dmm53

DAN KOLOV–NIKOLA PETROV Ranking Tournament (Feb.-Mar.3)

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

"general strength"? What does that mean?  I'f say that squats, deadlifts, and presses all build a lot of whole body strength.  Flexibility? Any idea how much he stretches? Parkour? lol 

Very cool to watch, but not sure how it improves wrestling.  Not sure I want a 225 lb guy doing that stuff.  Parkour type strength?  What even is that?

Let's use an analogy, and hopefully this will help resonate... 

Suppose you want to defend yourself.  We all have wrestled before, and against the "average" jackhole that tries to mug you or whatever, we can each hold our own, it's just how things are.  But... wouldn't it be cool to spruce up your "game" by trying some other "stuff"... some other techniques... oh, I dunno, like Jiu Jitsu or something?  

Yeah... so when you walk down the street, you have a.) wrestling background to help you keep your own, but now b.) Jiu Jitsu training for if the guy throws stuff at you that you hadn't seen before.  Now you can defend yourself from different attacks that you/we may not have been able to prior, with JUST a wrestling background. 

By Snyder training differently, using different Agility-based methods, I predict that he would become more 'well-rounded', and begin to execute his shots differently, which modifies his look... which lessens the impact of all the film study.  Change isn't always bad... now go back to the Brawndo.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Parkour in and of itself won't make you a great wrestler, but a lot of great wrestlers are using elements of parkour in their training. I wouldn't just dismiss that stuff out of hand. You don't need to see them doing backflips from hay rolls (Bo Nickal) although that would certainly be one place to find them. That Bo Nickal hay bale flip they showed on Flo even mentioned he wanted to work on his box jumps which are a great addition to a squat and dead lift routine. Box jumps and many types of vaults create explosive power just as lifting does. They also require balance and flexibility. 

Conor McGregor uses elements of parkour and something called movement complexity he learned from Ido Portal. That lizard walk he does is one of those movements, and this requires a lot of strength and a lot of balance and flexibility. 

Snyder's former team mate johni dijulius does a lot of free movement type stuff involving jump climbing and different other movements. I wouldn't recommend Snyder go right into all the stuff johni does because some of his stuff is crazy.

Look at the way Kyle Dake does his cartwheels, or David Taylor does his high box jump movement when coming to the match. All of these things require/give you a nice combination of strength, balance and flexibility. Kyle obviously already has the strength, and I think treep is saying it could help him to add in some different things to the routine. Does he already do these type of things? I don't know. What I do know is that while he is obviously crazy strong, he doesn't "appear" to have the same kind of elite flexibility that guys like Dake, Taylor and Nickal, among many great wrestlers possess. 

He is a different build of person with different DNA than those other guys.  We all bring something different to the table.  

I have another idea other than "Parkour": How about he not stay wrapped around Saduleev's waist the next time Abdulrashid is in on a shot.  Maybe we are not suggesting one of our best athletes ever stop working on what won him championships if he did that!

42 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Suppose you want to defend yourself.  We all have wrestled before, and against the "average" jackhole that tries to mug you or whatever, we can each hold our own, it's just how things are.  But... wouldn't it be cool to spruce up your "game" by trying some other "stuff"... some other techniques... oh, I dunno, like Jiu Jitsu or something?  

Yeah... so when you walk down the street, you have a.) wrestling background to help you keep your own, but now b.) Jiu Jitsu training for if the guy throws stuff at you that you hadn't seen before.  Now you can defend yourself from different attacks that you/we may not have been able to prior, with JUST a wrestling background. 

By Snyder training differently, using different Agility-based methods, I predict that he would become more 'well-rounded', and begin to execute his shots differently, which modifies his look... which lessens the impact of all the film study.  Change isn't always bad... now go back to the Brawndo.

Maybe those guys are good at Parkour because of their builds, weights,  and DNA?

How about this: you Mr. Treek, take up basketball because people who are good at basketball are really tall.  Maybe if you keep playing basketball you will get tall like them? That's how it works, right?  

Lets jump off some walls and balance on some ledges! That'll make us better wrestlers! Not a lot of walls to jump off on a mat.  

Parkour builds agility about as well as basketball builds height. Both are fun, but they display agility and height, rather than build those to things.

Again, I'm more for developing better technique  so as not to be rolled by Saduleev next time.  That will help him more than running up a slide in the wrong direction and jumping off of walls.

