dmm53

DAN KOLOV–NIKOLA PETROV Ranking Tournament (Feb.-Mar.3)

Just watched JO's match.  As others have pointed out, there was way too much backing up and lateral movement as well fleeing action if he wanted a chance to win. 

Bajrang contolled the match.  

It seems that whenever Oliver gets a lead or has a tough opponent, he almost automatically goes into shutdown mode.  It seems to be a psychological as well as physical habit.

22 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Just watched JO's match.  As others have pointed out, there was way too much backing up and lateral movement as well fleeing action if he wanted a chance to win. 

Bajrang contolled the match.  

It seems that whenever Oliver gets a lead or has a tough opponent, he almost automatically goes into shutdown mode.  It seems to be a psychological as well as physical habit.

I thought JO would score at least 10 on Bajrang's open and attacking style. Also thought the World silver medalist in Bajrang would score a bunch, which he did.

After watching the match again, it looks like JO completely gassed 2 minutes into the 1st period. Looked like he had absolutely nothing in the 2nd period. Did the 2-day weight cut wipe out JO?

And Bajrang always wrestles the full 6 minutes.

I thought JO wrestled really well.  Obviously, the back half of his finals match didn't go well, but he has been out for 2 years and didn't have a ton of international experience prior to that.  I think it is a pretty easy adjustment.  Some of it could have been nerves and just being hesitant.  He talked about that a little in an earlier interview.  I also noticed after his attacks, that he didn't get in on, he was coming up on his heels.  He gave up a couple takedowns from there.  Again, just working on circling and keeping the center of the mat can make a significant difference.  I feel better about him than I did before the tournament.  I think it is definitely going to come down to him and Zain.

With green, I was on the fence between him and Nolf.  However, at this point I think I would lean a little toward Nolf.  If they wrestled right today I think Green would take him.  However, by final X with Nolf focusing on freestyle, I think he will be the guy. 

I also think it is going to be Fix or Lee this next time around.  Gilman, has done a nice job the last couple of years, but he may be at his peak.  

In the end, I think 74 kg and up will be the same representation at the worlds in 2019, with the weights below being all new representatives.  JMO

I'll have to wach it again but did you see the technique bajrang was using to get to his single legs?  He would step on JO's toe and keep his foot down before attacking causing jo to fall back off balance and leave his leg wide open.  Really cool.

40 minutes ago, scramble said:

I thought JO wrestled really well.  Obviously, the back half of his finals match didn't go well, but he has been out for 2 years and didn't have a ton of international experience prior to that.  I think it is a pretty easy adjustment.  Some of it could have been nerves and just being hesitant.  He talked about that a little in an earlier interview.  I also noticed after his attacks, that he didn't get in on, he was coming up on his heels.  He gave up a couple takedowns from there.  Again, just working on circling and keeping the center of the mat can make a significant difference.  I feel better about him than I did before the tournament.  I think it is definitely going to come down to him and Zain.

With green, I was on the fence between him and Nolf.  However, at this point I think I would lean a little toward Nolf.  If they wrestled right today I think Green would take him.  However, by final X with Nolf focusing on freestyle, I think he will be the guy. 

I also think it is going to be Fix or Lee this next time around.  Gilman, has done a nice job the last couple of years, but he may be at his peak.  

In the end, I think 74 kg and up will be the same representation at the worlds in 2019, with the weights below being all new representatives.  JMO

Can Fix make 57 kg?

46 minutes ago, JBluegill133 said:

Interesting! Good catch, I hadn't noticed that while watching it live. In addition to those ones you mentioned

3:45 - tries it and misses because JO sees him trying to step
4:07 - he gets to the leg and scores. (Was that 2 because he hit his hip? Bajrang only had one leg.)
6:54 - step and scores
7:54 - tries and misses
7:56 - knocks him back off of it and scores

Bajrang had super heavy hands too that took their toll. Scores came much quicker later in the match.

1 minute ago, Relentless125 said:

Interesting! Good catch, I hadn't noticed that while watching it live. In addition to those ones you mentioned

3:45 - tries it and misses because JO sees him trying to step
4:07 - he gets to the leg and scores. (Was that 2 because he hit his hip? Bajrang only had one leg.)
6:54 - step and scores
7:54 - tries and misses
7:56 - knocks him back off of it and scores

Bajrang had super heavy hands too that took their toll. Scores came much quicker later in the match.

He is such a quality wrestler. Im a huge fan.  Heavy hands wear his opponent down, they get flat footed, toe stomp single....just wonderful!

Already mentioned by some posters, but wow, what a fantastic tournament for Ringer! Looks like he took the energy and electricity from Gallagher-Iba right into Bulgaria. Congrats to Alex!
I love his style.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JBluegill133 said:

I'll have to wach it again but did you see the technique bajrang was using to get to his single legs?  He would step on JO's toe and keep his foot down before attacking causing jo to fall back off balance and leave his leg wide open.  Really cool.

That's an old, little trick..  Reza Yazdani used to use that move quite a bit.

Well I am glad Kyle won, but you got to love Andritsev, the guy is always moving forward, always jogging back to the circle, always nodding in agreement, he must be fun to coach, and for me, he's fun to watch. 

14 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Very surprised to see adritsev hang with Snyder. Old guy. Had some good wins to make finals. 

Yes, Andriitsev had a good match against Reza Yazdani this tournament. He beat Reza in a close match and it looked like he was ready for the foot stomp. Reza hit it all day for td's but not once against Andriitsev.