HurricaneWrestling2

#2 Oklahoma State at #5 Missouri...

I got to enjoy some suspect calls from zeitz at the high school level this weekend, he can stay at that level where he belongs imo. One interesting note that I haven't seen mentioned, leeth was not one of the seniors introduced for senior night, so I am guessing they know he will be back for one more season next year

1 minute ago, Perry said:

I got to enjoy some suspect calls from zeitz at the high school level this weekend, he can stay at that level where he belongs imo. One interesting note that I haven't seen mentioned, leeth was not one of the seniors introduced for senior night, so I am guessing they know he will be back for one more season next year

Leeth has 2 more years left.  Due to previous injuries, the NCAA granted him eligibility through 2020-21.  He'll be 35 yrs. old when his eligibility runs out.

It was definitely an issue last year that led to some overinflated seeds, but before that i don't remember it being a thing. 
Lavallee probably would have taken a couple more losses with a tougher schedule that would have led to a lower seed, but he was also a returning finalist who had previously hammered (if I remember correctly) Monday who he then lost to first round and ended up not AAing. So I would say underperformance was a bigger part than over seeding. And I would say Erneste also underperformed rather than being over seeded. He was seeded 5th and I believe should have AA'd last year if he wrestled up to his ability. Which is a shame because I think 133 got too though for him to make it this year.

That said, Mizzou has had some over performances in the recent past as well. Including Lavallee and Mayes making the finals two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe it's too soon to say this, but I've heard a lot of comparisons between Kent and Cox.  Kent is less polished, less coached up.  Give him another year in the room and by March of next year I think everyone will know his name. Mocco will challenge Flynn at 165, and could very well be an improvement.  Everyone is freaking out because Malik Johnson wrestled 149 in an open, but he's just returning to the mat after major surgery and was completely fat and happy.  I think he'll emerge at 133 and be at least r12. Kid was #1 ranked in the country for a reason. I have no idea where Leeth/Mauller/Jacques will end up, but whatever happens the combination will be better than this year.  I think we will have a tough time getting on the podium next year as well, but who knows.

3 hours ago, scramble said:

Regarding Mizzou next year.  I think they will be a better dual team, but I am not sure they will be any better of an NCAA tournament team. 

125) Valdiviez or Severado; Punke Redshirt?  Regardless it will be an improvement, but will it make a difference at nationals as a round of 12? 

133) Diblasi / Hart / Smith: It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  Regardless, I'm not sure any of them make the round of 12, meaning negative points at NCAA compared to Erneste.

141) Does Eierman stay at 141? Top 4 finish next year.  So about the same number of points as this year. 

149) Mauller or Leeth: Both of these guys have to be in the line-up for any chance at a top 4 finish next year.  Especially, with the loss of Lewis. 

157) Does Jaques Redshirt and Mauller and Leeth go 149/157?  As stated above, Mauller or Leeth need to be here for any chance at a top 4 finish. 

165) I like Flynn, but he seems to have hit his ceiling.  Mizzou could improve here.  Flynn is consistent and steady, but can't seem to get over the top 12 hurdle.  

174) Does Kent go 174 or can Marriot or Wisman come down? There are a lot of points lost here with Lewis leaving.  No one person is going to replace his points.  Meaning those points will have to be made up through the combination of 2 or 3 weights.

184) Marriott or Wisman?  Mizzou needs some improvement.  IMO this is kind of like 165.  We need some improvement here.  Maybe a round of 12 to pick up some of the points lost by Lewis. 

197) Koelling? or can Marriott or Wisman go up?  Would it matter if they did? Same as 165 and 184

285) Elam:  He is only going to get bigger and stronger.  He will be improved.  As a Junior World Medalist, Elam has all the tools to A.A. at HWT.  He just needs to put on some size.  If he can get to about the size and strength of Cassar of PSU I think he becomes a podium contender. 

My best guess.....

125: Punke has already shirted.  It will be him or Severado.  R12 may be a stretch.

133: Colby Smith, Malik Johnson, & Alan Hart to compete for the spot.  Solid, but a drop-off from Erneste. Malik with the highest upside.