Finally: I'm pretty sure Snyder stretches and does box jumps.  He just doesn't post it on Insta.

Edited by AHamilton

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Parkour in and of itself won't make you a great wrestler, but a lot of great wrestlers are using elements of parkour in their training. I wouldn't just dismiss that stuff out of hand. You don't need to see them doing backflips from hay rolls (Bo Nickal) although that would certainly be one place to find them. That Bo Nickal hay bale flip they showed on Flo even mentioned he wanted to work on his box jumps which are a great addition to a squat and dead lift routine. Box jumps and many types of vaults create explosive power just as lifting does. They also require balance and flexibility. 

Conor McGregor uses elements of parkour and something called movement complexity he learned from Ido Portal. That lizard walk he does is one of those movements, and this requires a lot of strength and a lot of balance and flexibility. 

Snyder's former team mate johni dijulius does a lot of free movement type stuff involving jump climbing and different other movements. I wouldn't recommend Snyder go right into all the stuff johni does because some of his stuff is crazy.

Look at the way Kyle Dake does his cartwheels, or David Taylor does his high box jump movement when coming to the match. All of these things require/give you a nice combination of strength, balance and flexibility. Kyle obviously already has the strength, and I think treep is saying it could help him to add in some different things to the routine. Does he already do these type of things? I don't know. What I do know is that while he is obviously crazy strong, he doesn't "appear" to have the same kind of elite flexibility that guys like Dake, Taylor and Nickal, among many great wrestlers possess. 

I would be very surprised if Kyle Snyder isn't already doing box jumps and various tumbling exercises. Most high school programs use these exercises these days. Like AHamilton said, just because he doesn't post them on ig, doesn't mean he's not doing them. I do like how you talked about Nickal doing a back flip and box jumps as if PSU revolutionized those techniques haha. Every team has been doing that stuff for years.

Edited by qc8223

2 hours ago, qc8223 said:

I would be very surprised if Kyle Snyder isn't already doing box jumps and various tumbling exercises. Most high school programs use these exercises these days. Like AHamilton said, just because he doesn't post them on ig, doesn't mean he's not doing them. I do like how you talked about Nickal doing a back flip and box jumps as if PSU revolutionized those techniques haha. Every team has been doing that stuff for years.

This board never ceases to amaze. I never even mentioned PSU. I also talked about Johni Dijulius,  Kyle Dake, and Conor McGregor. The post was only about other training technique.

You sound incredibly defensive. Give it a rest. Geez.

Edited by TBar1977

Chamizo got a BS point off some sort of penalty when Burroughs countered a Russian arm pushing on Chamizo's face....whatever.  He got a push out too.

The rest was all vintage Burroughs. 

Edited by matts1w

12 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Maybe those guys are good at Parkour because of their builds, weights,  and DNA?

How about this: you Mr. Treek, take up basketball because people who are good at basketball are really tall.  Maybe if you keep playing basketball you will get tall like them? That's how it works, right?  

Lets jump off some walls and balance on some ledges! That'll make us better wrestlers! Not a lot of walls to jump off on a mat.  

Parkour builds agility about as well as basketball builds height. Both are fun, but they display agility and height, rather than build those to things.

Again, I'm more for developing better technique  so as not to be rolled by Saduleev next time.  That will help him more than running up a slide in the wrong direction and jumping off of walls.

Finally: I'm pretty sure Snyder stretches and does box jumps.  He just doesn't post it on Insta.

How about we use "facts", "science" and maybe a little actual video proof to demonstrate WTH I'm talking about.  Notice that its AT Ohio State.  Notice who else in the video.  I recall seeing many videos of Kyle Snyder deadlifting, bench pressing, etc., but I don't recall seeing him do these types of movements and training.  All I'm suggesting is that by incorporating these types of movements, it will "round out" the effort.  If he's already doing it, bravo, I just hadn't seen it. 

Now... your analogy is a strawman, and has zero correlation to anything that pertained to my argument.  Although I'm happy that you made an attempt, it clearly is outside your skill set.  Maybe you could practice some "mental parkour" to keep up?  

2 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

How about we use "facts", "science" and maybe a little actual video proof to demonstrate WTH I'm talking about.  Notice that its AT Ohio State.  Notice who else in the video.  I recall seeing many videos of Kyle Snyder deadlifting, bench pressing, etc., but I don't recall seeing him do these types of movements and training.  All I'm suggesting is that by incorporating these types of movements, it will "round out" the effort.  If he's already doing it, bravo, I just hadn't seen it. 

