, Heil, Valencia, Myles Martin....

Who are some of the greats to have never been pinned?  Sanderson, Stieber?, Nolf, Nickal, Oliver?

Im sure there are a lot of them. Some that would really surprise you. 

10 minutes ago, JP158 said:

Tom Brands got Pinned by Alan Fried in the 1991 Midland Finals. :42 seconds. 

I know Brands got the better of Fried, overall, but I always thought then, and STILL think, that Fried was a better wrestler than Brands.  Cowboy bias, probably.

Never given up near fall would probably be a better question as a gauge of a career.   To have not once been turned or hit with a big feet to back move at that level would be an incredible accomplishment and would probably get the parameters closer to the intent of the OP. 

Edited by MSU158

51 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Who are some of the greats to have never been pinned?  Sanderson, Stieber?, Nolf, Nickal, Oliver, Dake, Delgado, Burroughs, Dieringer?

Megaludis has a pin over Delgado in the 2013 dual meet.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

2 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Never given up near fall would probably be a better question as a gauge of a career.   To have not once been turned or hit with a big feet to back move at that level would be an incredible accomplishment and would probably get the parameters closer to the intent of the OP. 

So that crosses Nickal and Joseph off the list.  I don't think Nolf has ever given up backs though.

6 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/18745-never-gave-up-near-fall-points-in-college/

pretty sure Nick Suriano has not given up back points or bonus in college - interesting challenge coming up this Sunday

oh, forgot med ff, inj losses

Edited by vsnej

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Huh?

He was pinned by cross-town rival Ron Keister in a 1963 dual.  Both were undefeated ninth-graders at the time.  In a 1981 Des Moines Register article, Gable said that "Keister works for Deere in Waterloo and to this day he kids me about that." 

The other pin also occurred at the hands of a resident of Dan's home town. At the 1968 Olympic Trials, former Hawkeye Tom Huff (then serving in the Air Force), pinned Gable in 1:10.  Huff describes their match in the book "Wrestlers At The Trials" by James Moffatt.

Edited by HurricaneWrestling2

3 minutes ago, HurricaneWrestling2 said:

He was pinned by cross-town rival Ron Keister in a 1963 dual.  Both were undefeated ninth-graders at the time.  In a 1981 Des Moines Register article, Gable said that "Keister works for Deere in Waterloo and to this day he kids me about that." 

The other pin also occurred at the hands of a resident of Dan's home town. At the 1968 Olympic Trials, former Hawkeye Tom Huff (then serving in the Air Force), pinned Gable in 1:10.  Huff describes their match in the book "Wrestlers At The Trials" by James Moffatt.

Gotchya. Very interesting stuff, but I think the topic was discussing the wrestlers full COLLEGE career. Not career in general.