dmm53

DAN KOLOV–NIKOLA PETROV Ranking Tournament (Feb.-Mar.3)

Oh my did Ringer look good.  That version of Ringer is a ringer... for sure...  for those with historian-esque skills, might 79kg be the deepest field we've ever had?

* Dake

* Valencia

* Ringer

* Hall

Those four, by themselves, are on that "next level" level.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Way too much of that in this tournament.  Almost feels intentional at this point.  

What score would you guys predict for the Walz/Snyder match given Snyder's most recent performances?

I’m extremely biased but I’m picking walz in the upset, 7-4. I know I’ll catch flak but ty has improved so much and yes I’m a hokie. I know you can’t compare folk to FS but ty was close with him then but has really jumped levels in FS. 

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Since my wrestling career has ended, I went the BJJ route, and yes... I absolutely believe that learning other Martial Arts will help his wrestling game.  I'm a huge supporter of this path.

Maybe he should just play wrestle, spar, or train in other countries/under different systems/with different coaches and teams more often.

47 minutes ago, Creek chub said:

I’m extremely biased but I’m picking walz in the upset, 7-4. I know I’ll catch flak but ty has improved so much and yes I’m a hokie. I know you can’t compare folk to FS but ty was close with him then but has really jumped levels in FS. 

That would be quite the upset.  Nobody domestically has come close to Snyder in years.  That said, 2 years ago Snyder dominated the field at Yarygin.  Last year he won with tighter margins.  This year he lost first round.  At least makes you stop to think for a second.  

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

That would be quite the upset.  Nobody domestically has come close to Snyder in years.  That said, 2 years ago Snyder dominated the field at Yarygin.  Last year he won with tighter margins.  This year he lost first round.  At least makes you stop to think for a second.  

Admittedly, I’m a FS novice fan. Obviously Kyle is the man to beat. To me, it appears he has either hit his ceiling or a couple other top level guys figured out the strategy to beat him. Wonder since he was able to compete on a world level so young, if he matured really early physically while other athletes typically hit their peak fitness levels later in their 20’s and occasionally in their 30’s? That’s not meant as a knock on him. He’s a freak athlete but here lately, he looks human and beatable. 

As for Ty, yeah beating Kyle would be monumental and not too likely in most peoples’ eyes. However, Ty is on record saying he wants to beat Kyle. Ty was an unheralded recruit out of Ohio who went on to be a 3 x AA. His work ethic is second to none. If he believes he can beat Kyle, I’m not going doubt him. I’ll be surprised but not a 100% though 

Well if SnyderMan does not do well at this tourney, ( I will be immensely disappointed ) and I for one think it's time to go back to the drawing board time. Now I don't know what actually is occurring with Kyle so this is all speculation on my part, but after throwing out this disclaimer, here goes. I believe his main coach is Dlagnev, and I am almost thinking that Trevel is to immersed with the OSU program, and I believe Kyle needs a coach to solely focus on him. Now I know from videos and stuff Kyle likes to lift weights, which is fine, but I am beginning to wonder if this is what he should be doing. I saw a video of Kyle Dake and his training routine, and although some of it seemed kind of kooky, but I did see him doing some specific exercises that targeted his core strength, and the point is that Kyle Dake performed very well at last year's World's, so it makes me wonder if Kyle Snyder would benefit from changing up his strength training. Now of course I don't know if Snyder isn't already doing this, because all I ever see is what he posts, which is him lifting massive amounts of weight. 

Now the other portion of this is what and who Snyder is training with, is he training with guys that he is so much better than, that it isn't much of a challenge and thus it really isn't helping him get better? No doubt Snyder is being heavily studied, and this is probably having an impact, but if I was Snyder's coach I would look for ways to keep Snyder being Snyder, a head snapping, ground gaining remorseless scoring machine. 

Well if SnyderMan does not do well at this tourney, ( I will be immensely disappointed ) and I for one think it's time to go back to the drawing board time. Now I don't know what actually is occurring with Kyle so this is all speculation on my part, but after throwing out this disclaimer, here goes. I believe his main coach is Dlagnev, and I am almost thinking that Trevel is to immersed with the OSU program, and I believe Kyle needs a coach to solely focus on him. Now I know from videos and stuff Kyle likes to lift weights, which is fine, but I am beginning to wonder if this is what he should be doing. I saw a video of Kyle Dake and his training routine, and although some of it seemed kind of kooky, but I did see him doing some specific exercises that targeted his core strength, and the point is that Kyle Dake performed very well at last year's World's, so it makes me wonder if Kyle Snyder would benefit from changing up his strength training. Now of course I don't know if Snyder isn't already doing this, because all I ever see is what he posts, which is him lifting massive amounts of weight. 
Now the other portion of this is what and who Snyder is training with, is he training with guys that he is so much better than, that it isn't much of a challenge and thus it really isn't helping him get better? No doubt Snyder is being heavily studied, and this is probably having an impact, but if I was Snyder's coach I would look for ways to keep Snyder being Snyder, a head snapping, ground gaining remorseless scoring machine. 
He needs to develop a TD to the right leg of his opponents. He mastered the left leg low ankle pick, but the competition knows this and will not lead with the right leg.