141: With McKenna gone, Eierman’s best chance to be a a Finalist.  Title contender.

149: Mauller 

157: Leeth (with Jacques taking his RS).

165: Flynn or RS Frosh Mocco

174: Marriott or Kent or Flynn

184: Wisman or Marriott

197: Koelling

285: Elam 

Another very solid dual team. About the same (scoring) Tournament Team.

4 hours ago, boconnell said:

There's no question he has the body fat to drop.  But some guys mentally handle cutting weight and some guys don't.  Smith clearly doesn't.  

Curious, when has Joe had weight cut issues in the past?

7 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Gfeller looked over matched. Mauller's takedowns appeared to come very easy.

Mauller is very good but also Gfeller was injured in last weeks dual and was clearly still showing affect.  Notice though, John ducked no one even with injuries and guys on their way dropping to lower weight class.

4 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Are you talking about the team as a whole?  Because if so you make it sound like they're ranked #5 because of their soft schedule.  They just lost to a top 3 or 4 team, in OT of the last match of the dual.  I think they're pretty legit.

Nope.  I'm talking about individual wrestlers in general and was agreeing with the previous poster.  Sometimes when a guy wrestles below seed it's more because he wrestled over his head in the regular season then because he failed in the postseason.  

58 minutes ago, Show_Me said:

My best guess.....

125: Punke has already shirted.  It will be him or Severado.  R12 may be a stretch.

133: Colby Smith, Malik Johnson, & Alan Hart to compete for the spot.  Solid, but a drop-off from Erneste. Malik with the highest upside.

141: With McKenna gone, Eierman’s best chance to be a a Finalist.  Title contender.

149: Mauller 

157: Leeth (with Jacques taking his RS).

165: Flynn or RS Frosh Mocco

174: Marriott or Kent or Flynn

184: Wisman or Marriott

197: Koelling

285: Elam 

Another very solid dual team. About the same (scoring) Tournament Team.

I’m glad somebody brought up Mocco. I’m pretty high on him. I think he beat David Carr earlier this year. Would be really good at either 157 or 165. Mizzou is deep in the middle for sure. They have the ability to juggle some redshirts too with Jacques and Mauller going as true freshmen this year. 

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I feel like OSU's next move is to insert Weigel at 197, and drop everyone down a weight from 197 to 165... leaving Sheets on the bench.

Sounds like 174-197 can make the drop per John Smith's interview - don't know if Chandler can.

From today's performance, it would appear Chandler is on his way back to wrestling shape and may well be able to do his part here.

At this point, I really like OSU's improvement for NCAA's with 4 starters dropping a weight class.

11 hours ago, ionel said:

Mauller is very good but also Gfeller was injured in last weeks dual and was clearly still showing affect.  Notice though, John ducked no one even with injuries and guys on their way dropping to lower weight class.

Had John pulled  any of his starters, Okie State would have most likely lost the dual.

Just now, gallison said:

Had John pulled  any of his starters, Okie State would have most likely lost the dual.

Yes they would have.  Some coaches are willing to duck duals cause they believe duals don't matter.

This may have been OSU's toughest dual of the season (we'll see what happens vs Iowa next week).  Why schedule a tough non-conf. dual late in the season just to duck kids.  Smith just did what used to be the norm.  Hopefully we'll see the same thing next weekend, but I have a feeling that Brands will be more concerned about protecting seeds for the B10's.

15 hours ago, Crotalus said:

Lavallee probably would have taken a couple more losses with a tougher schedule that would have led to a lower seed, but he was also a returning finalist who had previously hammered (if I remember correctly) Monday who he then lost to first round and ended up not AAing. So I would say underperformance was a bigger part than over seeding. And I would say Erneste also underperformed rather than being over seeded. He was seeded 5th and I believe should have AA'd last year if he wrestled up to his ability. Which is a shame because I think 133 got too though for him to make it this year. 