Now... your analogy is a strawman, and has zero correlation to anything that pertained to my argument.  Although I'm happy that you made an attempt, it clearly is outside your skill set.  Maybe you could practice some "mental parkour" to keep up?  

Sorry.  I don't have the time to do mental Parkour to increase my agility.  I am too busy playing basketball to increase my height.  I am only 5'11" and have noticed a lot of tall people playing high level basketball.  Thus, I am hoping by playing basketball that I will grow.

Amazing that some Limbo dancers from Caribbean islands don't get recruited to D1 wrestling programs.  Those videos seem to indicate a correlation between doing the limbo and being a good wrestler. lol

Here's my argument:: Parkour (lol) an activity best performed by smaller men, DEMONSTRATES agility rather than build it.  Also some of that stuff is just plain stupid.  Snyder should rock climb?

He has good agility... he hits low singles.He is just also a bull.I think if he actually needed to change his offense, the way to do it is with drilling... not jumping on stability balls.

7 minutes ago, jcjcjc said:

Burroughs is the next Ninja Warrior!!!

He looked good. Chamizo...little slow with the feet when hoping singles came which made the single-side double for four happen. 

Chamizo clearly needs Parkour.

37 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

Trying to navigate the punctuation in your posts truly is mental parkour.  

Burroughs really is the master of tactics and in-match adjustments; unbelievable wrestling IQ.  Chamizo, on the flip-side, seems to just wrestle his style whether he wins by 7 or loses by 7. 

That single side double was absolutely planned to get past Chamizo's sick strait leg hip defense and it was effing brilliant.

I thought the ref did a great job with the hands in the face call, and opened up the match to real wrestling rather than jabs. 

14 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Wait... are you saying Snyder needs to do BJJ too?

1 minute ago, GoNotQuietly said:

Burroughs really is the master of tactics and in-match adjustments; unbelievable wrestling IQ.  Chamizo, on the flip-side, seems to just wrestle his style whether he wins by 7 or loses by 7. 

That single side double was absolutely planned to get past Chamizo's sick strait leg hip defense and it was effing brilliant.

I thought the ref did a great job with the hands in the face call, and opened up the match to real wrestling rather than jabs. 

Chamizo will have to make adjustments before their next matchup.  Burroughs discipline in his positioning in this match was stellar, and he knows he can get to that attack again.  Chamizo is too comfortable in his ability to defend with the straight leg, and Burroughs gave him zero chance to counter.  Also if Burroughs can successfully defend the Russian tie without giving up too many points on hands to the face, I don't see Frank generating much offense.  

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

Sorry.  I don't have the time to do mental Parkour to increase my agility.  I am too busy playing basketball to increase my height.  I am only 5'11" and have noticed a lot of tall people playing high level basketball.  Thus, I am hoping by playing basketball that I will grow.

Amazing that some Limbo dancers from Caribbean islands don't get recruited to D1 wrestling programs.  Those videos seem to indicate a correlation between doing the limbo and being a good wrestler. lol

Here's my argument:: Parkour (lol) an activity best performed by smaller men, DEMONSTRATES agility rather than build it.  Also some of that stuff is just plain stupid.  Snyder should rock climb?

He has good agility... he hits low singles.He is just also a bull.I think if he actually needed to change his offense, the way to do it is with drilling... not jumping on stability balls.

I feel bad for you that you believe that playing basketball makes you taller.  You're doing well though in this whole trolling biz though, and continuing to prove my point that by incorporating alternative training methods may yield beneficial effects.  To YOUR point... according to PSU interviews by Flo, Nolf is dribbling basketballs and playing hoops all the time.... it's a break, different set of skills, different set of muscles, different mind clearing opportunity.  

Again... enjoy the Brawndo

16 minutes ago, manyak said:

Chamizo should probably spend less time clubbing and drinking champagne if he wants to return to the top of the podium. His lifestyle doesn’t seem typical of a champion but it looks fun.

Watch out... Hamilton may come after you and want him to play basketball instead.

38 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Wait... are you saying Snyder needs to do BJJ too?

Since my wrestling career has ended, I went the BJJ route, and yes... I absolutely believe that learning other Martial Arts will help his wrestling game.  I'm a huge supporter of this path.