nom

NCAA D1 champs with worst HS results

For example, any NCAA champs (that wrestled in HS in the U.S.) that didn’t even qualify for states? 

Even interested in high placing All-Americans.  Basically guys that truly came from out of the blue.

33 minutes ago, nom said:

For example, any NCAA champs (that wrestled in HS in the U.S.) that didn’t even qualify for states

Even interested in high placing All-Americans.  Basically guys that truly came from out of the blue.

A very very small percentage of NCAA champs qualified for 'states' believe Mark Hall may have, there've been others but can't come up with any off the top of my head. ;_;

PS: might remember incorrectly on Hall, may have been he repeated 6th grade in multiple states.

Edited by ionel

I know 2 wrestlers from Division 2 Nebraska-Kearney who won D2 titles, never won a state title.  Tervel Dlagnev placed 5th and 3rd and Raufeon Stots only placed his Senior year and only wrestled one year in HS.  Tervel ended winning a D2 Title, was a multiple time world and Olympic Team Member and Stots placed 4th at Labette Community College and then went on to win two Division 2 Titles at Nebraska- Kearney.  

Both great talents that just did not have much wrestling back grounds, but ended up with lots of success.  

Keith Gavin didn't win districts, regions, or states his senior season. Lost to the same guy (Joe Rovelli who went to Hofstra) in the district and regional finals. Then at states, he lost to I believe Ryan Hlushak who beat Rovelli in the state finals. Still took 3rd at states so it's not like he didn't even make it out the region before eventually becoming an NCAA champ but I always found it kind of amusing that he didn't even win districts his senior year. 

5 hours ago, ionel said:

A very very small percentage of NCAA champs qualified for 'states' believe Mark Hall may have, there've been others but can't come up with any off the top of my head. ;_;

PS: might remember incorrectly on Hall, may have been he repeated 6th grade in multiple states.

Did Hall win national 2 years ago?

as to the OP, I’d be surprised if there were any D1 champs that never qualified for states.  I mean the announcers always talk about how Cassar didn’t qualify until he was a senior but he still won it that year.  Even a guy like Macchiavello was the first champ from NC in 30+ years and he was “only” a 1 time state champ.

Couple Long Island wrestlers

Nick Gallo 3rd in state , NCAA championship mvp-

------------------------------------

Rudy Isom NCAA champ

Pretty sure 2nd in section didn't go to states.

Edited by cangemi

Did Hall win national 2 years ago?

as to the OP, I’d be surprised if there were any D1 champs that never qualified for states.  I mean the announcers always talk about how Cassar didn’t qualify until he was a senior but he still won it that year.  Even a guy like Macchiavello was the first champ from NC in 30+ years and he was “only” a 1 time state champ.
Maybe someday he can win senior world.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

An actual NCAA champ from Long Island who never qualified for states is Noel Loban from Clemson and Copiague High School. He came here from England I'm not sure how many years he wrestled in high school but it was at least one and he never placed in Suffolk County no less NYS. 

12 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Stan Dziedzic didn't make it out of districts.

I've always wondered: if you qualify out of districts (lest say 3 of em) and get lucky enough to be seeded/placed in the regional bracket on two sides (say 2 top & 1 bottom) and you place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd thus good seeds for the state tournament, has anyone every placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at state? :)

Edited by ionel

13 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Stan Dziedzic didn't make it out of districts.

Dziedzic was a District XI champ in 1967.  He beat Keith Ernst of Palisades, 11-1.  Bob Ferraro pinned Dziedzic in the 1966 final at 127 pounds. 

http://lehighvalleywrestlinghistory.com/features-stories-more/lehigh-valley-state-wrestling-championship-history-pa-nj-pciaa-lists-history/district-xi-finals-history/

http://lehighvalleywrestlinghistory.com/the-1960s/1966-67-the-pit-the-streak/

Liberty sophomore, Randy Biggs, became the only underclassman to win a title in the first bout at 95 by decisioning Wilson’s Dale King 6-1.  Glenn Zoski claimed his 2nd district title by beating Dieruff’s Gary Fye 4-2 at 103 while teammate Tony Franco’s unlikely run ended with an 8-4 loss to Easton’s  Dwight Danser.  Liberty and Allen would add titlists in two of the next three weight classes as the Hurricanes’ Joe Benson won 11-2 at 120, and Dziedzic continued his post-season run 11-1 at 133.  In between, Ron Bowers of Nazareth stopped Easton’s Snyder 9-5