That said, Mizzou has had some over performances in the recent past as well. Including Lavallee and Mayes making the finals two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To me Mizzou usually wrestles a solid schedule and they don't normally wrestle an easy schedule.  People keep bringing it up because of last year, which to me was an anomaly.  That said, regardless of how they performed - they got some higher seeds than they should have because of an easy schedule.  But only last year

Edited by Gantry

16 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Where are people's thoughts on all the Ok State weight shuffling? Come NCAA is this going to help them?

Nope.  To me, they would be better off just letting Geer and Jacobe figure it out (or Jacobe and Jojo, if Jacobe insists on dropping) instead of messing with all these weights.

3 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Nope.  To me, they would be better off just letting Geer and Jacobe figure it out (or Jacobe and Jojo, if Jacobe insists on dropping) instead of messing with all these weights.

Yeah, I agree, Vak

17 hours ago, scramble said:

Regarding Mizzou next year.  I think they will be a better dual team, but I am not sure they will be any better of an NCAA tournament team. 

125) Valdiviez or Severado; Punke Redshirt?  Regardless it will be an improvement, but will it make a difference at nationals as a round of 12? 

133) Diblasi / Hart / Smith: It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.  Regardless, I'm not sure any of them make the round of 12, meaning negative points at NCAA compared to Erneste.

141) Does Eierman stay at 141? Top 4 finish next year.  So about the same number of points as this year. 

149) Mauller or Leeth: Both of these guys have to be in the line-up for any chance at a top 4 finish next year.  Especially, with the loss of Lewis. 

157) Does Jaques Redshirt and Mauller and Leeth go 149/157?  As stated above, Mauller or Leeth need to be here for any chance at a top 4 finish. 

165) I like Flynn, but he seems to have hit his ceiling.  Mizzou could improve here.  Flynn is consistent and steady, but can't seem to get over the top 12 hurdle.  

174) Does Kent go 174 or can Marriot or Wisman come down? There are a lot of points lost here with Lewis leaving.  No one person is going to replace his points.  Meaning those points will have to be made up through the combination of 2 or 3 weights.

184) Marriott or Wisman?  Mizzou needs some improvement.  IMO this is kind of like 165.  We need some improvement here.  Maybe a round of 12 to pick up some of the points lost by Lewis. 

197) Koelling? or can Marriott or Wisman go up?  Would it matter if they did? Same as 165 and 184

285) Elam:  He is only going to get bigger and stronger.  He will be improved.  As a Junior World Medalist, Elam has all the tools to A.A. at HWT.  He just needs to put on some size.  If he can get to about the size and strength of Cassar of PSU I think he becomes a podium contender. 

While I think Mizzou will be better as an overall dual team next year, I don't think that equates to them being a better NCAA championship team.  The only Legitimate finalist prospect they have next year is Eirman.  Leeth (if healthy) and Mauller are potential 3-6.  Elam, if he can get some size could maybe squeak a 6-8.  It will take all of that and some points elsewhere in the tournament to get top 4 next year.  PSU isn't going anywhere.  Michigan will probably be better, Iowa will be better, OSU will be a threat as always, and tOSU is going to be in there.  We have a team full of top 20 wrestlers, which is fantastic for Mizzou, but just a few top 10 potentials.  Eierman is about the closest to a lock that Mizzou has, if there is such a thing at the NCAA tournament. I am as big of a Mizzou fan as anyone, but just being realistic. 

If only all our posters were as objective as you. Amazing how something so obvious can be looked at by a fan of a team in just a ****ing unrealistic way. Nice post here!

16 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Leeth has 2 more years left.  Due to previous injuries, the NCAA granted him eligibility through 2020-21.  He'll be 35 yrs. old when his eligibility runs out.

The year is 2042.  The Trump Wall has been built.  It is made of Legos BUT they were purchased by a Mexican man named Manuel, so...a win?  Either way, Grant Leeth is dropping off his grandson before he heads over to wrestle in Senior Night against Brent Metcalf's youngest son.

31 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I completely agree. Maybe it makes sense if you have, the wrestlers I mean, a history of doing this and doing well but that's not the case here. It seems destined for disaster but I'll be the first one to eat my shoe if it turns out okay