I heard he got creative again last night, setting up his headlock for a fall.  Haven't seen the full bout posted on Flo yet, but here's an excerpt from the student newspaper, The Daily Collegian, as well as video of the fall.

Jason Nolf came to Penn State in 2014 and has been wrestling for coach Cael Sanderson ever since. Even in his senior, the senior from Yatesboro, Pa. is still showing off new moves.

In the match against Michigan State on Friday night, Nolf faced Jake Tucker at 157 pounds. In a matchup that saw four first period takedowns from Nolf plus two points from a reversal, he led 10-5 heading into the second period. The second period did not even get halfway through before Nolf got the fall at the 3:50 mark.

This is Nolf’s 58th career pin, pushing him to a bigger lead on top of the all-time pins list. He may not always be on the mat for the whole seven minutes, but Nolf doesn’t seem to mind.

“I’m just blessed and thankful to be out here and trying to compete at the highest level and my best efforts, “ Nolf said.

It was not an easy effort from Nolf to get the pin over his opponent on Friday night. He started out by stretching Tucker’s arm over and behind his head before getting him into a headlock, eventually leading to the fall.

Edited by lu_alum

It is crazy. What he does to D1 guys is about what I could do to a child. Imagine how crazy it feels for a guy who is good enough to start in the Big10 to just get smashed and toyed with in front of thousands of people. 

Nolf is insane and will not only make the world team, but will also medal at worlds this year. 

It is crazy. What he does to D1 guys is about what I could do to a child. Imagine how crazy it feels for a guy who is good enough to start in the Big10 to just get smashed and toyed with in front of thousands of people. 
Nolf is insane and will not only make the world team, but will also medal at worlds this year. 
At what weight do you project Nolf at 70, 74 kg?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

The d1 athletes he is wrestling right now are at least three levels below those he would have to beat to win a world medal. I’m willing to make any wager you would like on your statement. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Dude, it was MSU.

Watching Nolf's loss against Kennedy not too long ago, some of Nolf's strengths are neutralized in freestyle.  He threw everything he could at Kennedy, but Kennedy held position extremely well and beat him.  And the top guys on the world stage are significantly better than Kennedy.

Edited by DEFan79

3 hours ago, DEFan79 said:

Watching Nolf's loss against Kennedy not too long ago, some of Nolf's strengths are neutralized in freestyle.  He threw everything he could at Kennedy, but Kennedy held position extremely well and beat him.  And the top guys on the world stage are significantly better than Kennedy.

Kennedy got a TD with 8 seconds left to win by that match by that one TD margin. You make it sound like Kennedy drubbed him. Plus, Kennedy was a prior world team member while Nolf was in maybe his 3rd freestyle tournament of his life. If you can't see that that result could be different now then you aren't looking hard enough. 

Edited by TBar1977

DEFan didn’t at all make it sound like Kennedy gave him a drubbing, in any way shape or form. He simply stated what he employed to win the match. And....he’s right. Don’t recall reading anywhere he said, or implied, no way there would be a different result if they wrestled again this summer. 

Recency bias is at the extreme on this board. Too many people feel like dominating D-1 folkstyle wrestlers means they are ready to win a world medal right now. Nolf is not at all a top five athlete at the world level right now. He certainly could be in the future. But not at the 2019 world championships. 

15 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Kennedy got a TD with 8 seconds left to win by that match by that one TD margin. You make it sound like Kennedy drubbed him. Plus, Kennedy was a prior world team member while Nolf was in maybe his 3rd freestyle tournament of his life. If you can't see that that result could be different now then you are looking hard enough. 

Kennedy would have won without that TD anyway.  He was leading by criteria at 6-6.  I know Kennedy didn't "drub" him.  It was a close, competitive match, but Kennedy did expose why Nolf's complete dominance in folk won't necessarily translate to dominance in freestyle.  

27 minutes ago, DEFan79 said:

Imagine the outcry if DeSanto had attempted that move.

Apparently, it's legal.  DeSanto crosses the line into illegality and unsportsmanlike conduct.   There is a difference.  An important one.

look, I don’t mean to put down Tucker.  He is a legitimate B1G starter.  But pinning him does not make you a lock for a World Medal.  He is currently not ranked and was a non-NQ last year.  He is young and showing signs of having NQ talent.  But to use this result to predict a World Medal is hyperbole at its greatest.

Edited by jchapman

23 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Apparently, it's legal.  DeSanto crosses the line into illegality and unsportsmanlike conduct.   There is a difference.  An important one.

Maybe that’s what the Michigan State coach was speaking to the ref about immediately after the match. 

2 hours ago, DEFan79 said:

Kennedy would have won without that TD anyway.  He was leading by criteria at 6-6.  I know Kennedy didn't "drub" him.  It was a close, competitive match, but Kennedy did expose why Nolf's complete dominance in folk won't necessarily translate to dominance in freestyle.  

Well, 2 years have passed. I can easily see that match going different this year.

11 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Well, 2 years have passed. I can easily see that match going different this year.

Whether Nolf could currently beat Kennedy was never the point.  Kennedy was merely brought up to combat the presumptuous view that Nolf would win a world medal this year.  

1 minute ago, ThorsteinV said:

Whether Nolf could currently beat Kennedy was never the point.  Kennedy was merely brought up to combat the presumptuous view that Nolf would win a world medal this year.  

I have no idea if he will win a world medal, but what happened 2 years ago is not an indication of what will happen this year. 

There aren’t many NCAA wrestlers who have been as dominant as Nolf. The ones who have been as dominant (Askren, Taylor, Ruth, Dake, etc.) have been able to at least make a world team.

Whether Nolf medals in a different style of wrestling is anyone’s guess. Personally, I think that once he adjusts to freestyle he’ll be among the world’s best.