nom

NCAA D1 champs with worst HS results

Kyle Snyder didn't win a single match his senior year of HS.  

Didn’t Snyder enter FS events during his SR year in HS at the OTC? If so, I’m sure he won at least one bout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sylvester Terkay never qualified for the PIAA state meet (wrestled for Canon-McMillan HS).  He was a 1x NCAA champ and 1x NCAA runner-up for NC State.

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

Didn’t Snyder enter FS events during his SR year in HS at the OTC? If so, I’m sure he won at least one bout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are talking about HS wrestling.  Nothing else matters or compares!

1 hour ago, mrh said:

Sylvester Terkay never qualified for the PIAA state meet (wrestled for Canon-McMillan HS).  He was a 1x NCAA champ and 1x NCAA runner-up for NC State.

I believe he grew significantly either late in HS early college.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

We are talking about HS wrestling.  Nothing else matters or compares!

Then your poor attempt at humor is lost.  Obviously, he cannot win a HS bout if he defers his final year of HS eligibility.

Pete Blair won 2 NCAA titles for Navy but never managed to break onto the varsity lineup for his high school team coached by the legendary Billy Martin. He was also an Olympic bronze medalist. 

This is true, although legend has it that Pete was a smaller man in high school and grew significantly upon his arrival at the Naval Academy.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, JasonBryant said:

This is true, although legend has it that Pete was a smaller man in high school and grew significantly upon his arrival at the Naval Academy.

Still amazing that he never was able to make varsity in high school and graduated early at 16 to achieve that.  

On 2/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, JasonBryant said:

Were it not for a growth spurt, Blair may have never made it to the mat.

At just 5-foot-6 as a high school senior at Granby High School, Blair was not part of Billy Martin's first wrestling team in 1949 "Ed Eichelberger, also part of the Class of 2009, was Martin's first star at Granby, winning three state titles.

Blair enlisted in the Navy at the age of 16, and during his recruit training grew an amazing 6 inches. By the time his two years at Bainbridge Prep Academy were done that total was 7.5 inches.

"Martin started varsity wrestling at Granby when I was a senior," said Blair in a 1978 story for the Virginian-Pilot and Ledger-Star. "He picked his team from an intramural tournament. When I got to Annapolis I told them I was from Granby and they thought I was already an established wrestler."

Source:  https://www.wrestlingpod.com/wrestling-news/wtag/peter-steele-blair/

Not collegiate Folkstyle but Andre Roussimoff of France didn't wrestle until 18 years of age and later became a World Champ.