I'd like to see a fireman carry, high crotch, duck under series. Especially after his opponents gas out.

He has the technique. He just needs to master it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

This board never ceases to amaze. I never even mentioned PSU. I also talked about Johni Dijulius,  Kyle Dake, and Conor McGregor. The post was only about other training technique.

You sound incredibly defensive. Give it a rest. Geez.

TBar I give people a hard time, including you, for not being objective but in this case you're right. You just made a comment using several people as examples and before u know it they were all over you like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

While I would never dream of telling Kyle Snyder how to train and don't believe that basketball helps with your height, you certainly have to have some agility and other physical traits to be good at parkour and I certainly believe it would improve some skills or physical traits that are beneficial for wrestlers. Whether that improvement would be worth it considering the time investment that would take away from other aspects of training may never be known.

11 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I thought Chamizo looked bad. Slow, not in shape, disinterested and I could go on and on. He took some shots but I don't think he was ever really even close to scoring on Jordan. I'm assuming that Italy is paying him some decent money and I wonder if they think after this they're getting their money's worth

8 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Oh my did Ringer look good.  That version of Ringer is a ringer... for sure...  for those with historian-esque skills, might 79kg be the deepest field we've ever had?

* Dake

* Valencia

* Ringer

* Hall

Those four, by themselves, are on that "next level" level.

I don't have knowledge going back for a long time, but the epitome of deep weight class for me was the weight classes Burroughs was winning with Dake and Taylor in it.  Such as the 2015 World Team trials 74kg.  Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Howe and a younger A. Valencia!  The Burroughs / Dake / Taylor top three was so deep.    Perhaps time will prove you to be correct though.  

Hmmm, as I think more ... Valencia and Ringer have been ranked top 10 in the world right?  Pretty impressive.

Well, so far we have had some good results with Dieringer, and JB and JO, and had some decent results with Joe Colon, GHulk, although I wish they would've done a little better and come home with a Bronze. JG did get a Bronze but I am not 100% sure he's back to his old form. Henderson and BJ are still in reprechage so we will see how that plays out. Gilman was one and done, and I am not sure why, I did not get to see the match but followed it on Twitter and it seemed like he was in control but allowed several takedowns and that had to try and rally late in the 2nd period. Looking at some of Gilman's past international matches, it seems to me that sometimes he's late to get on the gas pedal. My guess is, if he wants to be successful at this year's WTT and possibly at the 2019 World's, he is going to have to find a way to step it up a notch or two. 

Tonight we have SnyderMan, Gwizz, and others getting after it, and hopefully we see some dominating performances. 

2 hours ago, de4856 said:

Don't want to make light of your opinion, and you're not the only one, but I just fail to see the sky is falling mentality a lot of people have about Snyder. He made the finals of the world championships, guy takes a shot, he has it stuffed kinda, hangs in too long, guy makes a great moving and pins him. We'll never know what would have happened if he had been able to get out; we don't know if that was the beginning of an ass whipping tech or a tight decision. Seasons over, goes home, comes back to the Yarigyn and has a bad match and the entire world thinks he needs to change everything he's doing. I just don't get it.

Connor's Dad, well I started that entire statement with "if he does not do well," but yeah, maybe I am a worry wort, and I know that two people can look at the same thing and come away with a different opinion or thoughts. But I guess I am being influenced by the negatives of the last half of last year and the beginning of this year. I did not get to see Kyle's match with Alborov where he lost to him, but I did watch Kyle's matches at the World's and to me, he just did not look like the same old Kyle that we all know and love. To me he looked tentative and slow. And of course that could be way off to what was actually happening, but that was my impression of him at that tournament. At this year's Yarygin, Kyle got dumped for a four and then ( unwisely challenged it, my opinion ), and lost his was in a 5-0 hole. He managed to battle back but ended up running out of time along with a last second step out, ended up causing Kyle to drop that match. 

Hopefully Kyle comes out tonight like a terminator and runs through everyone and makes this entire conversation and my concerns moot. 

Snyder now on Mat D

Just walked off D. Maybe one of the other mats. Who knows. 

EDIT: at least 30 minutes have elapsed and here is Snyder again looking like he is getting ready to take Mat D. 

EDIT 2: I saw Snyder warming up during the Gwizdowski match. He has now been out there warming up for over an hour. He's now pouring water on his head. 

Edited by TBar1977